Vic High Country trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vic High Country trip

Thought I'd throw up some pics and give a rundown from the weekend's adventure up in the Vic high country, which was absolutely fantastic.

The trip was held over two days with two vehicles, starting in Myrtleford before heading out to Lake Buffalo and up the Abbeyard Rd. Then ventured along Mt Selwyn Rd before hitting Tea Tree Range Rd. Stopped at Sarah's Hut for a quick bite to eat, before heading down Sarah Spur Track. We got to Talbotville at around 3pm where we setup camp, amongst we estimated another 70+ 4x4s (and one VX Commodore wagon haha). We headed up the Crooked River track where we collected some firewood, before heading back to camp and calling it for a day.

The following day we headed for South Basalt Track, only to find that it was still 'closed' due to fire damage. So we backtracked Brewery Creek Rd and then Basalt Knob Track intending to reach our destination - Blue Rag Range Track. I've heard numerous stories and opinion regarding Blue Rag Range, which I soon realised would become the highlight of the trip, just edging out the slow yet satisfying crawling descent/ascent of Sarah Spur Track. We headed to the trig point along Blue Rag Range - the views were simply amazing, and well worth the short and moderately challenging trip to the top. From here we ventured towards the Dargo High Plains Rd, coming out the Alpine Rd and heading home back through Bright.

Overall the trip was short yet amazing, and look forward to hitting the Vic HC again soon.

Couple of stats from the trip -
    Distance on dirt: 200 km
    Highest point reached: 1718 m
    Average speed: 22 km/h
    Average fuel consumption: 20.5 l/100km
    Min/max day temp: 3 to 28 deg C
    Steepest climb: Blue Rag Range, just prior to the trig point

Lake Buffalo spillway

Sarah's Hut

Getting the BFG's dirty!

Start of Mt Sarah Track

The Paj and my cousin's Hummer, which actually proved itself beyond expectation!

Mt Sarah Track

Wongongarra (?) River crossing, Mt Sarah Track

Wongongarra (?) River crossing, Mt Sarah Track

Wishing I had bought that 2" lift before the trip!

Paj crawling its way up Mt Sarah Track

They see me rollin...

Tea Tree ranges

Hummer trawling along Crooked River Track

Talbotville campsite

Looking back down Mt Sarah Track from Mad Dog lookout

Blue Rag Track, must have got cold that night!

I know it's not a Pajero, but man doesn't this thing look mean?! Along Blue Rag Range

On the way up Blue Rag Range Track

Top of Blue Rag Range

Back on the Alpine and reinflating.

Cheers,
    Adam

nice trip.
    Yes Talbotville had a lot of people in there, we went though around 12.30 PM Sat.

Paj, Jeep, Mav, Nissan.

Regards
    Michael.
    2016 NX,GLS,DID,Auto. Rear DL, ARB deluxe BB, Warn winch, Safari Snorkle, Tow bar, Redarc tow pro, Front door windows tinted, Traxide SC80 dual battery system, Rino roof bars, Icom IC440 UHF, Lovells HD + 50mm springs all round, ????? shocks and struts, Proclip & Strike phone mount.

Comment

So nice, cant wait to do blue rag.
      Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
      New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

Originally posted by rad_23_3 View Post
        Awesome pic!

Originally posted by rad_23_3 View Post
        Is that trig point on Mt Blue Rag? Last time I was there the trig point wasn't.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Cheers mate. Yeah that is the trig point on top of Blue Rag - suprised it wasn't there last time.

We camped at Talbotville on Sunday night, still plenty of people there, and many more on the way through. Definitely will be back there again sometime.

Comment

Great photos! Looks like a fantastic trip.

Thanks for sharing, and making me want to hit the High Country even more than i already do!!
            | 2010 NT Pajero GLS Manual DiD |

| ARB Deluxe Bullbar Colourcoded | Bushskinz Intercooler & Sump Guards | Bilstein & Lovells HD Lift |
            | Bridgestone D697's LT | Airtec Snorkel | Lightforce 170 Spotlights | Rhino Bars & Darche Awning |
            | Milford Cargo Barrier | ARB Dual Battery Tray | Redarc Battery Isolator | LRA 58L Long Range Tank |
            | GME TX3510 | Polyair Bags | Runva EWX12000 Winch | SPVi EGR | Challenge Offroad Camper Trailer |

Purchased But Still To Fit - | MMA Spare Wheel Lift |

Comment

Thanks for the photos . Be spending a bit of time up there next week.
              Blue Rag looks like a walk in the park now.
              Dave
              NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
              Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

Doing that track, again, with a few mates can't wait after seeing those great pics..

Gus.
                VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
                NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

Thanks for the report and great photos.

Vic High Country is on my to-do list, esp Blue Rag.
                  2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

I miss the High country. I'm headind out just for an overnighter to get back into it.
                    .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                    NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Yeah Blue Rag actually was in a lot better condition than I was expecting - looks as though it was all that long ago they've trucked in some gravel and regraded it.

Best thing about the high country, you can spend as long or as little time up there depending on your timeframe! Whether it's a day trip or a week long bender, still a good trip!

Comment

yeah they ruined the drive along blue rag when they graded it.
                        they also grade Basalt sth track ruined that to.

Michael.
                        2016 NX,GLS,DID,Auto. Rear DL, ARB deluxe BB, Warn winch, Safari Snorkle, Tow bar, Redarc tow pro, Front door windows tinted, Traxide SC80 dual battery system, Rino roof bars, Icom IC440 UHF, Lovells HD + 50mm springs all round, ????? shocks and struts, Proclip & Strike phone mount.

Comment

Hi,

What was the name of the track or tracks that run along the ridge tops?

Going through HC starting on Saturday (in Colac at moment) and looking for some info, heading through to Canberra.

I don't have a snorkel or winch and will be towing a large camper trailer.

Cheers,
                          Mike
                          2007 NS Pajero, DiD Auto, Champagne
                          Done: DIY Dual Battery and tray, ARB deluxe bar, On board ARB air compressor, IPF 900XS Spotties and GME TX3440, Waeco 50L dual zone, Hayman Reese tow bar, 50mm suspension lift, Mickey Thomson ATZ.

http://conthefruiterer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Blue rag stunning views but its dead ender.

Cynthia spur.

Tea tree not to bad either.

Billy Goat more stunning views.

The bluff from bluff hut to Lovicks,

Michael.

Comment

Thanks,

Will they be easily done with just a 2 inch lift?

Looks like we will now set up the trailer at craigs hut for 2 or 3 nights and then move to a more northerly site for a couple more, any suggestions for the next camp location, with 3 small children to play at?

Looking forward to the next 5 to 6 nights.

Mike
                              2007 NS Pajero, DiD Auto, Champagne
                              Done: DIY Dual Battery and tray, ARB deluxe bar, On board ARB air compressor, IPF 900XS Spotties and GME TX3440, Waeco 50L dual zone, Hayman Reese tow bar, 50mm suspension lift, Mickey Thomson ATZ.

http://conthefruiterer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X