Cylinder head 4m40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder head 4m40

Save me, my 95 turbo diesel pajero has suffer the embarassment of a cracked head!!!! Mechanic claims after pressure testing the crack is unweldable.
    What are my option without being ripped off? Any secondhand ones out there.
    Please give advice$$$$$$

regards Firefly

Noticed this hadn't been answered.

Kinda weird since I've heard of at least four 4M40's locally that have done something major lately too. One apparently hung a leg out of bed at 100km/h, another snapped the crank in four places, one dropped a valve and then there's mine with blown head gasket.

Best shot is BMI in Rocklea http://www.brisbanemotorimports.com.au/ can sell you a new 4M40 bare head for $750 or so.

What that means is you need an engineering shop to swap and cut the valves, swap the cam and shim the valve clearance. $200ish

Head gasket is $120 or so and associated gaskets on top of that price.

Be worth a few coins if a mechanic is doing the job for you.

Mine last week blew the head gasket on route to Qld, which means I didn't get there.

I've pulled my diesel out since it's almost pulled down with the head off and was close to needing a new clutch anyway. It'll only need minor work to fix the factory near enough tolerances and was made on a Monday before Smoko as to now it has managed 173000km.

I don't know what the others are doing about theirs, theirs will undoubtably cost more to fix than mine anyway. Leg out of bed and crank snap will be looking for another complete motor is my guess.

A hot tested unknown import low KM 4M40 turbo is $4750 in Brisbane. A lot of money especially if it never had an oil change in those low KM. My rebuild should cost less than that using new stuff.

Good Luck
    'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

I am hoping that you guys have just bought lemon 4M40's - I don't want expenses like that coming my way - especially when i have some big trips planned ahead!
      NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger J View Post
        I am hoping that you guys have just bought lemon 4M40's
        Really all machinery breaks at some time.

I wouldn't say mine's a lemon, I certianly don't blame it for failing just disappointed.... but I'll make it stronger this time.

What I didn't mention was with mine the previous owner had Cooma Diesel fiddle with it so it's not a factory tuned plodder. Need to expect something to fail if the expectations of performance have been lifted to a point where it's close to the edge.

Though... I also know someone who has a little 4M40 with 510,000km on the clock and never had work beyond scheduled services... but then he doesn't go beyond 80km/hr or 2500rpm.

Do this and all should be good.
        'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

My sons 2.8 has done 340000 and still goes like new.
          Errol. NW 3.2 GLX Auto. Nudge Bar, Side steps, 265/65/17 Bridgstones, 265/70/17 Cooper M/T 2" lift King springs, Extra 60 lt. fuel tank.

Comment

Ah yeh I spose you will always hear both good and bad stories.

Though I think if mine does ever do any damage beyond reasonable repair I think a 4M41 upgrade would be on the cards.
            NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X