Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sydney to Broken Hill - Pajero vs Rental Car

Hi All,

We are plannning to travel to Broken hill this christmas holiday for around 9 days. We will be travelling from Sydney-Dubbo-Broken Hill on our way there and while coming back Mildura -Red Cliff - Giffith - Sydney.

I have 2002 Pajero 3.5 NM GLS which has around 105Ks on it. The major service is due for 100K. My girlfriend was insisting to get rental car so I reserved Kia Rio 3 doors (1.4 Ltr). That was the last option left.

1.Do you guys believe it is risky to take Pajero to Broken hill without 100K service?
    2. If I do major service would Pajero be good option for the trip?
    3. Are there any other things I should consider before making a decision?

Thanks guys...
    Pajero 2002 GLS NM (Auto - Petrol)

Get your pants and your nads back off you girlfriend and do the service on the Paj. It will be more comfortable for the trip and it needs the service anyway. They are a great model the NM. I took mine to the Cape with over 300k on the clock and it was the only vehicle in our group not to break down and it was also the oldest. It will do the trip with ease.
    NT 2010 GLX Police Pack, Auto 3.2 Diesel, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Winch and Rear Diff Lock. Cooper AT3s on Factoty Alloys, 45mm lift TJM XGS GOLD front & rear, S/D with Poly air bags Rear and HD Front , Bushskinz I/C guard, TJM T/F Case And G/Box guards, Duel Battery setup with Redarc Isolator and Redarc electric brake controller.

Comment

Hahahahah....thanks for the reply...

just in case if car breaks down after major service (unlikely to happen) I will be covered by Roadside assistance but Should I carry any perticular things to just cover myself if something happens?

Comment

If your pajero breaks down with your mrs on board you probably better take some ear plugs

Comment

Another vote for the service on the Paj. Do you really want to drive that far in a Kia Rio? I had to drive from the Gold Coast to Caloundra in one of those. They are probably OK around the suburbs but on the highway they are probably the worst car I have ever driven.
          SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

To my mind the torture a vehicle gets when driving city streets would be far worse than a cruisy ride to B'Hill. Just my 2c worth.
            2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

take the pajero

You need to service the pajero anyway and if a mechanic is doing the job tell him to go over other bits and pieces whilst he's got it. That way if something goes wrong you get to blame the mechanic.

My wife and I did a trip to broken hill and lake Eyre last year in our NM pajero without any issues. Since its a new car to us we learnt a lot about what we like and don't like about our set up which you only get to experience with real trips.

Mik
              2000 NM Pajero - Petrol. Bull Bar, 2" lift, dual battery, rear bar and other bits and pieces.

Comment

Paj or Rio ?.
                Take the Paj !!
                Formerlya NH and a NL GLS, both raised, Dual Batteries,
                Free wheeling hubs, Bullbars, Snorkels etc.

Recently picked up another NL that's knocked about. Might be a new project.

Comment

Service the Pajero , don't skip servicing. Once the service has been done take the pajero. No way I could suffer in a Kia Rio for that distance.
                  NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, roof racks otherwise stock as a rock.

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.
                  Wanting: Rocksliders, 2" lift, snorkel or perhaps I should wait and purchase a NS swb in 12months time.

Comment

I did a 10 day Tassie Tour in a Brand Corolla Rent a Car, it just about Killed me, the driving position was one of the worst I've ever driven, Boy was I glad to get back into my old NM ! Drive your Pajero, if you don't have All the dough to do the Major Service, just change the Oil, Filters and Check the Coolant. You can do the Rest of the Major Service when you get back, I always worry when I have a Big Drive after a Major Service is done.
                    NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

Pajero for sure after a service, I will miss my V8 commodore on this Christmas trip on the black top though.
                      MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.

Comment

Pajero with 100k on the clock or a Kia Rio that you have to pay a hire company for, for a couple of thousand K trip, hmmm tough decision.

Comment

Being a hire car it will tackle the outback roads and local 4wd tracks just as well as the Paj.
                          Not to mention loving the hours on the engines red line, drag racing, gutter jumping, touch parking, spilling food and drink while hand brake turning and reverse donuts to name a few...
                          Rio looking good.
                          Last edited by Phil; 10-12-13, 09:17 PM.
                          MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.

Comment

Ah yes I did forget about the extra capabilities of the hire car.

Comment

Extra capabilities? Which one are those?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X