The Paj on Fraser Island.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Paj on Fraser Island.

Have recently returned from a trip to Fraser Island & then back home via the east coast with total time away being 3 weeks; not long enough....

Was unsure which vehicle to take, my trusty NL or my partners NP.... In the end we decided to take the NP as it is much nicer to drive on the 'black top', tows the camper trailer more easily & last but not least, had no plans to do any real serious off road driving.

3 vehicles headed off on a Wednesday afternoon to arrive at Inskip Point on the Sunday morning. The drive up was quite enjoyable with a few stops along the way, with one being at 'The Dish'.

After the dish visit, we found a nice spot for the night & some kind person/persons had left a pile of firewood, so we were able to have a fire on what turned out to be clear but coldish night.

Arrived at Rainbow Beach Sunday morning, topped up with fuel & a few other supplies, then made our way to Inskip Point to catch the barge over to the Island.

Lots of vehicles getting stuck with the 'locals' saying they couldnt remember the sand being so soft, & yes the paj got stuck as well. Not the vehicles fault, it was 'driver error' as I picked the wrong gear.....

Finally got onto the barge, then we starting the long drive up to Cathedrals where we were staying for the week. Lots of traffic heading back too....

NL Pajero,F&R airlockers, reduction gears, Ironman susp, ARB bullbar, Tigerz winch, Uniden UHF, roolite driving lights, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib &, BFG KM2' tyres

MUD SUCKS.

We didnt have any real dramas travelling along the beach, even though there were a number of soft sections that did make it a little difficult for those of us towing campers. We had a short stop at the Maheno shipwreck before making our way into the campground.

The campground was 'chockers' but our powered sites were huge, so plenty of room between campers.

A quiet night with a few drinks with the plan the next day to head along the inland tracks to visit some of the lakes & other attractions....
    NL Pajero,F&R airlockers, reduction gears, Ironman susp, ARB bullbar, Tigerz winch, Uniden UHF, roolite driving lights, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib &, BFG KM2' tyres

MUD SUCKS.

Comment

Reasonably early start the next day & before long we were on the inland tracks making our to Moon Point on the west side of the island. Was slow going as the tracks were quite rough & along the way we took in some of the sights & the local residents.....

The 'locals'.

We then arrived at a 'interesting' bit of track....

We finally arrived at Moon Point where we stopped for lunch before making our way back via Eli Creek where a few of us had a 'dip'.

The fresh water of the creek was also great for giving the paj a 'wash'...

MUD SUCKS.

Comment

Next day we again headed inland & took in a few other lakes, including Lake McKenzie; very average to say the least... Lake Birrabeen was far more impressive & it was here we all had a swim.

On leaving the carpark, we then spent at least an hour recovering some vehicles that got stuck.....

We also visited Lake Wabby & spent some more time at 'The Maheno'.

On our way back to camp, we encountered our 1st dingoes, and over the next few days we came across a few more.

Next day was going to be a 'rest day' before we headed north the following day in what turned out to be the highlight of our visit to Fraser.....

More to come later tonight.

MUD SUCKS.

Comment

Nice pics Allan, good to see your still getting around.
          Steele Perkins (#1263)
          NP Pajero with added goodness..

Comment

Enjoyed our 'rest day' just pottering around & it was to bed early as we we were getting up at 4.30am the next morning.....

Reason was we were heading to Sandy Cape & had to do the trip when the tide was suitable. Anyway, this was what we saw as we arrived on the beach that morning.

Of course had to take a shot of the paj at sunrise....

Had heard some horror stories about the trip to the Cape, especially soft section at Indian Head along with many saying;"Dont get caught up there when the tide is coming in".

Anyway, we had a good run up without any issues & got to see some great sights along the way.

The Cape was amazing & so different from 'down south'; basically no people around..... We wanted to do the walk to the lighthouse, but the tide was already starting to come in & we didnt want to be stuck here for 6 hrs or more, so we started to head back.

Did get a couple of shots of the lighthouse though.

We arrived back at camp at about 11.30am & all of us commented on what a fantastic drive it was to an amazing place.
            Last edited by allanmac; 12-11-13, 07:55 PM.

MUD SUCKS.

Comment

Next day went back to Indian Head, Orchid Beach & Waddy Point then back to camp to start to pack up. Got some nice shots from the lookout point at Indian Head.

Next day, we were on our way back to the 'mainland'. There was a bit of a queue waiting to get on the barges.....

Finally got back to Rainbow Beach where we hit the carwash before making our way south.

Well Fraser Island was well worth the visit. In saying that, am not sure if I would go back there again; certainly not in school hollies. But it is one of those places that is a 'must see', but again not in the main holiday periods, as the place was 'chockers'.

We then spent 8 days driving back to Melb via the east coast, & this part of the trip was as good, if not better than our time on Fraser.

Hope I didnt bore you all too much with the story & pics.

MUD SUCKS.

Comment

Thanks for the great report, we are planning a trip mid next year, and it does clash with school hols, I think I will revise the dates.
                2013 NW GLX-R Factory Locker, TC mod,Dual Battery, 240V inverter, Anderson Plug, Fire Extinguisher. GME TX3500 UHF Radio, MM Alloy Bar, ORU 12000lb Winch,EGR mod, Fancy wheels, 33" Pirelli ATR Tyres, LRA Aux tank, Custom bash plates & Rock sliders, Ultra Gauge, ARB Compressor, LED Light bar, little mods around the cabin. Kings Std Ratecoils & Ultimate Shocks, Firestone HP airbags, Airteck Snorkel, Hema 6. Towing: Starcraft outback

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo2 View Post
                  Thanks for the great report, we are planning a trip mid next year, and it does clash with school hols, I think I will revise the dates.
                  Jimbo, if you can try to skip the school hollies. As well as campsites being full, the traffic on the beach & inland tracks is pretty 'full on' at times....

MUD SUCKS.

Comment

My only trip to Fraser was a club trip over Anzac Day in 2004 - it coincided with a "Clean up Fraser" weekend, so the island was busy. We stayed on after the holiday, and the difference was amazing. That first morning, wandering onto the beach with a coffee, not another soul in sight for as far as the eye could see. Awesome.

If at all possible, avoid holidays.

And Allan, thanks for the pics - fond memories.
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Fraser looks like a great spot but we don't get that much traffic on the freeway, what a pain that must be trying to get on and off the island.
                      I suppose we a lucky in the west lots of coastline, I spent last weekend on a beach about 1 hour from the front door, saw 2 cars all weekend and did not get bogged, has to be a plus for me.
                      NX 2016 GLS, Graphite, Nudge Bar, Pirelli Scorpion Plus.

Comment

see the holes on moon point landing road are still there, not as deep as when we were there though, we did the trip up to sandy cape on the east coast and then came back down the west to moon point landing then out that road which had some monster holes, the range rover, wrangler and other delica with me all had to get towed at of various holes on that road, only for us to find a road closed sign at the start of that road, mentioned to a ranger that we used the road the next day and that there was only a sign at one end and he said yes they were going to go looking for who it was that had come through but agreed we weren't to know as they hadn't put the sign out as they got stuck trying to get out to put it up so had abandoned putting it out. Is an interesting road and the west coast from sandy cape down was definitely different to the rest of the island, and the looks we got from the pootrol and landcruiser boys at the cape were worth the effort to get there, especially when the 3 cars behind us all come up and thanked us for pulling them through indian head cause there club members had left them behind.
                        Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
                        Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

Comment

I go over there every now and then and have never had any problem getting on or off the ferry due to the traffic.

It can get busy but lots of room and last time had two ferry's running so wait time was very short.

Awesome spot,lots of fun pulling people out when they get bogged

Love your photos and commentary.

This is my NP and expanda over there.
                          Attached Files
                          Auto 2013 NW EXCEED Turbo Diesel
                          Mainly used for towing Off-road Jayco Expanda,Off-road camper trailer,
                          Shopping trolly and school bus.

Comment

We then spent 8 days driving back to Melb via the east coast, & this part of the trip was as good, if not better than our time on Fraser.

Mate sad to read that as above ................... I've been to Fraser about 20 times but never yet on a weekend or public holidays. As you said pick the next trip during the off days and as long as you don't roll up at the same place at the same time as a bus full you will enjoy much more the beauty and tranquility that is the Island in it's glory.
                            We have camped many nights with not another campsite in sight nor sound

Comment

Originally posted by Bogger View Post

Mate sad to read that as above ................... I've been to Fraser about 20 times but never yet on a weekend or public holidays. As you said pick the next trip during the off days and as long as you don't roll up at the same place at the same time as a bus full you will enjoy much more the beauty and tranquility that is the Island in it's glory.
                              We have camped many nights with not another campsite in sight nor sound
                              Bogger, if I get back there, it will be in the 'quieter times'. Think it would give me a totally different perspective of the island.

MUD SUCKS.

Comment

Working...
                              X