Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 98 NL

EDIT: I've since sold this pajero

My poor paj felt left out with all these build threads floating around so I thought since I have some time on my hands I'd post a thread about the life and times of my 98 NL Paj since it came into my possession. Will put little snippets of the bigger more milestoney adventures we have had with this car and all the mods I've put on to date and the reasoning behind each.

This was initially intended as an interim car which I'd keep for a few years and try not to spend much money on before investing heavily in my next car. Funny how things change haha. Still planning on upgrading as soon as I can but seems you can't have a 4WD that you use offroad and not spend money on it haha.

Bought it a couple years back now from a real dodgy bros 4WD dealer when I knew literally nothing about cars and what to look for when buying. Was by far the nicest looking on the market at the time but looking back it was well and truly overpriced at I think $13,000 with around 170,000kms on the clock. So anyway I traded in my '03 Subaru Liberty and off I went.

This is what it looked like on the lot and after I got it home that day - shiny!

Came with Monroe shocks, TJM alloy bullbar, 265/75R16 BFG All Terrains and hayman-reese towpack, sunroof and the factory optional clarion 6-stacker CD player but was otherwise pretty stock standard. Was a bit of a case of love at first sight though
    Last edited by TC.Barky; 24-09-14, 07:22 PM.
    MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
    Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Took it to the folks place in Bairnsdale about three days after buying it and had a poke around near Deptford with the old mans Patrol and his friends Navara. Since then it's never really been as clean haha.

I distinctly remember getting very concerned as (like most gen2 Pajero's that I've seen these days) the rear super select lights weren't working and I was worried that my rear axle wasn't getting driven. Dad was telling me I was being stupid but I had the owners manual out trying to work out what was going on

(yes, I've learnt a lot about snatching since then - my old man should have known better though haha. Anyone reading this, this is what NOT to do when snatching - no dampener and people standing nearby )

Everyone was very impressed with the paj on that trip and I was very chuffed with my purchase. Yes I fixed that driving light
    Last edited by TC.Barky; 09-12-13, 02:33 PM.
    Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

Next big trip was a family camping trip to Paradise Valley in Gippsland. Went down into the Macalister Gorge (pretty hairy area for the inexperienced - which I was). Was one of those trips that was only supposed to take an hour or so but ended up taking about 6 hours. Track we took out ended up popping out in a random paddock. We followed where the track was supposed to be by electronic maps to where there was supposed to be a river crossing to get back to the main road but it was completely washed out. So we spent an hour or so finding a way across. Was a blast but the macalister river claimed my numberplate.

It was about this time that I realised that the BFGs were not up to the task for what I wanted (probably largely due to their age and the fact that they were relatively worn). Chewed a lot of the treadblock edges as a result of wheels breaking traction and spinning on sharp edges when climbing rocks on steep hills.

Got to play with an exhaust jack and some other recovery equipment back at camp in order to help understand different gear and their applications. Was a bit nervous when we let the air out the jack, came down with a hefty whump! Also had a bit of a photoshoot session for some fun

Comment

Nice rig. When are we going off-road?
        .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
        NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Prior to the above trip (already stuffing up the order ) I had a UHF fitted in Bairnsdale. The bloke there is an absolute genius when it comes to recommending and fitting radios and does it for the DSE and the other mobs that help maintain the high country. I decided to go with an icom ic-400PRO as it was what my dad was running. He's used GME and uniden 5W units in the past but has found (using the same aerial mind you) that his icom unit pushes the signal further and can receive from further away.

I had the radio put into one of the din slots in the dash below the cd player head unit. I initially wanted to have the microphone mount screwed into the dash but upon talking to the guy who fit it for me he suggested that probably wasn't wise as the only good spots that I wanted the mic hung was through the vinyl parts of the dash and he didn't want to risk ripping it. Instead he suggested I use outdoor mounting double sided tape. Works like a charm - I've had to change the tape once after a bunch of dust eventually worked the mount loose.

Comment

Next mod was in preparation for a trip to cross the high country - a snorkel.

As anyone who has ever tried to buy a snorkel for a blister-guard NL will tell you, choices are limited to pretty much airtec or nothing. Luckily I was more than happy to spend the extra cash for better piece of mind and had it fitted up at TJM Dandenong. Didn't really need it as it turned out for the trip as the Wonnangatta was running pretty low when we ran the trip but it has proved its worth many times since then.

Note the new plates in this pic, losing a number plate was an excuse to finally transfer my custom number plates that I had on the Subaru onto the paj.

It's also suprisingly clean in these pictures. Very unusual

Trip across the high country was great. Spent a lot of time there growing up and it was great to revisit some old haunts. We went from Dargo to Mansfield via Wonnongatta Station. Camped Wonnongatta, 16 Mile Jeep Track and at Sheepyard Flats.

One of the crossing at the bottom of Hearn Spur Track

Another for good measure

Wonnangatta Station

Near Picture Point
            Last edited by TC.Barky; 09-12-13, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Few weeks after this trip I had my car checked by Pedders with their el cheapo safety check for brakes and suspension. Was having some problems with the car dipping a LOT under braking and being a bit vague in the handling department. Got the report back and it turned out I needed a new pitman arm, idler arm and all my shocks were apparently knackered (to the point where one of them returned 3% health on their test )

So I did a (tiny) bit of research and priced up some replacement shock absorbers for relatively low cost. I went around the corner to my local tyre shop where they convinced me to fit a full lift kit instead. So much for not spending much money hahah. The only reason I went for it was that it was so damn cheap, cost me 900 bucks fitted with alignment for a full kit all around of ironman gear. Was absolutely stoked with it. Just in time for a big trip to Central Australia.

I also fitted some ebay-special roofbars that came off a wrecked paj (60 bucks!) for carrying water and fuel jerrys on the upcoming trek.

Had to sneak this photo in here, this is about a week after fitting up the lift kit. Went on a weekender near Dargo based at Italian Flats and managed to find this ridiculous track. Thought we were going to roll when the rear wheel first lifted off the ground. Inclinometer was reading about 40 degrees down and 30 degrees sideways. Rear wheel was about as far off the ground as my dads shoulder haha. Also had two opposite wheels hanging in the air for a bit. This picture was taken when we had started moving again. You never do quite get used to that feeling of balancing precariously and I still don't think Jess has forgiven me for this No way we were getting back up it and Dad didn't follow me so we had to push on - one of the worst tracks I've ever driven, not many people were stupid enough to go down there apparently.

Last edited by TC.Barky; 09-12-13, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Next "mod" is one of the best inventions ever and one of my most loved pieces of gear. The dirty gear bag. Never leaves the car these days and I'd recommend everyone who goes camping or is regularly using snatch straps gets one. I primarily use it for rubbish (just chuck a bin liner in there and you never have to carry smelly rubbish inside the car again - fantastic for longer trips) but it also gets muddy straps and towels chucked in there occasionally

Comment

Next major trip was, as already alluded to, a big trek to central aus. Think it was around 7,500kms in the end and the old gal never missed a beat (what a trooper!). Our most important lessons learnt on this trip:
                  1. Get new tyres BEFORE going on a big trip if they are already a bit shabby (seems obvious but we thought we'd be right). We had tread blocks splitting and separating from the rest of one of the tyres.
                  2. A big tent seems like a good idea but it's really not, lol. The less pegs the better. I've never seen ground as hard as that found at kings canyon without actually being rock and when you've got 20+ pegs to hammer in then let me tell you it absolutely SUCKS
                  3. Plan your fuel costs, then add another couple L/100km onto it. Ours was a lot higher than I thought it would be compared to normal trips (likely the extra water and food was the cause of this). It's not nice thinking of fuel money the whole time.

Great trip all round and saw some amazing sights. Few of the many thousands of photos we took back with us just to show some of the trip. Would recommend it to anyone.

Just before leaving to Adelaide.

Part of the Oodnadatta Track near Coober Pedy

The Breakaways

The Nissan Hand Grenade finally struck. Luckily it waited just long enough for us to be off the oodnadatta track so RACV total care was able to kick in and fly the folks home and tow the pootrol and the van all the way home from near Woomera to Bairnsdale.

We plan to go back and do the simmo at some point, likely in the next car.

Comment

After this trip came a few small quality of life mods. First of which was a cutoff switch to stop the antenna going up and down every time I turned the car on/off. This was done for two reasons, first of all was that it was annoying the bejeezus out of me every time I turned the car to on then off to wind down windows as the motor is quite noisy and the other is to protect the mast of the antenna from being damaged on overgrown tracks such as this one:

Basically I've put a switch in that tricks whatever controls the aerial when set to the half mast position into thinking the radio has no power so the antenna doesn't go up. If you flip the mast height to the higher position it will go up. So not perfect, but works well enough for what I need.

Next came the reversing camera. This was an ebay special from china. Got one of the types that are designed to use the existing number plate screws to hold it in and then an LCD monitor to mount in the cabin. All up I think it cost me 80 bucks. Ended up the spacings for the screws in the number plate weren't correct so we attached it on the black plastic part below the number plate. This was very convenient as this is hollow so you can drill into it without any dramas. I was also not 100% confident with the camera so not drilling into the body for something that may have only lasted a couple of weeks was a big plus. Ran the cables to the camera across the rear door and picked up power from the reversing light. This light is also powering the screen in the cabin so it's not on all the time. Then it was just a relatively simple matter of running twincore all the way to the front of the car, under the steering wheel and in under the centre console where the screen is mounted. You can see the screen in the pic below. It is attached by velcro so you can still access the storage area behind. Handy hidden storage area for little bits and bobs. Means it's easy to swap the screen out if it dies also.

The switch for the aerial is mounted in the switch blank next to the cigarette lighter. You can also see I've used double sided tape to mount a 4-port 12V power adaptor. This is a very handy way to manage messy cables. You can see in this pic that there is a cable running in behind the console, this is a USB extension cable that runs behind the dash to my phone mount on the right of the steering wheel. Keeps the cables out of the way and neat.

Last edited by TC.Barky; 09-12-13, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Next was the tyres. If I had to rate which mod is the biggest deal so far, this is definitely it. They have transformed the car into an absolute weapon. My BFGs were officially screwed. I'd run them down much further than I really should have, they were ridiculous on and off road and there was some serious rubber fatigue going on.

So, I set out to my local tyre dealer to price up some tyres with the intention of picking up some Mickey Thompson ATZs in either 4 or 5 rib depending on what the tyre shop recommended. At this stage I'd not considered going muddies as I didn't think the noise and reduced lifespan were worth the performance offroad when considering the extra cost involved. However, upon chatting to the guys at the shop they mentioned Summit Mud Hogs. At this stage they were relatively unknown (found very little information on the net about them, virtually nothing in Aus) and I was like "oh yeah they look cool but they'll be worth like 500/tyre being muddies" but in actual fact they were only 215/tyre (for comparison the ATZs were 365/tyre). I was dubious about their quality, so I went home and did some research and what little I found was people raving about how good they are. The specs on paper are about the best I've ever seen for a tyre (much better than bighorns for example) and the tread pattern is very aggressive. So I decided to take the plunge and risk the unknown with these tyres. Boy have I been loving them so far. Would recommend them to anyone wanting a mud terrain.

The first big test for these tyres was a track called Butcher Country Track in the high country. The tyres did a fantastic job in rocks and mud (incidentally one of the BEST tracks I've driven in a long time - right up there with Billy Goats for fun factor, I will definitely be going back to it someday).

I guess the biggest deciding factor of whether tyres have been a success is whether you'd buy em again. In this case unless I decide the noise is a bit much in a monocoque paj I will definitely be going them again without any doubts whatsoever.
                      Last edited by TC.Barky; 09-12-13, 06:00 PM.

Comment

At some point in all this (think it was just after Central Australia) I noticed my radiator had a very small weep from the top tank. I decided to replace the whole unit to be on the safe side as I figured if there a bit of corrosion showing like that chances are there were more problems likely to pop up internally. This got me thinking about water temps etc as one of the more common failures of the gen2 is overheat resulting in head gasket etc.

So my solution was to get a water temp gauge. Took me a while to get around to this but I ended up fitting a set of gauges to replace the stock oil pressure and battery voltage gauges and a water temp gauge to replace the inclinometer. I used 52mm autotechnica digital/LED gauges. Reasonably happy with how these turned out, they aren't quite perfect but I'll get around to fixing them one day. I need to change the pickup for the power for the battery and oil pressure gauges as it seems to be causing fluctuations in the oil gauge and the voltage is underreading (though it is consistent which is fine, just innacurate). I'd also like to change the water temperature sender to a spade connector as at the moment I've just wrapped the ends of the wire around the end of the sensor

I got some fuel line hose to heat shield the cables and to make them a bit more neat within the engine bay, just poked them through the hoses. They seem to be holding up ok.

Video of them in action (oil pressure sender wasn't wired up at the time which is why it's reading 120 constantly)

Comment

After dealing with our ground tent all the way across Central Aus, Jess unequivocally stated that she didn't want to do any more trips until we had a roof top tent or something of similar ease to setup. I figured this would be out of my reach for sometime as they are worth a bit of money.

However an opportunity presented itself in the form of an ARB factory seconds and ex-demo sale. Got an email and I could hardly believe my eyes, ARB Simpson rooftop tents for only 500 dollars.

So I rocked up to the ARB head office in Kilsyth at about 630 (they opened at 8) and was about the 6th car there. After a mad dash (literally a full pelt sprint - we were all like a bunch of women fighting over clothes in a clearance sale) to the back of the factory once they opened the gates I was one of the first to get to the roof top tents.

I was shattered to see that only the other type of ARB roof top tents were there (I didn't like these as much) and that they all had rips in the canvas or broken poles but they were still an absolute bargain so I sat on the one I wanted and had my name taken down to say it was mine. In the meantime, some a$$hole took the sticker off the side of it while my name was getting written down and my invoice written up and went and paid for it and came back proclaiming it was his.

The guy taking my name just winked at me and said ok that's fine you can have it to this other guy. I was completely and utterly pissed off at this point but the salesman took me aside and said they had a simpson out the back somewhere they could sell and he would be right back. So in the end, the other guy got a crappy broken tent and I got a simpson in perfect nick that had just been sitting on the factory floor for a few months even got an annexe thrown in for 10 bucks.

It was at this point that I realised that my crappy little 60 dollar ebay crossbars were not up to the task of properly supporting the weight of the tent. They were shaking side to side and wobbling it all over the place and you could feel them flexing when you climbed up in the tent.

So I ordered a set of HD bars off ebay which are fantastic quality. I decided to go with three bars for an extra anchor point and better weight distribution when we are in it.

Comment

The final mod so far is something I'm in the middle of actually, rear drawers. The drawers themselves are built and completely functional I just need to finish off the aesthetic side of things and get some decent locks into them.

Built them entirely out of 12mm marine ply including the drawers themselves. Designed them in google sketchup prior to doing any cuts and I also planned all the cuts on the sheets of timber on sketchup to maximise the efficiency.

Mounting points are the tie down bolts in the floorpan. Removed the hooks and replaced the bolts with longer ones. Extremely firm, definitely not going anywhere.

The runners on the drawers are a self locking/unlocking type where you push on the front face to lock/unlock and it then pushes itself out on a suprisingly strong spring mechanism. I was initially hoping this would mean I wouldn't need to put any external locks on them but stupidly I didn't take into account that during the normal rocking actions of driving (accelerating, braking etc) the drawers would be moved forward and back enough to activate the lock, lol

Please note these measurements are not the final measurements lol, don't try and use these.

Still need to carpet them using marine carpet and at the same time I'm going to pull it apart and run liquid nails along the joins to assist in holding them together long term over rough corrugations etc. Locks will be locking cam similar to those found on tradies ute canopies.

Comment

So that's where it's all at thus far, there's been many, MANY adventures in there that haven't been mentioned. I've lead a few trips for the forum and participated in a few as well as a large number of runs to Bunyip and the high country. The pajero has been fantastic so far, had to replace a clutch in there somewhere but other than that has barely missed a beat. It's going to be very hard to part with it when it comes time to upgrade.

For reference, these mods have been gradually over the course of me owning it from October 2011 to December 2013 and around 40,000kms.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X