Evakool Travelmate TMDZ 80Ltr 12v Fridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evakool Travelmate TMDZ 80Ltr 12v Fridge

I decided to change my refrigeration needs in my Campertrailer, so when I was at a camping shop I noticed the Evakool 80ltr Travelmate was on special..
    The good...
    1/. It is very easy use and set the temperatures for the individual fridges..one can be a freezer the other a fridge.
    2/. The low profile of the fridge helps those persons who are height challenged to have good access to items at the bottom of the fridge.
    3/. A blue LED (night light)..works well to light up the fridge cabinet without attracting the nearest insect population and blinding you in the process.
    4/. The lid hinge system is robust and the opening mechanisms are solid..easy to repair and get spare parts if need be, the compartment lid opens both sides or remove completely to gain access...the fridge lid rubber seals are good quality and thick.
    5/. It has a Anderson plug connection and a proper 12v lead with a Anderson plug to a male cig attachment.
    6/. The freezer when needed...depending on which side you want to use...will freeze down to 55c below ambient..average -18 to 20c..again depending on the ambient temp.
    7/. Very reasonably priced ($1250) when comparing to other 80ltr combi 12v portable fridges in the marketplace that average $1600 to $2200.
    8/. 5 year guarantee..and Evakool has been known to be reasonable with respect to warranty...but even though..Evakool has a reasonable repair network.
    9/. I can witness that the fridge is quiet when cycling..quietier than my existing 80ltr combi fridge I have at the moment and it is keeping the fridge temps with minimum cycling..

The debatable..
    1/. The lids of the fridge are recessed into the top of the fridge compartment..so dust / grim has a chance to sit..also the fridge lids have a corrugated surface..plus with the opening latch mechanism could be again susceptible to dust and grim sitting in the mechanism..
    I have the fridge cover..so this may / might mitigate this issue...only time spend out camping in the bush and desert regions will reveal this design issue.
    The fridge will be sitting in the campers' dedicated fridge compartment..which is well sealed..but whilst setup at camp..wind and dust ingress may become an issue..only time will tell.
    2/. I have noticed that some moisture sitting on outside around the rubber seals when I have opened the lids...so again maybe cleaning will have to be undertaken consciously to mitigate dust and debris sitting around the fridge lid seals etc...again the fridge cover may mitigate this point..
    3/. Because of the low height profile of the fridge, the standing up of large bottles in the fridge compartment will hinder the closing of the lid...so you will need to lie the bottles down..basically it is a compromise I have make because of the low profile of fridges' construction.

Initial impressions.

So far so good..the fridge is working well...over Xmas..6 adults..it kept the drinks and food cold..a no brainer really..
    I will be out camping in the scrub in for Australia long weekend shake down as this will be the fridges' first camp outing...then I have a up coming 3 month trip into Western NSW, Outback SA and up into the Gulf region...80% off-road with a shed load of corrugations and a mountain full of dust...if the Evakool gets through that with out too much trouble...then I will give my impression / review.
    Last edited by Peterng; 3 weeks ago.

I've had an EvaKool in the Tvan for 3 years and it's been everywhere with no issues at all. We have the white fibreglass model which is basically their renowned ice chest but with a compressor attached. It has small current draw and like yours it can be a fridge, freezer or a combo of both. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
    Working...
    X