Seasons Greetings to all forum members

Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vehicle system settings for offroad - newbie questions about use of auto box mainly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
    One more, what's a good starting point pressure wise?
    Terrain is forest with some puddles, minor mud holes and some rocks. No sand. Running 265/17-70 AT tires (Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus)
    Sticker says 2.0 front and 2.2 rear (BAR) which is 29/32 psi. I was thinking of maybe starting at 22 psi so that's 1.5 BAR for off road.
    Some youtuber's (I think Ronny Dahl too) says to run the same pressure as your size rim = 17psi. Is that way too low or is it sound advice?
    I had a look at the specification for the Nokian Rotiva AT Plus in a 265/70R17 size, these are a 121 load index so a 10 ply rated light truck construction tyre so it is a heavy duty strength tyre.

If the tracks are mild then 22psi all round is ok but it you find the traction control is having to work extensively then drop to 16 psi but keep the speed to 40kph or less.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

I had a look at the specification for the Nokian Rotiva AT Plus in a 265/79R17 size, these are a 121 load index so a 10 ply rated light truck construction tyre so it is a heavy duty strength tyre.

If the tracks are mild then 22psi all round is ok but it you find the traction control is having to work extensively then drop to 16 psi but keep the speed to 40kph or less.

OJ.
      Sorry, typo.....my bad......they are 270/70-17, not 17-70
      Not sure if the aramid (Kevlar) sidewall will have an effect on the way the tire will behave with low pressure either, but will keep that in mind. In any case I'm there with an official off road club that have the expertise to tell me whether or not the pressure is too high.

Comment

Originally posted by redbruce View Post
        Factory is air locker. Compressor is up under third row seating area. When you turn it on the ECU turns off TC. Apparently to prevent potential driveline windup.
        Ummm......under the car then? (on the outside). This link indicates the air pump is under the car next to the rear diff
        I've not seen it on the inside. It's a commercial van so came without 2nd and 3rd row seats, just a flat floor. I've had the entire inside out, sound proofed it then built a drawer/ storage system. No air pump anywhere near the 3rd row tub, not behind the rear wall trim either.

Comment

Sorry, typo.....my bad......they are 270/70-17, not 17-70
          Not sure if the aramid (Kevlar) sidewall will have an effect on the way the tire will behave with low pressure either, but will keep that in mind. In any case I'm there with an official off road club that have the expertise to tell me whether or not the pressure is too high.
          Corrected my typo also!

There are a few manufacturers using Kevlar in the sidewalls of tyres as it is very strong and flexible so the sidewalls could actually bulge out more than a conventional LT tyre with nylon and polyester sidewall ply's. But it depends on the denier (thickness, & density or the weight per m2) and the direction that the ply's are laid, combined with the thickness and compound of the rubber used to encase the the ply's.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Ummm......under the car then? (on the outside). This link indicates the air pump is under the car next to the rear diff
            I've not seen it on the inside. It's a commercial van so came without 2nd and 3rd row seats, just a flat floor. I've had the entire inside out, sound proofed it then built a drawer/ storage system. No air pump anywhere near the 3rd row tub, not behind the rear wall trim either.
            I meant under car in that area.
            MY15 NX Exceed, Auto Mate PRO, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries, Redarc BCDC, MM tow hitch, Teshonka brake controller, Provent catch can, GME 3350 UHF, Boo's bash set, Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/65R18, TPMS, Dobinson/Kings HD 45mm lift, Rhino bars, Drifta 270 awning, spare tyre lift, Ultraguage MX 1.4, TC mod, auxiliary PWR 23 row transmission cooler and radiator cooler bypass, KAON barrier, MM nudgebar, Fyrlyt Luxsis 5000. Stockman allroada pod trailer with ARB Simpson 3 RTT.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X