Roo System (Tigerz11) Awning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roo System (Tigerz11) Awning

I have been wanting to get an awning for a while, but procrastination has got in the way. Should I get a cheap $179 awning or an expensive $380 one. Would I really use the awning much or at all? Don't they look ugly when not in use.

After much online research, I decided to try Roo System's awning. These are sold by the same people who sells Tigerz11 stuff. There are lots of interesting reading on these people ranging from how totally crap the product is (that it will fall apart in your hands), to the controversies surrounding the company being bullied by the big boys.

I decided to give it a try anyway. At $179 delivered to Perth, it was worth a gamble. As I said, I doubt I would be using it that much, and I don't intend to go offroad around the island with it.

I decided to try the Roo brand rather than the Tigerz11 brand simply because I hate the logo less. And I think the Roo one is darker grey colour.

The order took 2 days for them to process (which I whinged about), and took 7 days to get to Perth. Packaging was good when it arrived.

When unpacked, I was very pleased with the product. It just felt good - the materials feels strong and good quality. Even the pegs and guy rope came in a quality separate pouch.

L-brackets, guy ropes, pegs and 8 Stainless Steel Bolt and Nylock nuts were supplied. Once again, they just feel good quality. On some sites, some have mentioned and complained about having only 4 or 6 nuts and bolts, but I got 8. I was surprised there were no instructions on install or use. No warnings or anything. A product that actually expects you to use common sense!

I placed the awning on top of the roofracks to see how it all looks. Straight away, I wish I got the 2.5m (along car) version as I would have liked it to be longer. But this 2m one still looks OK as it goes the length of the roof rails.

I also decided that I want a very neat install in that I want it low and as close to the car as possible. I've seen many 4wd where the awning sticks out like a sore thumb standing a foot tall and a foot outside the racks.

I have genuine Mitsubishi roof racks. Removed the lock and was hoping that the bracket could fit within the rack. I definately did not want it on top of the rack as that brings the awning higher, and will also mean difficulty in loading windsurfboard on that part of the rack.

So I will mount it under the rack. Which meant I spend the next 1.5 hours measuring/cutting/drilling/painting the L brackets. This part probably took the longest. It also meant that I had to find 4X new stainless steel bolts and nuts which are longer.

After all that, the easy part was mounting the awning itself onto the brackets. Helps to have a spare pair of hands, but this is the easy part.

I am happy about how Low Profile the whole installation looks.

Time to set it up. 1 person, for the first time, took me 5 minutes. Will take 2 minutes next time.

Overall impression (having not tested it for real yet), I am impressed with the quality. I can't compare it with other more expensive brands, but it all looks good to me. I have experience with importing 100x containers from China, and I know most China products to be a lot worse. Have a look at the zips - even they show a good deal to attention of details which Made In China stuff lacks!

There are 3 velcro straps that holds it in internally

Feels and looks strong enough - certainly didn't fall apart in my hands. The legs and poles even have a perfectly sized rubber block which holds them in place without vibration. The twist lock worked well on all 4 poles. The zips are strong looking. The internal material, though thin, looks very waterproof and lasting. The external material is strong and waterproof looking.

I drove on the freeway this morning with this on, and it did not add any noticeable noise. The only thing I may do now is to remove that ghastly badge, test it in real life, and if it keeps working, I may put another one on the driver's side.
    Pajero NS Exceed
    Done: HID & LED Driving Lights, Nudge Bar, Bushskinz Bash plates, Roof Rack, UHF, Awning, Bilstein & Lovells 50mm lift, 285/60/18 A/T Tyres, 160W Solar, 120Ah ARK Battery, Waeco CF-50

Great review! Looking forward to hearing how it holds up over time!
    2009 NT GLS DiD 5spd - ARB Deluxe bar, Tigerz11 12,000lbs Winch, Airtec Snorkel, ARB Front Locker, TJM Rear Locker, Hankook AT-M 265/70/17, Bilsteins, Lovells HD 50mm, Bushskinz Intercooler, Sump, Trans & Transfer Case Guards, Brown Davis long range tank, Pioneer Head Unit, ARB Dual Battery Tray, Redarc SBI12, GME TX3440, Lightforce 240 Blitz, Stebel alarm & car horns, Rhino Pioneer Platform rack, DIY (Rear Shelf, Sliders, Fridge Slide), Ultragauge, 3" Exhaust

Comment

Yeah very thorough review - nice work. Look forward to seeing how it goes over time. I don't think there's much difference between the different brands of these personally. It would be interesting to see a photo of the aluminium piece that's at the end of the fabric. The size and shape of these seems to vary a bit and the larger ones are easier to fold up IMO. It's not a major either way, but just one of those little things.
      2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Auto, Lovells HD springs, Bilstein shocks, Firestone Airbags, ARB bar, Warn XD 9000 winch, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, Outback Accessories rock sliders, GME 3200 UHF, CTEK Dc to Dc Dual Battery system, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2 tyres, Torque Converter lock-up kit, Safari snorkel, Taipan high performance exhaust, LRA 66lt long range fuel tank.

Comment

I have a similar set up with a 2.5 long by 2m out. Where the difference is in quality units is the number of pop rivets to the main frame. The tigerz11 apparently only has 5 or so rivets which end up coming apart and your awning falls off. The better quality units will have approx. 9 rivets.

I have also run a strip of LED lights into the frame with a flexible lead to go into the rear power socket for when I go for an overnite camp somewhere. I did half of my Cape York trip under my awning with a stretcher and a swag.
        08 NS 25th Anniversary Limited Edition DID Auto, MM TBar, TJM T13 Bar, Airtec Snorkel, Redarc Dual battery, ORU 12000lb rope winch, Bushskinz Full Bash Plate set, Uniden UHF, Narva 175 spots, HD(F) & SD(R) Lovells, Bilsteins, Dynapro ATs, Diff and trans breathers, Poly Airs, Ridge Rider Awning, Eagle Camper Trailer, Engel 40 lt, Waeco CF110

Comment

Looks good. I like the dark/black coloured bag.

Out of interest, I was debating the same issues (quality vs price) and decided to buy an ARB awning. The bag and awning material on the ARB look and feel quality but the guy ropes were shocking and went in the bin after their first use! I noting that the "pole pivots" of the Roo awning appear to be aluminium - on the ARB one they are plastic
          Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
            Looks good. I like the dark/black coloured bag.

Out of interest, I was debating the same issues (quality vs price) and decided to buy an ARB awning. The bag and awning material on the ARB look and feel quality but the guy ropes were shocking and went in the bin after their first use! I noting that the "pole pivots" of the Roo awning appear to be aluminium - on the ARB one they are plastic
            To put in my 2cents, i compared a mates ARB awning with my tigerz version a few weeks back. The bags, poles and materials is pretty much identical. The main difference was the hinge fittings on the poles are alloy on mine rather than the ARB plastic ones. If the main difference is a few rivets,i reckon i can fix that with a rivet gun and drill. One thing to note, using the bolt heads as the only retention to the brackets seems like poor engineering so i made t bolts using the cut off threads welded into a 30mm length of 12mmx4mm strap to spread out the load a bit, otherwise the extrusion they use looks like it would fail over time just using bolts...
            2001 NM 2.8TD GLS Pajero, ARB bar, 9000lb Tmax winch, Airtec snorkel, GME UHF, breathers, 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, rear storage, Ebay HID's, King EHD lift, LED lighting, dual battery kit, bushskinz intercooler/sump guards, narva +120 globes, tigerz awning, Exedy HD SMF clutch/flywheel kit, pinstriping aplenty...

To do list: Locker, sliders, transmission guard, blah blah blah....

Comment

We've had a roo systems 2x2.5mt awning on our 4by for a while and used it considerably. It has been a reasonable purchase though we feel the quality could be better: there is a small pressure hole in the awning from the contact with the frams when folded; the rubber blocks have mostly fallen off; and the zipper is difficult to do up.

Other than that it's been pretty well ok

Comment

i have the Tiger11 awning which is 2 metres wide by 3 meters deep [out] all fittings from the correct sized L brackets to the quality alloy fittings and easy adjust poles are excellent. the easter special goes from $159 to $189 for the 2 x 3 mtr plus free deleivery in Aust. also if you have Proracks like i have , the L brackets fit very neatly inside as opposed to the previous pics of the Roo mountings that are way over the top and bulky in my books.
                check out the Tiger11 web site for some hot bargains this easter. no i have nothing to do with this company guys.
                NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

I too went through the same process of working out which one to get for the paj and I ended up getting the 3m tiggerz11 unit. The unit itself is of pretty good quality but the big thing for me came into play at xmas time when a gust of wind grabbed mine and turned it into a pretzel only 2 days after mounting it. It took 1 phone call and 2 days and I had new poles, backing plate and cover delivered to home all for nothing...and thats even after telling the guy it was my own fault for not getting the ropes on quick enough...not sure what the aftermaket support is like for the others but im pretty damn happy with my purchase.

The only downside to mine was the bloody great big L shaped mounting brackets that came with it...they would come in handy if i was ever pulling a motor out of a car but a bit of over kill for the awning. They were 4" wide and damn near 12" long and made out of 6mm steel.

Comment

i made up a set of smaller L brackets for the awning mount. what i have for racks are Proracks and there is a channel inside that accomodates a 30mm wide section that you can use / make up with a large cup head bolt that goes under the inner channel and then through the new L bracket of 30mm wide and its then tensioned with a normal nut or a wingnut. i made my brackets from 30mm wide 6mm aluminium and bent to a 90 degree shape [ L ] plus the length going into racks is 200mm which also has 2 bolt mountings per bracket. yes 2 racks and 2 brackets and 4 bolts. [ marine grade stainless ]
                    NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X