A COMMENT ON NP DiD VALVE CLEARANCE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A COMMENT ON NP DiD VALVE CLEARANCE

Some time back I received good advice from the Forum about how to go about checking the valve clearance on my 2004 NP DiD. I have now checked the valve clearance twice with 15000km between the first check and the second check as recommended by the service manual.

On the second check, the clearances seemed to have changed very little - if at all. I did make some adjustments but this was mainly so that I felt more like it was worth the trouble.

It seems to me that checks of valve clearance every 15000km might be unecessary. I find it a pretty awkward job and so am looking for comments on my notion that a check every 50000kms would be adequate.

Cheers

Denis

Hi Denis,
    I have a relative who has been a mechanic 30years +, he adjusts my valve clearances, he is of the opinion that every 50,0000km is more than enough, as most diesels will maintain clearances after the second check. ie 15,000 km for the long term.

regards John

Comment

I have had the dealers say that they only check them when they sound "tappety". I checked ours at 25K and dont expect to bother for another 50K or so.
      16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
      10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

Mine's done almost 70k and has not needing adjusting yet...
        --
        Marquis
        SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

Hi all, I have been searching for the actual valve clearance figure for my DiD in the 4M41 service manual and can't sdeem to locate it, what is the figure that is used ? I am just picking up my car from its previous owner and its getting its RWC at the mechanics - I said it sounded a little tappety but the mechanic (the previous owners mechanic) said that the valve clearances were "self adjusting" in the DiD - I reckon thats bull**it as the service manual clearly shows an adjustment screw on the rocker arms. Thanks for your help

Ben B
          2002 NM DiD Auto. 322,000 Km, still going strong
          2010 NT DiD Auto. New toy.

Comment

Originally posted by Denis View Post
            Some time back I received good advice from the Forum about how to go about checking the valve clearance on my 2004 NP DiD. I have now checked the valve clearance twice with 15000km between the first check and the second check as recommended by the service manual.

On the second check, the clearances seemed to have changed very little - if at all. I did make some adjustments but this was mainly so that I felt more like it was worth the trouble.

It seems to me that checks of valve clearance every 15000km might be unecessary. I find it a pretty awkward job and so am looking for comments on my notion that a check every 50000kms would be adequate.

Cheers

Denis
            Hi Dennis how did u go with checking it there is a link to a PDF on forum but it's not working. Simple questions like where no 1 piston is my np did has done 322200 and my local mechanic is not sure if he up to it lol. I prob Need to change top guide to regards Gavin

Comment

It's actually quite simple and any reasonable mechanic or mechanically savvy person should be able to do it. Engine cover off, EGR crossover pipe off, rocker cover off, then it's all in front of you including the top guide up front (2 bolts and it's changed). No 1 is in the front, only turn it clockwise, check the clearance from front to back rotating the motor as you go to face the lobes away from the followers. Adjusters use a locknut and a screw arrangement. Much much easier and nicer than all the toyotas / nissans with shim arrangements.

If your local cant or wont do that I'd strongly suggest getting a new one.

Pat
              16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
              10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X