Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Josh's '16 NX Exceed

Hi gang,

I posted my introduction way back in 2019 when I bought my Pajero - this is my second post since. I thought I'd post a photo of my Paj and tell you about it.

I don't want to bore you too much; I did that with my intro. I'm a car nut and built a 1958 FC Holden track car a few years ago (my first car, which I still have 20 years on), but since having kids and getting serious with work (and the fact the FC is stored in Hobart and I'm in Alice Springs) I haven't had a lot of vehicle related fun in recent years.

Anyway, I moved to Alice Springs from Hobart in 2016 for work and drove around in a little Peugeot 307 HDI wagon. Cracking little car with lots of space and believe it or not, loads of grunt from its' 2.0 Diesel and 6 speed manual. However, it became less reliable over time and I lost confidence in its' ability; I couldn't have it break down on a 38 degree day with my son in the car. Wife said yes to buying a 4WD so I did heaps of research and ended up with a one-owner 2016 NX Pajero Exceed out of Sydney.

I went with this particular vehicle as it's a March 2016 build; pre-DPF. It's also got a reasonable infotainment system with good sound quality, leather seats, sunroof and rear diff lock. I never thought there would be a need for a sunroof in Alice Springs, but it's been given a fair workout when my son has a tantrum. The previous owner built the NX for towing a van so it came with trailer brakes, Bilstein suspension, rear airbags, auxillary LED lights out the back and Hankook AT-M tyres. It also came with a snorkel (Airtech) and polished alloy bar.

Since the photo I've added Bushskinz Elite intercooler and sump guards as well as Bushskinz rock sliders - all in black powdercoat, a Kaon cage in the back, mouded rubber floor mats front, back and boot and internal magnetic window shades to all glass behind the driver and passenger windows. I've tried to childproof it as much as possible because kids are disgusting. I'm anticipating a move up North in the near future so today I ordered an ARB Frontier 128L tank and I'm currently doing my research on tyre choices - there isn't too much choice off the rack up here, but after a few conversations with OJ I'm looking at Coopers AT-3, but still considering whether I go with 265/60 or 265/65R18; I'm not quite sure and I appreciate your input. Anyway, here's a photo; I'll add more as the journey continues.

Thanks,

Josh
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by Dirt_&_Dust; 19-02-21, 10:05 PM.

filedata/fetch?id=1075468&d=1613734402&type=thumb Here's a more recent photo:
    Last edited by Dirt_&_Dust; 19-02-21, 09:42 PM.

Comment

I've done a bit of off-roading up here but nothing too strenuous; I think one of my regrets is that I haven't done more of it, filedata/fetch?id=1075470&d=1613734855&type=thumb as the Paj is more of a family truckster. Still, moving up north brings some opportunity, and I'd love to drive over to WA at some point, too.
      Last edited by Dirt_&_Dust; 19-02-21, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Nice

2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Dunlop ATG3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge MX 1.4, Uniden 8080s, more to come...

Comment

I'd be interested which way you go size wise with your tyres. I also have a 2016 pre-DPF NX but in GLS guise. Also comes with 18's and running Wildpeak AT3Ws in stock 265/60/R18 size.

These combined with my Lovells and Bilsteins setup, it is pretty firm on road. In looking for a more compliant and smooth ride, plus better tyre choices I picked up a set of 17" OEM rims off an NT. I haven't fitted the new set which come with 265/65/R17 Bridgestone D697 LT so can't comment on ride.

I'm looking at replacing the aging rubber on these rims with 265/70/R17s (equates to 65 profile on 18's) to achieve what I want. An added bonus of going up a profile is that the rubber will fill the wheel arches nicely with the 2" lift.
          2016 NX GLS MY16 | MMA towbar | Boo's bash plates | ProVent 200 catch can | 2" Lovells SD (F+R) + Bilsteins | Stedi 28" ST4K | Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/60R18 (urban use) | Yokohama Geolandar G015 265/70R17 (rural use) | iDRIVE

Comment

I think the 265/65 would provide a more comfortable ride, but I doubt the 265/65 will fit in the rear carrier without some trimming - mine has the rear wheel carrier lift.

Comment

Frontier long range tank fitted yesterday, along with a set of 265/65 R18 LT BFG KO2s.

I can confirm that a 265/65 does fit on the rear with a spare wheel lift kit installed, although it’s not pretty as it’s jammed in real tight.

HPD catch can, piranha battery tray and paddle shifters going on next week.

Comment

I too have now upgraded - 265/70 R17s Yoko Geolandar G015s, my spare fits fine in the spare wheel carrier, but I don't have the spare wheel lift kit installed. I do have the kit but haven't needed it to date so good to know it will be fine if I do!

Post up a pic of your updates including tyres when you have some time!
                2016 NX GLS MY16 | MMA towbar | Boo's bash plates | ProVent 200 catch can | 2" Lovells SD (F+R) + Bilsteins | Stedi 28" ST4K | Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/60R18 (urban use) | Yokohama Geolandar G015 265/70R17 (rural use) | iDRIVE

Comment

The main reason for the lift is to clear the towbar when towing. it get too tight in there without the lift. So if you have the lift and plan to tow, fit it. that way the setup will not cause you grief later.
                  95 White LWB Panda coloured GLS TD28 running 18psi 2inch lift, 2 inch body lift, factory rear LSD maxxis bighorn muddies 25,000klms after total engine rebuild - Club reged Currently around 307,000klms

Daughters - 2003 NP Exceed Silver Bone stoke getting a engine rebuild after a Major overheat (previous owner) - My current project

Comment

I’ll endeavor to post some photos in the next week or so; recently secured a job in Darwin so will be driving up from Alice over the Easter long weekend.

Comment

Working...
                    X