Jaffles NX cook up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Jaffles,

Thank you for documenting all your roof rack research! I am going through the same process at the moment, and like you, there is no way I am riveting anything to my roof.

I am tossing up between the OCAM and the Tracklander racks....problem is I like the OCAM mounting system (but not the rack so much), for simplicity, designed to bolt on etc, but I like the Tracklander rack (definitely not the mounting system), if my calculations are correct the rack itself is approx 5kg lighter than OCAMs rack...

Do you think that the Tracklander rack would fit/mount onto the OCAM mounting system without to much difficulty? The two racks do look very similar and are the same size... Could I impose on you to take some measurements for me of the distance between each of the mounting points, and the distance of end mounting points to the end of the rack?

I'd welcome anyone else's input on this idea also....

Comment

There is another, although it's not cheap & not mesh, called Front Runner. Simple 8mm bolts and eye nuts if you want tie downs.

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/au/
      Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16

Comment

Yep this roof rack stuff is a pain, and non of it is worth what they are charging. I have a hind sight reflection that may be worth pondering.

There is a poster on here who made his own brackets to utilise the OE holes. He bent up some 3mm gal plate I think. From there he made his own backbone so to speak, which bolted to his mounts, and then an OCAM on I think. No rating, no warranty, but doesn't matter. If you alter the manufacturers show in any way your on your own. He has successfully run it for many years now. Just think with some cardboard for a jig, and a few cutting wheels and some plate steel you can 1/4 the cost. You could also weld the mounts to the backbone for the final product.

Alternatively, as much as it pains me to say, the Rhino ridgeback is bolted to the roof, just need to make sure that middle mount is sitting un stressed. A vice will fix that. The Pioneer platform has plastic bends, so perhaps that is whee the de rating comes from, otherwise I find it hard to see why its derated if its bolted. Riveted yes, but not bolted.

So perhaps a Tracklander on a rhino ridgebac, is a sound option.

The OCAM is similar but reuses the OE plastic roof mounts. To my mind that's putting a lot of faith in a M6 nut sitting in a plastic mounding thats bolted to the roof.

The tracklander mesh is welded at every contact point with the cross frame, so you feel comfortable ratcheting stuff down.

The OCAM's big flat plate at the head of it would make it easy for bolting on a light, but a few home made plates will achieve the same and probably lighter. I am not sure how the OCAM mesh is welded.

The Tracklander uses the same square C channel as Rhino, and not sure about OCAM but I'd guess its the same. It a captive blocky nut that slides along the channel until tightened.

The measurements below are C channel centre spacings, but started from the outside edge of the platform of my 2.2 tracklander I have. Hope that makes sense.

So the first mount would be 335 in from the front, and the last would be 280 in from the outside edge of the platform. There are 7 cross braces.

335, 250, 270, 250, 270, 250, 270, 280

As mentioned before, the mesh offers freedom to where you want to place stuff, particularly if your cargo is fluid for various trip requirements. The Rhino and Front Runner that Jas likes locks you into an item being mounted in a particular place. Yes it can adjusted them, but it could end up like a chess game. The mesh looks old school, but certainly the tracklander makes no noise. Its also easier for occy straps, rope, ratchet straps. Just observations.

Comment

Well the wife thinks its a wank, but I like it. She doesn't get ACDC played loud either, so each to their own.

My teen years were in the decade manufactures put decals on their cars. Can't think of to much these days except the Ranger Wildtrack or the older Hilux TRD. But I like a bit of colour as opposed to every car looking the same.

First time pin striping, and Pajero's don't really have a line one can follow, so I set it out with low tack tape to gather some confidence. You tube vids can only provide so much.

Paying a bit of a tribute to the last of the Pajero's and its heritage born out of multiple Dakar wins. Quite like a bit of Dakar. I printed off both patterns and cut them out with scissors, glued them together and then scanned it to an auto decal supplier. Stripes and 4 decals cost around $240.

s.jpg s2.jpg
          s3.jpg s4.jpg p7.jpg
          s5.jpg

Comment

After you tune her, I wanna see some airborn shots, watch the landing

Comment

yeh we all modify our cars and its not often I go the bling option or promote a company, but I can always pull it off if it stops working fo me.

On the west coast of Fraser where the sand is soft and people are few, I put the boot into it to see how a Pajero went over choppy sand. Perhaps a bit like dakar I told myself. Tthe Pajero just ate it up and felt like it was floating over it or skimming the tops. Quite a contras to the dirty ol Defender. Never know might get that an air shot in due course lol.

Comment

Originally posted by jaffles View Post
                yeh we all modify our cars and its not often I go the bling option or promote a company, but I can always pull it off if it stops working fo me.

On the west coast of Fraser where the sand is soft and people are few, I put the boot into it to see how a Pajero went over choppy sand. Perhaps a bit like dakar I told myself. Tthe Pajero just ate it up and felt like it was floating over it or skimming the tops. Quite a contras to the dirty ol Defender. Never know might get that an air shot in due course lol.

Sounds like you may have sprung it nicely.

Comment

Boys, this is not a bag, just pointing out it can be done.

Commercial ARB bull bar $400. I have stripped it to paint it the car's colour. I believe Stedi are making spot or beam light with a day light capacity to replace

ARB's fog lights. Stedi already do a fog but honestly who needs them.
                  Warn XD 9000 winch $500. Bought of a nice bloke who bought it new, used it 3 times, and had it serviced by ARB before selling. Sure its 10 years old, but I'll probably use it as much as he did. I'll put a dyneema rope on for $100, and put an in cabin in-out switch opposed to plugging in the cable.

For the weight watcher amongst us, winch, no rope, solenoid box, power cabling 21.1 Kg.

Yes bit of work but better than the 5K quoted for the same. I still have to pay for fitting though.

b1.jpg b2.jpg
                  Last edited by jaffles; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by jaffles View Post
                    Boys, this is not a bag, just pointing out it can be done.

Commercial ARB bull bar $400.

Warn XD 9000 winch $500.

For the weight watcher amongst us, winch, no rope, solenoid box, power cabling 21.1 Kg.

Yes bit of work but better than the 5K quoted for the same. I still have to pay for fitting though.

Enjoy the restore, good find

I love me bargains, better stories can be told as well & laughs to be had of the bargains that didn't quite work out as bargains over the years .

Comment

Ol mate had the winch on his car for a decade, used it 3 times like I said. When I pulled the steel cable off the last spool had not even been undone. All shiny new cable. He then pulled it off and had it at home awaiting a friend to buy it. That's why he had it serviced. Well that fell through and they ummed and ahhhed what to do. Started at $1000, dropped to $700, and I offered $500 with a caveat hoping not to offend, but in reality I will probably use it as much as he did. They said yep come and get it.

Made in the USA printed on the winch and solenoids, that makes me happy. Still all might go "poof" on the big day.

Comment

Heard the toot from the postie and was pretty excited about what he was delivering. Their small but pretty cool for their size I feel.

Easy to swap over. I reused the OE rubber seat which sealed them nice and firm. Bit loose without it.

p.jpg image_51500.jpg

Also got round to fitting a MPPT charger. Actually used the OE plastic sump guard to make the mount. GENASUN, bought locally made in the USA. Nice to see the battery getting 13.9V on a lazy 23deg winters day. Also painted the solar panel to work in better with the surroundings.

p3.jpg p5.jpg

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X