Ranger's Pajero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranger's Pajero

I just realised I don't have a thread in here. I'll put together a few posts I've created on other forums, so some may be a little dated but you'll get the picture.

Well it was a long-time coming. After a recent trip to Denmark, enough was enough, the zook was too small and uncomfortable for what i had in mind for the next couple of years.

I had considered a variety of options, starting with a newer Grand Vitara, Jackaroos, Prados, Patrols, everything. I needed something that was;
    -Capable offroad
    -Economical
    -Reliable
    -Acheive 800-900kms per tank
    -Large Cabin Space
    -Newish

It wasn't until Dave (bent 's') pointed out a couple of Turbo Diesel Paj's, that i actually looked into the Mitsu's a little further and decided that a Paj fit the criteria the best, and was going to be my next 4wd.

So it was time to walk-the-walk instead of talk-the-talk, and eventually i bit the bullet and bought a...

1997 Mitsubishi NK Pajero GLS 2.8ICTD

I bought it off an guy in his 50's, who obviously took very good care of the car, as there is not a whole lot to fault it. The panels are very straight and only has some minor paint chips and surface rust which i will fix over time. The owner had a shack at Wedge, so it has done most of off-roading on the beach and Wedge tracks. The Km's are a little high for the year, but that is mainly due to regular Margaret River runs (for work) by the previous owner. This was not really a concern to me as 1) country km's 2) diesel engine 3) the rest of the vehicle was in great condition

Anyhow, time for the juicy stuff.
    Factory:
    -2.8L 4cyl Intercooled Turbo Diesel (92kw and just under 300nm of torque) which averages around 11-12L/100km
    -220,000km
    -A/C
    -Power Steering
    -Cruise Control
    -Power Everything
    -the only thing it doesn't have is a sunroof!

Mods:
    -Alloy Bullbar
    -Hella 4000's
    -Heavy Duty Tow Pack
    -265/75/R16 Bridgestone Duelers A/T
    -Small Lift (1"-1.5") and Nitrocharger Shocks

..all for a mere $10,000

Anyhow, im stoked with how the Paj performs both on and off road thus far. I always looked down on the Pajero's, i have always been a Landcruiser fan, but they are really an underdog of the larger 4wd's.

Expect to see it on trips to come, hopefully bigger and better each time.

Cheers,
    Jayden
    NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Time for a bit of an update...

Finally had the fuel pump rebuilt in the Pajero after causing some serious grief on cold starts. Last week also had a 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust fitted (straight thru with 1 resonator).

Had the Pajero also put on the Dyno before and after the work (which included advancing the timing to 9 degrees). Turns out that almost nothing was achieved in that effort (6 or so nm of torque gained). The Paj does drive alot smoother though, but still blowing a heap of smoke which I'm not too happy about - going to give the company a call in the morning

If you can read that, at bascially pulled 85kW @ 3828rpm, and 261nm @ 2138rpm.

Pretty happy with the torque curve, quite steady from 1100rpm through 2100rpm.

Still got a few more additions which I need to take some pics of.

Its getting there slowly, financials are obviously the biggest constraint.

Cheers,
    Ranger
    NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

Dual Batteries installed by Southern Spirit 4x4:

(NOTE: the temporary wire handles :angry2: )

Rear Worklight (Ebroke special):

Cargo Barrier, fitted by AutoExtra:

and the 2.5" exhaust fitted by Mettams Mufflers in Morley:

It's getting there slowly, the next few plans are to:
      -Sort out the rear cargo area (incl. fitting drawers, water pump, water tank etc.)
      -New shocks (rides like a boat now)
      -New Tyres
      -Front ARB Locker

The the 'Tourer on a budget' will be almost set to do a tour of the East Coast :smt069

Cheers,
      Jayden

Comment

Okie Doke,

So a little bit more progress.

Boost gauge and controller have been fitted at add that little sense of 'rice'.

Boost is comfortably set at 9-10psi on normal throttle. Some unexpected power has been gained at higher rpm >2,500rpm where if full throttle is applied the boost will wind out to 12-13psi. Without the couple of notches on the controller and full throttle, the engine would simply bellow smoke and struggle to pick-up. Now however, there is no struggle, less smoke, and plenty of gained power - to the point in 2nd gear it will almost put you back in the seat (not bad for a 10y.o. diesel).

One thing I do need to do is to monitor the exhaust temps with this increased boost - something I will be looking into the near future.

Another addition has been the fittment of the long range tank I bought for $50 some months back.

A big thanks to Trav (Tuffer2.4) who did most of the work fitting the tank with me yesterday. As per normal, nothing is ever easy and there were a few complications along the way but its all fitted up now. The only issue at this point is the fuel gauge sender, it must be catching on one of the baffles in the tank as it is only reading 1/5 of the tank when I filled it up yesterday. Once i run some of the fuel down I should be able to correct this.

I does hang fairly low and will probably get hung up on some of the harder tracks - so I'll just have to watch my lines and be sensible about what tracks I drive :smt005

Though with some longer trips planned for the next couple of years, 140L combined with the reasonably good economy should give me a comfortable touring range of around 1000km.

I also went and bought an overpriced BOAB 50L water tank which will be incorporated into the rear cargo setup I will be constructing over the next couple of weeks.

So the next set of revised mods:
        -New set of bilstein or koni shocks on all corners
        -Rear cargo setup
        -Stereo
        -Fit 16x8 GU patrol rims with 265/75/R16
        -??? suprise mod should be available by late Feb
        -Front Locker

Cheers,
        Jayden

Comment

Think you got a bargain there Jayden for the price and lookin the goods on the buildup. Well done
          Dave
          NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
          Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

Your Paj is looking awsome Jayden!!!

Will be a really sick tourer when you get the water tank and rear cargo draws setup.

Fit 16x8 GU patrol rims with 265/75/R16

Do u mean 285's? or have u changed your mind?

I'm driving the paj over to melbourne next week, so it should be interesting how it goes.

Take it easy.

Shane

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Mac View Post
              Your Paj is looking awsome Jayden!!!

Will be a really sick tourer when you get the water tank and rear cargo draws setup.

Fit 16x8 GU patrol rims with 265/75/R16

Do u mean 285's? or have u changed your mind?

I'm driving the paj over to melbourne next week, so it should be interesting how it goes.

Take it easy.

Shane
              Cheers Shane,

The GU rims have a set of Kelly Safari AWR 265/75's on them with about a years tread left on them, so im going to run them out before i fit the 285's.

Good luck with the haul to Melb.

Comment

Hi Jay nice paj m8, coming along nice.

Just wondering why you are choosing an ARB locker at the front as instead of something cheaper like a lokka(auto locker). Not trying to change your mind. I would love an ARB locka at the front to if I had the money. Just want to know what made you go the ARB as I have not made a firm choice either way yet and would love to here other ppls thoughts.

Cheers,
                Jack
                1993 NJ LWB: UHF, bull bar, 2" Iron man coils/T-bars, 30mm coil spacers, 35mm body lift, long travel RS5000s, Cranked T-bars, lokka, 35x12.5 GoodYear MTR, light force 170s, Duel battery with selectable volt meter, roof basket, 9.5" rear diff - more to come!

Comment

Originally posted by 1993 NJ LWB View Post
                  Hi Jay nice paj m8, coming along nice.

Just wondering why you are choosing an ARB locker at the front as instead of something cheaper like a lokka(auto locker). Not trying to change your mind. I would love an ARB locka at the front to if I had the money. Just want to know what made you go the ARB as I have not made a firm choice either way yet and would love to here other ppls thoughts.

Cheers,
                  Jack
                  Always preferred the air locker, especially if you are doing a bit of touring at high speeds in 4wd on gravel roads. Another reason is that i have seen a few too many IFS vehicles break various front end components because they just can't take the harsh locking-unlocking of an autolocker.

Cheers,
                  Jayden

Comment

Ok a bit more progress.

Since these photo's were taken I have completed the plumbing on the running water system. Stoked with the result, and means no more jerry cans in the back, and hopefully the water will stay in the tank and saturate my carpets with 15L of water from a jerry can (from my last efforts). I will take some more recents pics soon.

So here is how i mounted the tank, the tank is tapered so it sits up flush against the cargo barrier, but is not mounted the the barrier for safety reasons. Take it easy with my DIY workmanship, I'm not too handy with my hands, so some bits can be a little rough and/or overengineered - but as long as it works and is reliable - I'm happy.

Alot of the materials used here is courtesy of Bunnings, certainly eases the wallet when you work (well used to) there. Note the structural fittings hehe

Water pump sat neatly behind the rear passenger seat. At the moment it is fouling the seat a little (10mm) but can operate the seat - just have to be careful - will fix this in the future.

Switch for the pump

A rear cargo system is still yet to be made up, but when it does, it will hide most of my nasty workmanship LOL

Ah, and also had Koni Gas Adjustables fitted at all corners.

Noticeably Less roll and a more comfortable ride. Yet to test out the wheel travel.

Cheers,
                    Jayden

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger J View Post
                      Okie Doke,

So the next set of revised mods:
                      -New set of bilstein or koni shocks on all corners
                      -Rear cargo setup
                      -Stereo
                      -Fit 16x8 GU patrol rims with 265/75/R16
                      -??? suprise mod should be available by late Feb
                      -Front Locker
                      Well late February is up, so I think it's time u let us in on the surprise!!!

Shane

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Mac View Post
                        Well late February is up, so I think it's time u let us in on the surprise!!!

Shane
                        Yes what is the susprsie

Comment

yes late Feb has passed.

I'm still waiting to hear back though the surprise really isn't that urgent. I was going to fork out for some 2.85 transfer gears, but I think I'll wait till I put the 285/75's on.

I now have a set of GU rims on the paj too.

Cheers,
                          Jayden

Comment

Having a bit of a play up at the farm after finishing the service. I have a little track made up using the old boys excavator, good for testing wheel travel and other things after tweaking in the workshop.

Note the hektik wheel travel and GU rims now fitted. Those arches are aching for some decent rubber! It's getting there slowly - hopefully some sliders will magically appear soon - once the cash is flowing steadily again.

And this is one from a couple of weeks back on the local track known as 'the powerlines' - I crunched the crap out of the corner my LR tank which I was not impressed about!

Last edited by Ranger J; 22-04-08, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Been awhile since I have updated the thread.

Managed to get hold of some steel GU rims, so ran them with the 265's they had fitted until they were worn.

Dropped the Paj down at Wilkinsons for a bit of a service. Had some new Lovell HD Coils fitted in the rear due to the added weight of the fuel tank/fuel/water tank. At the same time had an alignment done, new upper control arm bushes fitted on the front etc etc. Once again, walked away very happy, the boys at Wilkinsons always do a great job, friendly, professional and competitive pricing.

With a bit more clearance in the guards, I went for the next size up in tyres, a second hand set of 285/75/16 MTR's. I used to think the MTR's were piles of crap, but have been very impressed by these, especially when most of the tyres only have around 40% tread left.

So this is how far she goes without lifting a wheel. Not bad for the average 3-link rear. No scrubbing and just sits on the bumpstops before the koni's run out of travel and bind against the trailing arms.

*Apologies for my poor photography skills in this pic.

I'm reasonably comfortable with the setup now, a good compromise between on and offroad ability, and a relatively capable tourer in its current form. Now its time to start working on the rear cargo area.

Cheers,
                              Jayden

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X