Worth cleaning the inlet manifold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth cleaning the inlet manifold?

I am looking for opinion re removing my inlet manifold for cleaning.

Last weekend while fiddling around with the egr pipe I noticed that the egr entry to the intake pipe was about 1/2 blocked. Not a problem in itself as the less egr the better! But thought I would take the intake pipe off for a look see and a clean.
    It had maybe up to 5mm of gunk on the walls down stream of the egr, was not blocked nearly as badly as some of the later model inlet manifolds that I have seen on this forum, and possibly not enough to significantly effect performance.
    The end of the inlet manifold that I could acces probably also had around 5mm of gunk. Perhaps not that surprising as the Paj has done 180k.

I cleaned the intake pipe (the dirtiest job I have ever done ) but ran out of time so put it all back together without cleaning the inlet manifold.

These are my questions:
    Is the inlet manifold likely to be badly gummed up to the extent that it is affecting performance?

Do I risk damaging the injectors by removing the injector pipes to get to the manifold?

Thanks for you input.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    MY06 NP GLX DID Auto, ARB winch bar, Bushskinz front + self designed transmission protection, Tigerz 12,000lbs Winch w/ rope, Snorkel, 2" lift with Lovells springs & Bilstien shocks, 265/70R16 D697 AT's, Self made auto lock-up kit, Leaking Aux bat w/ Redarc isolator, 10" Tab Navigator, UHF, Roo Lite spotties, Cargo barrier, Rhino HD Roof bars & roof basket on track mount, Waeco, self made camping box, TVan and lots of fun...

Is there no one out there with any experience and or opinion on the DID NM/NP inlet manifold and egr gunk!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    MY06 NP GLX DID Auto, ARB winch bar, Bushskinz front + self designed transmission protection, Tigerz 12,000lbs Winch w/ rope, Snorkel, 2" lift with Lovells springs & Bilstien shocks, 265/70R16 D697 AT's, Self made auto lock-up kit, Leaking Aux bat w/ Redarc isolator, 10" Tab Navigator, UHF, Roo Lite spotties, Cargo barrier, Rhino HD Roof bars & roof basket on track mount, Waeco, self made camping box, TVan and lots of fun...

Comment

No damage to injectors by removing fuel line and yes the manifold is well worth an inspection and clean.
      .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
      NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

just came across this tread, if the pipe had 5mm of crap on it actual manifold will have a lot more build up especially towards the end bit as well in the throttle looking thingys.
        if you have the time do it, my advice check the clearances much much easier to do while all is apart.
        NT 2011 DiD 30th Anniversary Edition, factory RD Lock, Toyo RT 33”, PWR interCooler, PWR radiator, MRT EcuTek tune, OL Steel Loop Bar, VRS 9500, ARB Awning, Kings rear awning, Full bushkinz, HD lovells + Koni RAIDS, front & back nolathane, EGR Block, 52'' LED bar, Scan Gauge 2, Projecta 150A, Optima + Fullriver, ProVent 200, Airtec Snorkel, Beaudesert Exhaust.
        Towing 2015 New Age Manta Ray 19BC

Comment

I had the inlet manifold cleaned after looking at EGR and the mechanic said it was the worst he had seen. The gunk in the inlet manifold was even in the inlet runners. I use to get coughs under hard acceleration and black smoke out the exhaust once in a while, it could of been bits of gunk coming loose in the inlet manifold. It hasn't happen since cleaning.

If your seeing gunk in the EGR then I would be taking off the inlet manifold.
          Cheers,
          Paul

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X