Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just been given a Canon AE-1 Program what do I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just been given a Canon AE-1 Program what do I do?

Camera is as new. Has normal lens 50mm, telephoto 80mm - 200mm and wide angle XXmm?. Also Canon 244T flash
    Is this something to put on the shelf and admire or do people still use them?
    The thing is beautiful.
    What to do???

Cheers
    Last edited by Goodsy; 09-11-13, 05:11 PM.
    .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
    NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

They were a very popular camera in the eighties, if you can get hold of 35mm film and some one that can develop them for you. Great pictures I would probably try a local camera club.

From the Canon museum.

MarketedApril 1981Original Price92,000 yen (w/New FD 50mm f/1.4SSC)
    86,500 yen (w/New FD 50mm f/1.8SC)
    60,000 yen (body)
    It was five years after the AE-1 became a worldwide hit. Many users wanted the program AE mode that was featured in the A-1. This mode set both the shutter speed and aperture automatically. The user just had to press the shutter button.

The AE-1 Program camera was developed in response to the demand for program AE and to succeed the original AE-1. The camera now had both shutter speed-priority AE and program AE modes. It also sported a palm grip like the A-1. The camera was also compatible with the A-1's Motor Drive MA. The viewfinder featured LEDs. It was quite an advanced camera.

To make Motor Drive MA compatible with the AE-1 Program camera, it had three electrical contacts instead of only two which the original version had. Also, Power Winder A was converted into Power Winder A2 for higher performance.
    Robin.
    Mods. After market cup holders. 4 After market weather shields from ebay that look and work great. No more messy hair NG 1989 V6 3Ltr. Super Wagon. Electric sun roof, cruise control, ashtrays and great seats and new motor.
    To find yourself, think for yourself © Socrates 469 BC

Comment

Put a roll of film through it next time you're in the bush with the Paj!

Exciting to get it back and see how they turn out.

Comment

Onto the shelf then I think. I'm glad film photography is a thing of the past.
        Take 4 rolls of film into get developed to get 5 good shots at $5 each + film and a week then 24 hours wait.
        People now a days have a totally different way of shooting.
        Take 200 pics and get 15 good ones and consider it a win.
        NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

There are still some photographers, that prefer to shoot with film, mostly with low speed film such a fuji velvia 50

But totally agree expensive way of getting shots, due to only getting a couple decent ones out of 24 or 36 frames.
          NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, roof racks otherwise stock as a rock.

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.
          Wanting: Rocksliders, 2" lift, snorkel or perhaps I should wait and purchase a NS swb in 12months time.

Comment

I still have my film bodies - one of my clients still prefer transparencies, so I will will use the DSLR to check the shots and get the correct exposure/composition to the client's liking etc - then use the film camera with some Fuji Velvia and get what they want..

Comment

Can you still get Slide Film Development? Slides have a Amazing Colour and Detail...almost 3D I reckon.
              NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

Yeah, Professional Labs will still process slides/transparencies etc

Comment

Goodsy,

If you dont want it..... I'll put my hand up.

I just bought an AE-1 Program for my daughter. I also have one, along with a T90 (although not working atm).

Love shooting in B&W...and dont mind the wait to get them back. I used to develop my own along time ago. Thats when you could select which ones to develop!!!

Comment

Sorry for the late reply but I've decided to keep it. Going to by some film and give it a shot.
                    Thanks for the idea for black and white film.
                    I'm then have to scan the shots to show you guys. Like the old days.
                    NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                      Sorry for the late reply but I've decided to keep it. Going to by some film and give it a shot.
                      Thanks for the idea for black and white film.
                      I'm then have to scan the shots to show you guys. Like the old days.
                      The last few films I had developed were put on CD for a small additional charge - I don't remember how much, but it struck me as too cheap to not do.

That was Kodak (are they still around?) - their "viewing software" (installed on each CD) was like a virus!
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                        Camera is as new. Has normal lens 50mm, telephoto 80mm - 200mm and wide angle XXmm?. Also Canon 244T flash
                        Is this something to put on the shelf and admire or do people still use them?
                        The thing is beautiful.
                        What to do???

Cheers
                        My opinion......yep, put it on the shelf and admire it. Film has seen it's day. Don't waste your time and money on film, just admire it. I have a Mamiya and a Canon here in a box with lenses...............too sentimental to toss, but wouldn't consider resurecting either.

Comment

Working...
                        X