Motor transplant 3.0 to 2.8 td

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor transplant 3.0 to 2.8 td

G'DAY GUYS,FIRST OFF I WANT TO THANK THE PEOPLE WHO RUN THIS CLUB WEB SETUP FOR THE FANTASTIC SITE AND SECONDLY I WISH ALL THE CLUB MEMBERS AND THEIR FAMILYS A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY AND SAFE NEW YEAR
    OK NOW I NEED SOME HELP FROM THOSE OF YOU WHO WOULD KNOW ,I WANT TO SWAP OUT MY 6G72 3.0 LTR 94 MOD,FOR A 2.8 LTR 4M40T OUT OF A 97 MOD,WHAT I WANTED TO KNOW IS
    1.ARE THE ENGINE MOUNTS FOR THE V6 IN THE SAME SPOT ON THE CHASSIS FOR THE 4CYL DIESEL?
    2.I AM NOT WORRIED ABOUT GEARBOX FIT AS BOTH GEAR BOXES ARE 5 SPEED SUPER SELECT (SO I WILL PULL THE V6 AND GEAR BOX OUT AND REPLACE WITH 4CYL AND ITS BOX)
    3. ARE THE RADIATORS THE SAME?
    IF ANYONE HAS DONE THIS OR KNOWS ANYTHING I HAVE QUESTIONED I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR RESPONSE AS I WANT TO DO THIS IN THE CHRISTMAS BREAK CHEERS AND THANKS IN ADVANCE, REGARDS JIM

the engine mounts and subframe are different . radiators are different from memory.

if you are going to spend so much money on such an old car -
    why would you waste your time and money going to a 4M40 ? its easier , cheaper , more powerful and way more reliable to upgrade to a SOHC 3.5 from a later Pajero.

better still , just buy a later Pajero. better brakes , better suspension , off road capability and look heaps nicer.

Comment

have a look at this thread as i recently used a petrol body to swap onto a diesel chassis.

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ation+bodyswap

I believe the chassis rails are the same but you need the diesel mounts,

Radiators are different, and you will need lots of other bits

some odd things you will not have thought of because they are different

engine bay wiring loom ( complete) under dash is the same and ecu ( ecu is actually for ancillaries)

instrument cluster and loom.

Fuel lines are totally different

fuel pickup in tank is different , diesel just runs pick up pipe in tank, petrol runs pump in tank, physical tanks are the same

Fuel filter and mount for the diesel filter

air filter and mounts, petrol and diesel are totally different mounts

heat shield mounts are different

accelerator cable

diesel cruise control module, these are different to the petrol one ( still haven't solved this one on my sons)

complete exhaust from the diesel
      intercooler mounts from the diesel, you need 3, 1 is common on the petrol

Radiator top and bottom mounts from the diesel
      All mounts need to have spot welds drilled out so you can get the mounts, i remounted them all in the petrol body using rivnuts and bolts rather than rewelding them, did the same with the air cleaner and heat shield mounts.

there is probably a couple of other minor things, but yes it is doable, it is easier if you have the diesel body as a donor vehicle just for the bits. Is not a single weekends work
      Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
      Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

Comment

forgot to add you also need clutch master cylinder,pipes, dampener and slave and brake booster as they are also different, and some of the vacuum pipes are different lengths. If you have aircon you also need the diesels step up solenoid which is on the firewall next to the fuel filter.
        Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
        Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

Comment

thank you very much schitzel that response just blew me away i really did'nt think the cars were so differant ,i have the full drive line from a gen 3 and because my 3.0ltr gen 2 is blowing smoke on startup and on idle i thought i would just replace the petrol with the diesel BUT! wow ok then i think i'll look for a good gen 3 diesel i had before this one a beautiful square gaurd gen 3 she was spotless i let a mate borrow her to tow his boat and he got "T" boned destroying my beast,insurance would'nt pay cause he had alchol on his breath and failed the roadside........aaaaahhhhhhhhhh any way dude thank you heeps for your help all the best have a good one,jim

Comment

kricky i hope alls well with the young fella,cheers mate

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X