Winch rope temperature protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winch rope temperature protection

So now that work has finished for the year I seen to be thinking about problems and solutions once again.

I've read of winch dyneema rope melting due to temperature on the drum. One forum had a comment saying to use some fire hose slit length wise and put over the drum before spooling up to protect from heat.

That got me thinking, what about using exhaust wrap over the drum. Got a roll of it here not getting used, and it's prime purpose in life is insulating hot things.

Anyone ever used it? Anyone got any valid reasons why it would be a bad idea?

I know you can get the length of tube stuff to protect the rope at the bottom of the drum, but I'm not sure what it's made of and even if it would do a better job of insulating the rope compared to something like exhaust wrap.

Sounds like great idea to me
    Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16

Comment

To me that seems like a solution looking for a problem. Unless you're using your winch instead of the tyres there shouldn't be any overheating. If you're winch racing then you should be using steel.

I reckon you don't want anything on your dyneema rope to stop it from spooling nice. If your drum is getting hot you must be cooking your clutch, right?

Comment

Couple of random thoughts

Will the exhaust wrap keep the heat away from the rope? Probably. Is the dissipation of that heat required to prevent cooking stuff (grease?) inside the drum? Maybe. So wrapping the drum and getting it hotter (potentially) inside will do what?

The rope clamps down on the drum as it spools on. What is the slip coefficient ( I made that term up ) of exhaust wrap??

Exhaust wrap often has an adhesive. Will any gasses released by heating exhaust wrap have an adverse effect on dyneema rope. Might do nothing? Might make it sticky? Might (scarily) lower the breaking strain.

Canvas fire hose by comparison would seem pretty inert.

**Disclaimer ** I have very little winch experience
        2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent catch can, Boos bash plates, Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, fridge slide, kings springs, Dunlop ATG3s, Auto-mate, ultragauge, more to come...

Comment

Fundamentally, I'm with whitso - go easy on your winch, to let heat dissipate.

Having said this, I put a length of yellow sleeve over the end of my rope, to kid myself that it will provide a little heat protection. When the sleeve comes out I know I'm on the last layer, and the sleeve also has a red mark indicating 6 turns left - if that red mark comes out, it's time to re-think.

TwoEmms' comment re: slip coefficient is valid, but if you're leaving a minimum of six layers on the drum then I don't think dyneema on steel vs dyneema on exhaust wrap would make much difference.

The comment re: off-gassing is also something to think about, but again, if you're sensible about winch use, it shouldn't be a problem.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

I don't see any difference between 4-6 layers of dyneema or exhaust wrap. Both are going to trap heat. Thats why some people who use a winch often have put an inlet and outlet for their compressor to blow cooler air through the winch. Try a wrap or two of fire blanket.. The lower the number of wraps the better pulling power also. I had an 10,000lb Warn winch many years ago that I absolutely flogged! Steel cable and did some serious extractions on several occasions to beat tides. Drum was as hot as but winch survived...only died due to water ingress (Warn were a bugger for this). New winches are mostly waterproof now. As has been said...just go easy on the winch using the Dyneema...So what if it takes an extra 15 mins to get out?
            Dicko FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
            Having lots of friends on facebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...both meaningless.

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
              I don't see any difference between 4-6 layers of dyneema or exhaust wrap. Both are going to trap heat. Thats why some people who use a winch often have put an inlet and outlet for their compressor to blow cooler air through the winch. Try a wrap or two of fire blanket.. The lower the number of wraps the better pulling power also. I had an 10,000lb Warn winch many years ago that I absolutely flogged! Steel cable and did some serious extractions on several occasions to beat tides. Drum was as hot as but winch survived...only died due to water ingress (Warn were a bugger for this). New winches are mostly waterproof now. As has been said...just go easy on the winch using the Dyneema...So what if it takes an extra 15 mins to get out?
              A winch like the below, does it create less heat in the winch drum, with brake not applied directly to drum

Obviously flog the winch or one with small motor doing big job the electric motor itself will create fair bit of heat?

I don't know much about winches & pointers would be appreciated.

CW-12k Carbon 12K 12000lb Electric winch with Silver Black synthetic rope (carbonoffroad.com.au)

Comment

Dont know about this winch. If I had to get a winch I would go Runva. Plenty have them and all seem pleased (judging by comments on this and other forums). The lighter the better. 10,000lbs is heaps for the Pajero. Dont forget a block pulley either as these can really help.
                Dicko FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
                Having lots of friends on facebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...both meaningless.

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                  Dont know about this winch. If I had to get a winch I would go Runva. Plenty have them and all seem pleased (judging by comments on this and other forums). The lighter the better. 10,000lbs is heaps for the Pajero. Dont forget a block pulley either as these can really help.
                  Runva i agree looks the goods.
                  But i can't find any reason i won't fit Carbon,
                  Runva is faster pull thats for sure

ECB alloy winch bar with Carbon winch
                  In lieu of
                  TJM T13 steel bar & Runva winch
                  Appears from my studies to be more suitable for a Pajero front end.

Comment

Sorry, been flat out and a bit slow responding here.

My natural thing is just taking it easy and do things slowly, but I've read of people having the bottom layer of rope melted even when doing things slow, and being pricey stuff I figure being careful isn't wasted. There is also the concern if I end up in a position of having to lower myself or others down things, working against the brake (Warn 9000 so brake inside the drum)

Slipperiness wise, dyneema is really slippery stuff, especially on metal, so I can't see anything else effecting that. Valid question/concern though.

I think dyneema is very inert as far as reaction with solvents goes, being polyethylene, but that's another valid concern. I don't think adhesive would be a good idea under the protection wrap as it would have to handle high temps. I guess silicone would be alright, but I wouldn't think any other adhesives under there would be a good idea.

First tick in favour of that winch Jason is that its not Warn!! Not real impressed with the design of the warn that I have for the price they charge for them. For that price I would expect much more waterproof from the factory. I got it for $50 so not complaining, but......

Comment

Originally posted by disco stu View Post

I got it for $50 so not complaining, but......
                      Your winch is a great winch i would say @ $50

Your idea has no unitended consequences that i can think off, especially if you drum is kept 3/4 wrapped with tight dyneema string, mark the rope & keep some on drum, let us know if you come up with any unintended consequences.

I

Comment

I'll try it out. Got plenty of exhaust wrap here doing nothing so I'll give it a go

On keeping wraps on the drum, I saw a good idea in a video. I'll try and explain it. Before bolting the end onto drum, run it through a short piece of strap with a loop sewed in each end (or similar). Wind rope on until you get to the end of the strap (I guess size it to the right length) then run the free end of rope through the loop, then continue to spool up winch. That loop will stop you pulling off past it, if it makes sense. I thought it was tricky idea

Comment

That's a great idea!

The only down side is that if the loop is strong enough, when you reach that point it will stop spooling out, change direction on the spool and begin winding in, maybe
                          2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent catch can, Boos bash plates, Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, fridge slide, kings springs, Dunlop ATG3s, Auto-mate, ultragauge, more to come...

Comment

So both the Strap & Dyneema wind on together, then feed the loose strap end through the loop?
                            Any links?

Comment

Find it again. From about 11 min shows the retainer thing. The earlier part is about splicing
                              https://youtu.be/Xavi1qzlfAI

My memory had the process a bit wrong, but I would think a few more wraps would be helpful

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X