No announcement yet.

TC Patch Loom Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks, Vlad. So, to make sure I understand, when I switch the TC off, the ASTC ECU thinks the RDL has been activated but because it doesn't get a confirming signal from the transfer ECU it flashes the warning light. Also, I gather you're saying the light continues to flash for about 30 minutes then stops but throws an error which has to be fixed by activating the TC again. Can this done by using the TC patch loom on swtch?

I've now re-read Jasonmc's post again which makes much more sense to me. His solution, initially, to getting the TC back on was to switch the engine off and back on, but it seems if he de-activates the ASC first he doesn't need to do this. Does that gel with what you know of how your patch loom works? It seems to imply using the patch loom switch doesn't work but he hasn't said whether he tried that.

On the plus side, I don't mind the light flashing, being normal, as it will remind me to turn the TC back on, depending of course on how long I've had it off (and the flashing has stopped).

Comment

• Either turn on the TC with the loom or restart. I guess turning ASC on again does the same. Remember that the patch loom is a traction aid, and not something you use all the time. Don't want to end up crashing because TC and everything else is disabled.
      Please call me Vlad.
      -----------------------
      MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mundy55 View Post

I've now re-read Jasonmc's post again which makes much more sense to me. His solution, initially, to getting the TC back on was to switch the engine off and back on, but it seems if he de-activates the ASC first he doesn't need to do this. I was on Fraser island & using the patch loom to kill the traction system, press any button i like can not re-activate the system, switch the vehicle off & retsart system & everyone was happy. Short time frames no problems, longer time frames problem.

I was on Moreton, switch ASC vehicle button first & then patch loom button traction off & system didn't appear to become upset, not on any occasion in 4HL/ centre diff locked, rear diff lock open not locked.
        But the driving times were shorter as Moreton is smaller place, so i'm yet to be sure, that it was just that i didn't have an error activated for long enough to upset the system until such time as i switch car on/ off if that makes sense?

It seems to imply using the patch loom switch doesn't work but he hasn't said whether he tried that. Correct, until i switch ignition on/off.
        I haven't asked Vlad as figured diff lock light flashing made sense & was working on understanding if as above solved prolonged fault being sensed by system etc.

But no biggie as long as it reactivates when i switch car on/off all good & I use the standard system unless required otherwise.

Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Originally posted by vladguan View Post
          ..... Remember that the patch loom is a traction aid, and not something you use all the time. Don't want to end up crashing because TC and everything else is disabled.
          Agreed. Whilst I wanted the option to do so, its not clear to me yet whether, on sand (or anywhere else for that matter), it's more effective to have TC off and RDL off rather than RDL on and TC off. If the latter, you don't need the option of turning off the TC, just activate the RDL.

Has anyone compared the different approaches in practise? Should one not activate the RDL on sand?

Comment

• I don't turn the diff lock on when sand driving but I do want to be able to turn off the TC in that case. So Vlad's mod solves that problem.

On high country tracks where I do most of my off road stuff, it's the opposite. I want RDL and TC on together.

My mod is on it's way in the post, thanks Vlad.
            2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

Agreed. Whilst I wanted the option to do so, its not clear to me yet whether, on sand (or anywhere else for that matter), it's more effective to have TC off and RDL off rather than RDL on and TC off. If the latter, you don't need the option of turning off the TC, just activate the RDL.

Has anyone compared the different approaches in practise? Should one not activate the RDL on sand?
              Here's an example of the benefit of difflock in sand.

Ignoring the high speed approach by some (very hard on the vehicle and occupants), multiple attempts were required for the non-difflock vehicles to negotiate this steep climb that was badly scolloped.

Sitting in a hole and waiting for the TC to activate just makes for deeper holes. Traction Controll OFF would just make it worse as wheels will continue to spin.

Difflock is pre-emptive whereas Traction Control is reactive. By the time a wheel spins and TC activates then some momentum will be lost.

If you are going to be lifting wheels then use difflock in sand. Otherwise no perceived benefit for me.

ASC is the real killer in sand, not to be confused with Traction Control. Hit that button!
              20200929_092505.jpg
              2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• RDL on sandy climbs. With TC off may help but RDL definitely makes it easy. Used RDL with tyres at 18PSI and easily climbed the dunes at Coffin Bay NP early this year.
                Please call me Vlad.
                -----------------------
                MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• Hi Vlad,

Im keen to purchase one of your TC mod switches, if they are still available?

Comment

• Shane, put up a message on Vlad's Facebook page which he set up for orders.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2155678484721760
                    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                      I don't turn the diff lock on when sand driving but I do want to be able to turn off the TC in that case. So Vlad's mod solves that problem.

On high country tracks where I do most of my off road stuff, it's the opposite. I want RDL and TC on together.

My mod is on it's way in the post, thanks Vlad.
                      This is how i see it as well, i have options

Thanks Vlad
                      Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

it's more effective to have TC off and RDL off rather than RDL on and TC off. If the latter, you don't need the option of turning off the TC, just activate the RDL.

Should one not activate the RDL on sand?
                        That's correct as i see it for sure, me personally i don't like making both rear wheels travel at the same speed at all times, which is what rear diff locked obviously does.
                        Not saying on sand that will or will not cause an issue, it's a soft giving medium, it's just my personal choice.

I will activate diff lock, climbing off a hard beach up hill if extended distance etc & sand is soft & fluffy as example if i'm in doubt.

But i want to switch off traction braking, with diff not locked otherwise, suits me.

As Ian says climbing ability on hard surfaces, diff locked & front wheels traction on, is basically in a way "poor mans" front diff lock to me.

Comment

• I fitted mine today and it works perfectly. I used the space on the driver's side next to my left knee and took the factory ASC and the blank and taped them up behind the panel as I've never used that ASC button anyway.

I moved the sonar button to the right but found that the TC switch wouldn't hold in that socket, probably due to the sonar being there for years and the slot maybe slightly worn so I just put the sonar back where it was and will have the TC switches on either side. It's porbably not a bad idea, so I don't inadvertantly push the wrong one.

Going for a test drive with everything running (AutoMate, Paddles, dash cam, TPMS, etc) it all went as planned and I could switch the TC off and on with no problems. What a great mod, can't wait to try it out in the high country.

TC Mod switches.jpg

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X