My NT Platinum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nj swb View Post
    Time for another update! For those who have been kept in suspense, I can confirm that the Toyota brake pad anti-rattle clip fits the Pajero calipers - no great surprise there.

Over the last couple of weeks I've been slowly working towards crossing off a job that's been on my list for a while:

20210105_193517.jpg

I've had the switch for so long that I can't remember where I bought it, but I struggled to find somewhere to mount it. Finally, I decided to bolt a bracket to the side of the battery bucket - and it all came together, bit by bit.

I designed & printed a bracket, complete with captive nuts - two to mount the bracket to the bucket, two to retain the switch. The studs on the switch are M10, and my original cable had a lug for an M8 bolt - but there was plenty of meat left to open up the hole. I needed a new (flexible) cable from terminal to switch, M8 one end and M10 the other, about 300mm long. So I started to work on finding a suitable length of cable, with the idea to then find the right lugs, and coax somebody into crimping them properly.

This afternoon, because I was going by, I called in to a local 4wd store to see if they could put something together for me. One of their mechanics wandered out the back, and quickly returned with a cable - flexible, right length, right lugs, for the princely sum of $5!

It even works - in the garage. Now I need an opportunity to use it in anger.
    Oabviously not there to just look pretty.
    What . . . . does it do ?
    2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post

Oabviously not there to just look pretty.
      I'm going with winch, or he owns a very large fridge, has a keg to cool maybe
      Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16

Comment

Obviously not there to just look pretty.
        You think it looks pretty?

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
        Sorry.

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
        I'm going with winch...
        Correct. . Winch isolator. Traditionally, I left the main power cable disconnected from the battery, which was a minor pain on those few occasions that I've needed (wanted?) to use the winch. This gives me one less excuse to know whether or not the winch works.

But, since you bring it up, things have changed. The cable in the pic is 25mm2, PVC insulated - nominally rated to 75 degrees max. Yesterday, I was doing a little work for an electrical contractor, who just happened to pick up a scrap of 35mm2 110 degree rated flex that was about the right length. One of his electricians crimped a couple of lugs for me, and I wrestled it into position last night.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

You think it looks pretty?

Sorry.

Correct. . Winch isolator. Traditionally, I left the main power cable disconnected from the battery, which was a minor pain on those few occasions that I've needed (wanted?) to use the winch. This gives me one less excuse to know whether or not the winch works.

But, since you bring it up, things have changed. The cable in the pic is 25mm2, PVC insulated - nominally rated to 75 degrees max. Yesterday, I was doing a little work for an electrical contractor, who just happened to pick up a scrap of 35mm2 110 degree rated flex that was about the right length. One of his electricians crimped a couple of lugs for me, and I wrestled it into position last night.
          Fair enough and a good job too.

It could have just as easily been a "wigwam for a goose's bridle" !

Comment

. . . . crimped a couple of lugs for me, and I wrestled it into position last night.
            I feel what you went through. Similar for me, except that my issue was trying to connect the lugs of 2 x 35mm2 cables (parallel from the rear aux battery) to the switch. They physically wouldn't fit into the switch.
            So a dummy stud was mounted and I linked that stud to the switch with a short piece of 35mm2 flex.
            Because I was very limited as to where items could be mounted, the stubby link was lugged first and the connected items were located to suit. Orientation of the lugs is critical for a very short length of cable.

For winching ​​​I have the option of choosing Off - Starter - Aux - Both.

I noted that the switch rating varies according to the size of the connected cable. A heatsink effect I would think.
            20210109_115813.jpg
            Last edited by Kingbrown; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

• So, I have a set of wheels under the house - who can guess what I've been playing with?

20210112_195800.jpg

NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Like newbies!
                NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• I'm back to ST Maxx, in 265/70 R17.

I bought a set of four tyres second-hand, with a set of 5 good wheels (one HT spare tyre). I bought them sight unseen, taking a gamble that wheels & tyres + freight still worked out at reasonable value. I added a 5th new ST Maxx, and they're now all fitted to my original beat-up wheels.

The wheels were in exceptional condition for their age, including one wheel that had never been run on the road - the spare tyre was date-coded 11 years ago, and still had all its moulding spikes.

None of the tyres show any evidence of cuts / chips, but most had multiple small stones wedged in tread blocks - they came from regional NSW, so I guess they've seen their share of gravel.

A couple of the tyres had some unusual wear patterns, including one very unusual pattern that is starting on the back door of my Pajero (but it did spend a day on the rear left - I never realised that all tyre fitters are completely deaf. )

All tyres are worn more on the shoulders than in the middle, most worn more on the outside - so I had them mounted to my rims with the deeper shoulders on the outside, and I'll run them at pressures a little higher than normal for a while, to see what happens with wear patterns.

They're noisier than the Toyo MTs I've just taken off, which is really saying something, but I'm putting that down to the unusual wear on one of them. I know I'm imagining it, but I would swear the car is more responsive in traffic - I guess my sub-conscious is trying to allay my conscious concerns.

They'll be in the High Country next week, so I expect they'll soon have their fair share of cuts & chips.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• I am sure the car does feel more responsive, they are about 5lbs lighter each (new) from memory than the Toyos 😉
                    MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

So, I have a set of wheels under the house - who can guess what I've been playing with?

20210112_195800.jpg
                      plasti-dip?
                      Paceman's NT Pajero

Comment

• Printing bespoke hub/centre caps methinks.
                        Last edited by Kingbrown; 1 week ago.

Comment

Printing bespoke hub/centre caps methinks.

I lost one of the caps for the new wheels, and most of them (new & mine) are missing paint - so I thought I'd have a crack at making something. I've now fitted two to one side of the Paj, I'll see if they're still there when I get home today.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

I lost one of the caps for the new wheels, and most of them (new & mine) are missing paint - so I thought I'd have a crack at making something. I've now fitted two to one side of the Paj, I'll see if they're still there when I get home today.
                            nice one...

if it works ok, i would happily volunteer to be a tester...
                            Paceman's NT Pajero

Comment

Time for another update! For those who have been kept in suspense, I can confirm that the Toyota brake pad anti-rattle clip fits the Pajero calipers - no great surprise there.
                              Beauty! I've got the same issue on my front left - clunking pads & missing the W clip. I bought a set of clips&pins from ebay for about $25 (or was it $40....) but haven't had the motivation to take the wheel off to fit it. Drives me bonkers working on the cracked bitumen/gravel driveway!
                              2013 NW GLX. 268,000km | ARB Deluxe Bar | Boo's bashplates | 4x4 Tough (Aldi) Winch | Underbonnet dual battery & db140i isolator | D697 265/70r17 | Rhino tracks & vortex bars | DIY rear drawers | Waeco CF40 | 60L water bladder | 2.5m awning | Vlad TC mod | UH8060.
                              --SOLD--1995 NJ GLS 3.5L Manual. 348,000km 2" Toughdog/EFS suspension, 265/75r16 Toyo Open Country A/T II

Comment

• Originally posted by paceman View Post

nice one...

if it works ok, i would happily volunteer to be a tester...
                                Stay tuned.

The two survived the first day of suburban run-around, and they're off to the Victorian High Country on Monday. If they survive that trip, and I don't decide I dislike them, I might tweak the design a little - try to get a slightly better finish on the black bit.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X