Darling River Run - worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darling River Run - worth it?

We're looking at a trip to Mungo NP via the Darling River Run in June - has anyone done the stretch between Bourke & Wilcannia?

We're thinking about doing this part over 3-4 days, then Mungo for 2-3 days, then Kanungra and Jenolan for 3-4 days - any suggestions or alternatives for those that have been around these parts?

Overall it looks like about 4,500km round trip from Brissie, planning this for a 20 day trip.

Tips & ideas please!

2008 NS DiD GLX, ARB bar, Warn winch, BFG ATs, Bilstein/Lovell 2" lift, Milford barrier, VMS GPS, Rhino platform rack, Uniden UHF, Mobile 1 antenna, MMA tow bar, DIY dual battery system, Outback rear storage, Bushskinz bash plates x 3, custom steel sliders, Airtec snorkel, Narva HIDs, Ironman awning, ERPS, Glind hot water

I grew up in Bourke so know the area well.

Bourke to Wilcannia is a good drive, just take your time and soak up the scenery and serenity

Went through a few days ago and the landscape is looking great after recent rain.

TIP? Take a few fishing rod's

....there's nothing like camping along side the Darling River!
    COOL SILVER MY10 NT DID GLS MANUAL PAJERO - Colour Coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar - Warn X9 Winch - 60L Auxiliary Tank - Towbar - HID Lightforce Spotlights - DIY dual battery system - TX3440 UHF - Lovells/Bilstien suspension - BushSkinz bash plates - Driver with a passion to explore Australia

Comment

2-3 days for Mungo is overkill IMO.
      Cheers, John.
      LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
      Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
        2-3 days for Mungo is overkill IMO.
        I disagree! Spent three nights there and want to go back.
        Peter
        2018 Pajero Sport Exceed.

4WD History: 2011 MN Triton GLX-R. 2004 NP GLS DiD. 2002 Landrover Freelander Td4. 1996 Subaru DL wagon. Learnt in a 1980 Ford F100.

Comment

Thanks guys - good tips. Sounds like we are on the right track. If we feel a couple of days is enough for Mungo we'll just leave earlier for Kanangra.

2008 NS DiD GLX, ARB bar, Warn winch, BFG ATs, Bilstein/Lovell 2" lift, Milford barrier, VMS GPS, Rhino platform rack, Uniden UHF, Mobile 1 antenna, MMA tow bar, DIY dual battery system, Outback rear storage, Bushskinz bash plates x 3, custom steel sliders, Airtec snorkel, Narva HIDs, Ironman awning, ERPS, Glind hot water

Comment

i have always wanted to do the darling river run, i m a tour guide at jenolan and mate for the traveller kanangra and jenolan are great places to visit, if you want more information , maps and stuff just give me a call or email me

Comment

Originally posted by joshua.alexander View Post
              i have always wanted to do the darling river run, i m a tour guide at jenolan and mate for the traveller kanangra and jenolan are great places to visit, if you want more information , maps and stuff just give me a call or email me
              Joshua, that's amazing. It's incredible who is on this forum! I'll drop you an email - would love to get a decent map of the fire trails and some inside info on the best campsites.

Charlie

Comment

Forgot to say, Bourke isn't near as bad as people would have you believe.

The reputation stems from is a small blown out of proportion disturbance which occurred over 15 years ago which the media portrayed as a riot that took over the whole town.

Then, if anything small happens to the odd person (which happens anywhere/everywhere) people say "yeah well that's Bourke for you" etc. I was born and bred there, living there until I was 18 and never had a single problem living in the town.

Tip, while you're there, have a look at the exhibition centre and go to the tourist centre, there's a few tours you can do to really appreciate the agriculture that's going on there, learn some history of the Darling, way back to the wool carting days along the rivers, and even take a relaxing cruise on the Jandra Paddle boat.
                COOL SILVER MY10 NT DID GLS MANUAL PAJERO - Colour Coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar - Warn X9 Winch - 60L Auxiliary Tank - Towbar - HID Lightforce Spotlights - DIY dual battery system - TX3440 UHF - Lovells/Bilstien suspension - BushSkinz bash plates - Driver with a passion to explore Australia

Comment

Cheers for the Bourke tips Dazza, we're planning to spend a day and a half there.

Joshua - email sent.

Comment

Originally posted by CeeJay View Post
                    Cheers for the Bourke tips Dazza, we're planning to spend a day and a half there.
                    If you want to have a traditional Bourkiette lunch, head into the local Bakery (Morall's Bakery) and get a meat pie and a bottle of local soft drink called Splashe Cola. It's the stuff Jesus lives on I swear!

They have the best meat pies, and once you've tried Splashe you'll be hooked. I know a lot of people used to come through and try it and leave with large cartons of the stuff.

Comment

I told the wife about Splashe Cola- I have to say her face didn't light up......

Nevertheless, looking forward to a good pie at the bakery!

Comment

CeeJay - The Darling River & Mongo Park trip sounds great. As they say ' Just do it'!

Just a couple of things to consider. I see that you have dogs in your sig pic. We travel with a mutt and on our fantastic following the Murray River camping trip from East Victoria to Mildura and then up the Darling, we wanted to go to Mungo but because it was a National Park (no dogs) we canned that part of the trip.

Since returning home I've heard so many great stories about Mungo and I've even been introduced to the head Ranger (so we're set for future dog accom), that I continue to kick myself for missing out on Mungo.

Also a mate tells me that soon (could be June ish) there's a paddle steamer event happening at Wentworth. Maybe it's worth enquiring into & incorporating it into your trip.

I'm currently trying to get my Paj up to speed to tow my CT & if I can manage it and the time off, then I'll be at that paddle steamer event. Maybe I'll see you there.

Cheers - BB
                        2013 NW Platinum Auto DiD - Tow bar, rubber mats, MM GPS, MM neoprene front & rear, ARB compressor, Safari snorkel and Bridgestone D697's.

Daily transport & tug for 2000 Kimberley Kamper.

My 'one day' list:
                        * ARB air lockers
                        * Bilsteins, Lovells & 50mm lift
                        * nudge bar

Comment

Cheers Bill - will check out the paddle steamer thing, and PM you our dates in the area.

Woofers are staying home for this trip - too many good places that don't allow dogs unfortunately. They are coming with us at Xmas so hopefully they won't sulk too long!

Comment

Well turns out the dogs probably could have come with us!

The run down the Darling from Bourke to Menindee was great - highly recommended. We camped at the sheep stations along the banks, which was really nice. Unfortunately when we got to Menindee it started raining and Menindee Lakes, Mungo and Mutawinjie were all closed that day. We hung around in Broken Hill and Mildura for 4 days but still closed so we headed east. Kanangra Boyd was lovely, Yeranderie was awesome, but by this time it was the coldest June in NSW since 1946 and when it got to -4 at night and an inch of snow we abandoned the camping and got a cabin!

Josh - asked after you at Jenolan but you were off at a job interview as it turns out. Jenolan caves was brilliant (so was Abercrombie Caves actually).

Abercrombie NP looked fantastic, but again too cold to camp (for us anyway) and too remote for day trips so after we had had a quick look around (nobody there - the 2 camp sites we went to deserted) we headed for Oberon.

Had a few days warming back up at Gerringong, then headed North til it got warm and camped for a few days at Hat Head NP near Kempsey.

So not quite the trip we planned, but still had fun and managed to use the stubby lever a couple of times in Abercrombie and Kanangra Boyd.

Will have to get back to Mungo and Menindee another day!

I'll post up some pics soon.

Comment

And the pies in Bourke WERE bloody good, but no sign of Splashe Cola......

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X