Starter Motor Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Motor Trouble

G'day all, I got my paws on a 86 (ND) Pajero (lwb 2.6 petrol) a few months back in WA, but the starter is dead, (although if you smack it with a hammer...enough said...

Anyway, I'm looking around to try and get a hold of another one, I don't suppose anyone has any idea what, A. They Cost, and B. If anyone is wrecking one or C. if there is any other Mitsubishi vehicles that would carry a part that would fit?

Hi 4 x 4 Dingo

When I have had starter problems in the past I take the offender to the local auto electrician who overhauls the starter and then I refit. I figure if there is one part of the vehicle that you need reliability from, it's the starter. If you get one from a wreck or a used one you might just be buying another starter that is close to needing a rebuild anyway. The last one was from a na pajero, not 100% sure of price but I think it was around $100 ish, but that was 6 years ago. I would suggest you phone around for quotes on getting yours overhauled

regards Kc

Comment

Thanks, I'll do another call around tomorrow

Comment

i got a 89 2.6 pajero my starter went a while back i replaced it with one from a magna i think from a wreckers cost me 55 bucks

Comment

Try this site :http://www.stores.ebay.com.au/Starter-Center

Brand new aftermarket starter for NA - NH $132.

Comment

Jus tmake sure it's the starter and not the wiring, had a similar problem with one of my Paj's recently, thought it was the starter, then the solenoid, later found out it was the lead that triggers the solenoid on the starter, was covered with filth and loss of contact resulted. 20c later and a new spade plug end and all's well.

Comment

4X4 Dingo,

How'd you go?? I've got the same problem at the moment with my NK 2.8TD. I won't get near it till next week, just wondering how much the auto elec. charged you, so I get an idea and don't get rolled. Just as a matter of interest to everyone out there, thought I'd try Mitsubishi for a genuine, $1022. I live half my life in Taiwan, other half in Brissie, and they actually manufacture non-genuine starters here, but the language barrier is proving quite difficult to find a supplier. Will keep on trying and post results if I get through it.
              Anyone else have some starter info??
              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by spoon View Post
                4X4 Dingo,

How'd you go?? I've got the same problem at the moment with my NK 2.8TD. I won't get near it till next week, just wondering how much the auto elec. charged you, so I get an idea and don't get rolled. Just as a matter of interest to everyone out there, thought I'd try Mitsubishi for a genuine, $1022. I live half my life in Taiwan, other half in Brissie, and they actually manufacture non-genuine starters here, but the language barrier is proving quite difficult to find a supplier. Will keep on trying and post results if I get through it.
                Anyone else have some starter info??
                Thanks
                Its actually quite a common problem with the older Pajero's it turns out, I got a brand one from a local sparky for about $230 (new gear reduction model) and fit it myself, and saved about a hundred more, bit of a job I do warn you as its located right above the drive shaft where it crosses the stabilizer bar, fortunatly for me my uncle is an auto electrician himself and has a car lifter... that really made the job easier

Given the price of reconditioning in WA, it was only about $30 more to get a new one.

Comment

Working...
                X