NL 3.5 V6 Exhaust smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL 3.5 V6 Exhaust smoke

Our 98 NL 3.5 V6 was converted to gas about 2k kms ago. The engine has done 173k kms and is currently running with 15W - 40 oil. Last oil change was at 170k kms.

Since the conversion I've noticed white/blue oil smoke from the exhaust after idling or low engine speed for a couple of minutes when the engine is hot. There is no oil smoke on start up or during normal driving but once it has been idling for a few minutes it gives out a puff of smoke when you initially accelerate - the problem then seems to go away.

I hadn't noticed this problem prior to the conversion and it doesn't seem to be as bad when running on petrol.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Adrian

1998 NL GLS - 3.5L V6

Sprint Gas LPG, Alloy bullbar, Hayman Reece H/D towbar, Rola sports racks + a wish list!

noy sure if this will help , i had the same issue with my nm 3.5 , it turned out to be that the uper cylinder lube had to be trimed down a bit , solved my problem hope it solves yours

Comment

Blowing blue smoke after idling - damaged valve stem seals, common problem for all mitsubishi / pajero once engine has done 150,000 km or more.

It might be just a coincidence with your conversion of LPG 2000 Km ago. Your engine has done 170,000 Km, not surprise that it starts blowing white/blue smoke.

Comment

6G74 has done his stem seals. As Shun says - fairly common on them. They harden with age rather than KM.

Not exactly sure how you turn down upper cyl lube? Restrictors in the oil galleries when performing a rebuild?
        16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
        10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I've looked around on some other mitsubishi forums and valve stem seals seem to be a common problem (on all mitsubishi 4's and V6's) - seems like this is the most likely cause.

I also found some comments that problem is more visible with LPG as it is a "dry" fuel. When running on petrol the oil is diluted by the petrol and until leak gets too bad it may not be as visible - also probably explains why it has only become visible since the conversion.

Prices for the replacement seals ranged from $200 to $500 - any ideas on a ballpark figure?
          Thanks

Adrian

1998 NL GLS - 3.5L V6

Sprint Gas LPG, Alloy bullbar, Hayman Reece H/D towbar, Rola sports racks + a wish list!

Comment

100% valve stem seals. Same symptoms on my 3.5 nk @ 175k, cost me $750 to have them replaced, at the mechanics for 2 days so i thought it was a decent price. Can DIY if you know what your doing, bloke who did mine says the 3.5 is one of the tricky ones, so beware!! No smoke at all now, using castrol magnetec, 195k now and doesn't use a drop, worth the money!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X