Queensland road conditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queensland road conditions

In these wet, muddy and flood-y times, I wonder if anyone can explain to me what the "4WD only" status of some of the outback QLD roads means on the https://qldtraffic.qld.gov.au/index.html site. In particular, does it permit one to tow a camper behind one's 4WD?
    BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Originally posted by Pwoffey View Post
    In these wet, muddy and flood-y times, I wonder if anyone can explain to me what the "4WD only" status of some of the outback QLD roads means on the https://qldtraffic.qld.gov.au/index.html site. In particular, does it permit one to tow a camper behind one's 4WD?
    Too many roads & not enough shovels to fix them, some underwater not for the 1st time this year.

At the moment mud, floods, washouts & map says many roads closed, will be floods & mud.

I'm no expert but the water will run out of the channel country for a while once it is flooded & the black soil country, the mud is bottomless

I haven't been taking much notice of how West rains have penetrated in this round of falls , but Sth East this week has had between 10 & 18 inches for the week on top of extensive floods

It is flooding as we speak looking on social media say 6 hours due West of Brisbane in that area,

500k's from Brisbane West Nor West (Roma) i can see flooded road discussions on social media with photo's

Join this Facebook group for info, but appears to me to be a fair bit of water about the black soil & channel country

St George QLD Road Conditions, look it up

Below is end of March
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-...nths/100948580
    Last edited by Jasonmc73; 2 weeks ago.
    Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

No idea...however if I saw a "4wd only" sign I wouldn't contemplate taking a trailer unless previously having driven on the road...even then I,d be prepared to turn back if my gamble didn't pay off. Every time we get really heavy rain up here I cringe at the news reports of f,wits charging through flooded streets and roads. Lets take it literally...
      4wd,s Only"...your trailer is not 4wd .so therefore not permitted...simples.
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
      Some days your the dog...other days your the tree!!

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post

No idea...however if I saw a "4wd only" sign I wouldn't contemplate taking a trailer unless previously having driven on the road...even then I,d be prepared to turn back if my gamble didn't pay off. Every time we get really heavy rain up here I cringe at the news reports of f,wits charging through flooded streets and roads. Lets take it literally...
        4wd,s Only"...your trailer is not 4wd .so therefore not permitted...simples.
        Case by case basis.

Beach is 4WD example.

At moment i suspect "4wd" only is washouts & slippery mud,.

But still that much water about it's a dangerous prospect if your not a local.

I'm a chicken & would stay out of the black soil channel countries until further notice

Once it dries out, case by case road by road basis, i wouldn't be overly concerned once it dries out, just be happy to make a plan B.

At the moment not for me, but as i say i'm a chicken .
        Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

A copy paste from another group

Road closures as at 6:45am 14/5/22 from TMR. Information correct at the time of posting. Please add updates in the comments thanks Leanne Dyer Admin
          Balonne Highway
          Nebine
          Patterson Creek approximately thirty kilometres, west of Bollon
          Balonne Highway
          Nebine
          West of Jhelum Plains Road
          Barwon Highway
          North Talwood
          Approximately five kilometres West of Talwood
          Bruce Highway
          Gympie
          Between Excelsior Road and Hall Lane Diversions in place on Brisbane Road
          Carnarvon Highway
          Thallon
          Approximately thirty kilometres, north of Mungindi
          Cunningham Highway
          Allan
          Sandy Creek Bridge
          Cunningham Highway
          Warwick
          O O Madsen Bridge
          Cunningham Highway
          Clintonvale
          In the vicinity of Freestone Creek
          Cunningham Highway
          Tarome / Tregony
          From Clumber to the top of the Cunningham Gap
          D'aguilar Highway
          Woodford
          Stanley River bridge west of Woodford
          D'aguilar Highway
          Kilcoy
          at Kilcoy Creek east of Kilcoy
          Leichhardt Highway
          Dalwogon
          At Wallan Creek
          Leichhardt Highway
          Condamine / Moonie
          Between Condamine and Moonie
          New England Highway
          Glengallan
          In the vicinity of Backwater Creek
          New England Highway
          Glengallan
          Between Diggles Road and Cunningham Highway
          Warrego Highway (Crossroads)
          Crowley Vale / Forest Hill
          Between Forest Hill Fernvale Road and Maroney Road
          *awaiting bridge inspection
          Wide Bay Highway
          Bells Bridge
          Bauple Woolooga Road ( Woolooga Road)
          Gundiah
          Clifton Leyburn Road
          Ellangowan
          Between Passmore Road and Toowoomba Karara Road
          Condamine Meandarra Road
          Condamine / Meandarra
          Meandarra To Condamine
          Dingo Mount Flora Road
          Golden Mile Road
          Dysart / May Downs
          from Bore Creek to peak downs intersection various locations
          Esk Kilcoy Road
          Hazeldean
          at Beam Creek Bridge
          Fitzroy Developmental Road
          Bingegang / MacKenzie River
          From Twelve Mile Creek through to McKenzie River Capella Road
          May Downs
          Between Golden Mile Road and Dysart-Middlemount Road
          Rhydding / Taroom
          From Leichhardt Highway to Dawson Highway. Open to local traffic only.
          Gatton Clifton Road
          Ma Ma Creek / Winwill
          Between Grantham Winwill Road and Mount Sylvia Road
          Gatton Esk Road
          Adare / Lake Clarendon
          In the vicinity of Lockyer Creek
          Gatton Helidon Road
          Grantham / Helidon
          From Helidon to Grantham
          Gayndah Mt Perry Road
          Mount Perry
          at Sunday Creek
          Gladstone Monto Road
          Boyne Valley
          At Boyne River
          Gympie Woolooga Road
          Gympie / Southside
          Kidd Bridge
          Haigslea Amberley Road
          Amberley / Walloon
          Five Mile Bridge over Bremer River between Bell St and Hansen Rd
          Hensley Drive
          Cloncurry
          Hughenden Muttaburra Road
          Tablederry
          Muttaburra to Hughenden
          Ipswich Rosewood Road
          Amberley / Rosewood
          Between School St and Haigslea Amberley Rd, including 7 Mile Bridge
          Jackson Wandoan Road
          Wandoan
          In the vicinity of Sundown Road
          Jackson Wandoan Road
          Wandoan
          Intersection with Leichhardt Highway
          Jackson Wandoan Road
          Jackson North
          Tchanning Creek
          Kennedy Developmental Road
          Hughenden / Lyndhurst
          Matchbox Creek 20km from Hughenden
          Kilcoy Murgon Road
          Sheep Station Creek
          Sheep Station Creek Number one
          Marian Eton Road
          North Eton
          At Sandy Creek Floodway
          Maryborough Biggenden Road
          Aramara & Lakeside
          Meandarra Talwood Road
          Meandarra / Westmar
          Meandarra to Westmar
          Mitchell Saint George Road
          Saint George
          Horse Creek approximately one hundred and sixty six kilometres, south of Mitchell
          Noondoo Mungindi Road
          Thallon
          Pittsworth Felton Road
          Felton
          At Hodgson Creek
          Pomona Kin Kin Road
          Pinbarren
          Flash Flooding at Six Mile Creek
          Prairie Road
          Prairie
          Muttaburra to Prarie
          Roma Condamine Road
          Moraby
          Dogwood Creek
          Roma Taroom Road
          Taroom
          At Sandy Creek Bridge
          Roma Taroom Road
          Eurombah
          Kangaroo Creek
          Roma Taroom Road
          Eurombah
          Closed between Burradoo Road amd Roma Taroom Road intersection
          Rosewood Laidley Road
          Calvert / Lanefield
          closed east of Bunney Rd
          Surat Developmental Road
          Glenmorgan / Wellesley
          Surat to Glenmorgan
          Talwood Mungindi Road
          North Talwood
          Approximately eleven kilometres south of Talwood
          Tin Can Bay Road
          Victory Heights
          Closed at Moody Creek
          Tin Can Bay Road
          Gympie
          Between John Street and Phoenix Street
          Toowoomba Karara Road
          Ellangowan / Felton South
          Condamine River
          Torbanlea Pialba Road
          Takura
          Between Toogum Road and Mungomery Road
          Warwick Allora Road
          Deuchar
          Glengallan Creek
          Warwick Killarney Road
          Murrays Bridge
          Yuleba Surat Road
          Yuleba
          Yuleba Taroom Road
          Yuleba North
          1 Comment
          Comment

Comment

In SA, "4wd" is one step away from "Closed", and is no towing (and 4wd under 3T - so that counts me out, and most LandCruisers, Patrols etc...)

I'd err on the side of caution and presume the Qld definitions are the same.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Thanks all. I'll be putting Plan B into action.
              BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

If in doubt ring the local copper & ask them, after all it's they who enforce the rules.
                All the gear and some idea.....
                MY15 NX GLS, AutoMate Pro, UltraGauge Mx1.4, Ironman Steel Bar, Kaon Intercooler & sump bashplates, Boos Rear bumper plate, KAON cargo barrier & shelf, Munji EGR delete cable, Provent catch can, Redarc BCDC 1220, 105a/Hr AGM 2nd battery, Snapshades (all rear glass) ........
                Leave only footsteps & take only photographs

Leave the tracks & camps in better condition then you found them

Comment

Thanks all. I'll be putting Plan B into action.
                  That would be my choice as well,

Too much water about, floods few months apart in many areas at a glance.

Cooler weather now so it won't dry in a hurry, grounds pretty full for many places

In the brigalow country you'll find fair bit of black soil, basically the more wheels you have the more bogged you'll be, if you were to venture off the bitumen or improved dirt road surfaces even if not flooded
                  Last edited by Jasonmc73; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Drives me nuts when I see what's done to wet roads by people who insist on pushing through.
                    Different story when the place is inundated but in many instances it would only be a day or two before the surface dries out sufficiently for travel to resume.

Does Plan B factor the distinct possibility that the way forward will be blocked when you've travelled 300km or more . . . . and then have to turn back to find an alternative route ? How much fuel do we keep in reserve ?

For planning a route around closed roads I've found that the RACQ website is better/easier to use than the Main Roads website, especially when using a mobile phone.

The map of outback roads that's produced by Transport SA gives a very clear picture of open/restricted/closed status. Coloured lines are presented at a glance rather than the others that use individual dot points for locations that you have to interrogate for more detail.
                    Last edited by Kingbrown; 1 week ago.
                    2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

I have travelled very extensively in many remote areas of northern Australia over the years and always do plenty of research before doing so. I am well aware of the danger to both my vehicle(s) and to the roads of irresponsible driving, and I have witnessed not a little of this in others. My initial query was simply to ascertain what was the actual meaning of one of the Qld road warning signs, since it was not defined in any of the material I looked at online (maybe I missed it). I also sent an email to Qld DTMR, but their promise of a 3 week turnaround in responding left me a little underwhelmed.

On any of my trips I always have alternative plans, often several, and I would encourage others to do so. It is a little easier for me, perhaps, as I am retired and time pressures are less than for those with more restricted schedules. One must also consider each element and section of a journey. For example, at present, if I wanted to get to Karumba from Adelaide, I cannot do it in my usual way, since many sections of road north of Tibooburra are closed, but by diverting east through Cobar and then north it is possible. However, if I want to then travel west from Normanton to Burketown and, say, into Boodjamulla, it would be very problematic. Further although it seems (from the NT road map) that roads in the NT are all open, there are closures on the Qld side of the border west from Burketown. So, you have to consider every section and decide if doing all the hard yards (miles) to get to the area is going to be worth it if you get stymied later on. Fuel is never a problem for me (81L aux tank) but I've had to help people out who didn't plan on detours and retreats (or in one case, a ruptured fuel tank).

My own Plan B, at present, is not to go north this year at all. In many other years I have gone north (Pilbara, Kimberley, Arnhem Land, Gulf, Cape York etc) quite early in the "dry" and have not had a problem. This year my plans look like being squashed. Luck of the draw. But I have others plans .

Comment

I have travelled very extensively in many remote areas of northern Australia over the years and always do plenty of research before doing so. I am well aware of the danger to both my vehicle(s) and to the roads of irresponsible driving, and I have witnessed not a little of this in others. My initial query was simply to ascertain what was the actual meaning of one of the Qld road warning signs, since it was not defined in any of the material I looked at online (maybe I missed it). I also sent an email to Qld DTMR, but their promise of a 3 week turnaround in responding left me a little underwhelmed.

On any of my trips I always have alternative plans, often several, and I would encourage others to do so. It is a little easier for me, perhaps, as I am retired and time pressures are less than for those with more restricted schedules. One must also consider each element and section of a journey. For example, at present, if I wanted to get to Karumba from Adelaide, I cannot do it in my usual way, since many sections of road north of Tibooburra are closed, but by diverting east through Cobar and then north it is possible. However, if I want to then travel west from Normanton to Burketown and, say, into Boodjamulla, it would be very problematic.
                        Dont think you,d have any problem getting to Lawn Hill from Burketown/Gregory at the moment

Further although it seems (from the NT road map) that roads in the NT are all open, there are closures on the Qld side of the border west from Burketown. So, you have to consider every section and decide if doing all the hard yards (miles) to get to the area is going to be worth it if you get stymied later on. Fuel is never a problem for me (81L aux tank) but I've had to help people out who didn't plan on detours and retreats (or in one case, a ruptured fuel tank).

My own Plan B, at present, is not to go north this year at all. In many other years I have gone north (Pilbara, Kimberley, Arnhem Land, Gulf, Cape York etc) quite early in the "dry" and have not had a problem. This year my plans look like being squashed. Luck of the draw. But I have others plans .
                        Dicko. FNQ

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Dicko wrote:

Dont think you,d have any problem getting to Lawn Hill from Burketown/Gregory at the moment
                          Today's road closure map shows that the Normanton to Burketown Road is "4WD" only to Leichhardt Falls. Also, the road from Gregory into Adels Grove is "High Clearance Only" (was "4WD only" a day or so ago) so presumably still not dry. And then the road west from Burketown through Doomadgee/Hell's Gate to the NT is still "4WD only". All this affects my group. Of course it might be that in a little less than 2 weeks, all will be OK, but that's a hell of a long way to drive to bet that it will be. I have the option of doing the trip in reverse, that is, do the NT parts (Elsey, Limmen, Lorella Springs etc) first, then go east in Qld which would give an extra 2-3 weeks for the roads to clear up. My companions and I are toying with that idea. Still a risk. Probably need to decide by mid next week.

Otherwise my alternative Plan is a trip to the Gawler Ranges, Lake Gairdner, Roxby and the Flinders Ranges. Just a bit chillier at this time of year!

Comment

Dicko wrote:

Today's road closure map shows that the Normanton to Burketown Road is "4WD" only to Leichhardt Falls. Also, the road from Gregory into Adels Grove is "High Clearance Only" (was "4WD only" a day or so ago) so presumably still not dry. And then the road west from Burketown through Doomadgee/Hell's Gate to the NT is still "4WD only". All this affects my group. Of course it might be that in a little less than 2 weeks, all will be OK, but that's a hell of a long way to drive to bet that it will be. I have the option of doing the trip in reverse, that is, do the NT parts (Elsey, Limmen, Lorella Springs etc) first, then go east in Qld which would give an extra 2-3 weeks for the roads to clear up. My companions and I are toying with that idea. Still a risk. Probably need to decide by mid next week.

Otherwise my alternative Plan is a trip to the Gawler Ranges, Lake Gairdner, Roxby and the Flinders Ranges. Just a bit chillier at this time of year!
                            I had mates up that fishing. Went to Lawn Hill and Hells Gate. Burketown last received rain on the 10th May. . Locals said no issue getting around now, especially on the salt plains that are 100 times more likely to bog you. . I,m only going on what a local told me.
                            Dicko. FNQ

Telegraph X camper

Comment

I had mates up that fishing. Went to Lawn Hill and Hells Gate. Burketown last received rain on the 10th May. . Locals said no issue getting around now, especially on the salt plains that are 100 times more likely to bog you. . I,m only going on what a local told me.
                              That is interesting Dicko. I am intending to phone Hell's Gate Roadhouse and the police at Burketown tomorrow to get a better feel for things. The road closure maps posted by the various state departments are not always up to date.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X