X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NJ 2.8 TD Transfer Case

Hi all.
    Just having a few issues.
    When driving in 2WD, the transfer case slips partially into 4wd.
    Any ideas on a repair?

WHAT IS IT DOING? Opps didn't mean to yell. Are the lights coming on, is it making noises? My last NJ used to make a whirring noise from the front end as if on side of the front axle had engaged. Was intermittent so was not really concerned.
    2007 NS VRX 3.2 Manual, 265/70/17 , 3' Scott Rods Exhaust, SPVi EGR Module, TJM Snorkle. 2008 ML triton 3.2 manual.

Comment

It will be in normal 2wd suburban driving. I start to hear a partial engagement of gearing coming from beneath the car.
      To stop the noise I have to immediately put the transfer lever into 4wd. The noise immediately stops. I can then put it back into 2wd, but within a few minutes it is partially engaging again.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwioutrigger View Post
        It will be in normal 2wd suburban driving. I start to hear a partial engagement of gearing coming from beneath the car.
        To stop the noise I have to immediately put the transfer lever into 4wd. The noise immediately stops. I can then put it back into 2wd, but within a few minutes it is partially engaging again.
        check your vacuum lines to the front diff. Sounds like you are losing vacuum and front diff is trying to engage.
        Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
        Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

Comment

Vacuum lines.

Now I'm confused!
          I didn't realise that the pajero had Vacuum lines running to the front diff?
          What are they for and how could my scenario be explained by an issue with the front vacuum lines?
          Cheers

Comment

there is a clutch on the front diff that is vacuum operated, when no vacuum is present the front diff is engaged ( default position) as soon as it gets vacuum the dog clutch is disengaged and front diff disconnected which gives you 2wd. if you get initial vacuum and it leaks or the solenoid that operates it is faulty it ends up between the two, when you engage 4wd via the transfer it hides the problem.
            Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
            Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

Comment

Check?

Great to know, thanks!
              Now how do I check it?

Comment

check the pipes and solinoid...

follow the pipe and check for breaks or simply replace the pipe and see if it fixes it..

Comment

The front diff has a freewhel clutch. This disconnects drivers side axle so that when passenger side turns the diff centre it can freely turn the drivers axle in reverse zeroing out the need to turn the tailshaft which inturn reduces noise and drag. Drivers axle is made up of two axles, a short one from diff centre to freewheel clutch and a long one from other side of freewheel clutch to cv.

The actuator for this freewheel clutch is vaccum operated with a diaphragm. The freewheel clutch has a spring to keep it defaulted to engaged in the event of no vacuum present.

There are two solenoids, one for either side of diaphragm. The blue dot is engage and yellow dot is disengage (both solenoids are identical, dot colour is just for visual aid in identifying which one is for what and tube routing). These solenoids are threeway, with no power ports 1 and 2 are connected, when powered ports 1 and 3 are connected.
                  The way it works is when in 2wd the solenoids are powered on and the yellow supplies vacuum to disengage side of diaphragm and the blue solenoid now vents the engage side to atmosphere so diaphragm is empty of vacuum on engage side. Vice versa when in 4wd and solenoids are not powered.
                  Despite being spring loaded, the blue dot is just there to help the spring engage the clutch. Without it the engage spring would be a lot stiffer and more vacuum pressure then available from the intake manifold would be needed to disengage.

If you have a slight leak in the vac lines in 2wd the spring can overcome the disengage vac pressure and leave it semi engaged/disengaed and the front lights will start to flash.

Actuator and diaphragm is on the back of the front diff and solenoids are on drivers side wheel arch in engine bay. Vac line comes from brake booster hardline on firewall then goes through a one way check valve then into a 4way splitter. One goes out to vacuum canister on xmember next to front diff through a hardline, one goes to bluedot solenoid and other yellow through a hardline(4 is obviously the main vac line just mentioned)
                  97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
                  97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

Awesome info

Great info !
                    I have noticed (when 4wd lever in 4wd) that the front wheel lights flicker on and off, sometimes locking on and then dropping out.
                    Dies this make sense? If so, what is my best repair option?

Comment

Can anyone post a picture of the vacuum hoses? I seem to have misplaced my workshop manual and I think I am having the same/similar problem

Comment

Not trying to hijack your thread but as I am having similar problems......

I have visually checked the vacuum hoses and they all look to be in good condition. No obvious wear and tear. So now I am looking at the solenoids but I can for the life of me find their correct part name in my workshop manual (I eventually found it when I realised I was looking for the wrong one. The Paj manual is soft cover whereas the Peugeot 205 manual is hard cover and I was looking for a hard cover Paj manual.....)

Can anyone tell me the correct name for the solenoids? I dropped into Repco and they had nothing on their system and I haven't gotten around to contacting my local MMA dealer.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X