high pitched whine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high pitched whine

Hi. I have a 2001 Pajero I have had it for almost 12 months. it has developed a high pitched whine which seems to eminate from the front of the engine. To me it sounds like a belt or jockey wheel and the whine changes as the sterring is turned. It is getting worse and more annoying. Doesn't do it when cold but as it warms up the whine starts....any ideas?

Petrol? Cam belt idler / tensioner pulley.

Pat
    16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
    10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

thanks Pat

i have to do the timing belt...simple job otherwise? if i do both.

Comment

The early model NM Pajero had problems with the power steering reservoir causing a "whine" type noise.
        An improved/modified reservoir was made to fix it, at a cost so high, people became used to the noise!
        Not much change from $300 from memory!

Comment

Had forgotten about that one Para! Mine had that noise & it varied with steering lock and thus load on the pump. Mitsu fixed it for free as it was a "field service buletin", (which is not a recall).
          16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
          10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

Cant comment on pajeros, but my daughters elderly magna has the same problem on the odd occasion I find that the reservoir usually requires topping up even though the level is between the two check marks. Also a change to a different brand of power steering fluid (I use castrol in it at the moment )seems to have alleviated the noise problem

Comment

Working...
            X