Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trek North of Newcastle

Hi all,

Looking to do a week long trek north of Newcaslte for the next School Hols. What we are looking to do is stay at 2 places (use as base camps) then branch off from there. The furtherest north we want to go is Coffs. Anyone had any experience up there?

Look forward to your replies.

Thanx in advance.

John
    Have a Gunmetal Grey NS V6 Exceed. Already raised with lovells, Poly airs, Colour coded ARB bullbar, Sidewinder Dual Batteries, WAECO CF50.... Just moved to Perth, wife and 2 girls and a bloody big boy dog.

Build Racing bikes in my spare time - check out the link: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f120/

Howdi John.
    I'm just across the highway from you at Metford. Small world. Keep an eye out for my Gunmetal DID NS and give me a wave if you see me at Greenhills etc.
    Regards

Comment

Hey,
      Have seen one driving around, you never know. My truck is a white/silver NP exceed. There a a few around, but mine is raised.

Do much camping around the area? Getting the camper trailer in a few weeks, can't wait, so trying to plan a trip soon.

Doing Watagens tomorrow,

Hope to see you around.

Now here's an idea, wouldn't it be good to get a forum sticker made up for us to chuck on the trucks......

John
      Have a Gunmetal Grey NS V6 Exceed. Already raised with lovells, Poly airs, Colour coded ARB bullbar, Sidewinder Dual Batteries, WAECO CF50.... Just moved to Perth, wife and 2 girls and a bloody big boy dog.

Build Racing bikes in my spare time - check out the link: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f120/

Comment

Hi John,

The only place I am familiary with north of Newcastle is Coffs. There are some great tracks north of Coffs just of the highway. I recal one called the Rover trail. Quite steep, rutted with culverts and a loose surface. Your lifted DID will have not trouble climbing it, I did it in my standard Petrol NP with road tyres! But not the sort of trail for a beginner or a soft roader.

Cheers
        Pajero MY05 Exceed, DVD / (infamous) Sat Nav, Petrol / Injected LPG, alloy bull bar, Blue Tongue compressor, Pirahna dual battery system, Cibie Oscar SC driving lights, UHF, Next G car kit, Waeco FF40, set Cooper ST's, cargo barrier and polyairs.

Comment

Hey John,
          Looks like you had some fun in the snow up near Polblue the other week.
          As you live only in the next suberb to me, I thought I would post a couple of shots to see if you have seen me around. See attachments. I have definately seen your Paj as it looked a lot like mine until I changed mine a month ago.
          My NP Exceed was pearl white with 70mm lift Tough Dog, Polyairs, Rear cargo unit and fridge (Kearsley Kitchens custom), Dual batteries both AGM, Cooper 265 75 ATR 10 LT, Nudge, UHF, Long Ranger tank.
          Just in the process of changing it all over to the NS.
          Today I checked out the tracks between Samurai and Boulder Bay at Anna Bay - great day. Hope to get a chance to have a chat.
          Attached Files

Comment

Macca,

I do remember seeing yours around, the reason why it stood out was the pearl paint, something my wife and I really liked.

Anna bay hey, well you gotta watch the samurai beach as it's a nudest beach. We've been there once, not an impression I want to put onto my 10 and 12 year old girls minds, enough said.

Looking to do more of a lift soon, might be an issue to get the truck in the garage, so will see how it goes. If you have anything left over from your truck, just drop me a line. Will be doing more to the truck in the future, but having just spent over $7000 on a camper trailer, that has been put on hold for a while.

We went to the watagans today. Had heaps of fun, a little low range work but nothing too tough, especially without a winch. Would rather do the heavy stuff using the RAAF's trucks. Also, have the rough stuff gauge riding next to me. It's like, a steep rocky track comes up, the wife goes "you want to go where in what with who!!!!!!!!!", at this stage I do a 10 point turn and head in the opposite direction. All jokes asaide, would rather the 'go to work truck', gets me to work afterwards.

Anyways, if you wanna do some trecks, drop me a line. Will pm you our e-mail address.

Take care.

John

Comment

Have you looked at the Stix River area between Kempsey and Dorrigo or up near Bellangen(sp)? There are some nice areas around Wauchoppe too.

(I don't have a Mitsubishi yet, but I'm in Ashtonfield )

Comment

Hi John
                Have you thought of the werrikembe wilderness. Starts about 40 ks north of Gloucester and runs through an old gold mining area ends up at Kempsey. 3-4 days trip depending on side trips, water crossings, 4wd only, rated medium and there are some campsites with pit toilets along the way.

Comment

Thanx for the treks fellas. It looks like the Kempsey area is the way to go, gonna have to get some better maps.....

Hoyks, hope you get your Mitsy soon, check out my Paj in the rig section, you may have seen me about.

thanx all.

John.

Comment

Originally posted by Fabacat View Post
                    Hi John
                    Have you thought of the werrikembe wilderness. Starts about 40 ks north of Gloucester and runs through an old gold mining area ends up at Kempsey. 3-4 days trip depending on side trips, water crossings, 4wd only, rated medium and there are some campsites with pit toilets along the way.
                    Do you reckon you could get a camper trailer through this area? Do you have more details on this trip. It looks pretty good to us. Do you know if it gets pretty busy up there, we're trying to get away from the crowds etc.

Comment

John
                      Werrikembe used to be an old logging forest so smaller trailers should not be a problem. I would definietly ring the Forestry Office at taree (065)51 00 74 and the Nation parks office at Port Macquarrie (065 84 22 03) before you go. If wet the tracks become very hard and some almost impassable. Discover Australia by 4WD by Ron & Viv Moon has details of the trip. As for crowds, they don't call it a wilderness for nothing. Get plenty of info, plan for 4-5 days and have a blast.
                      Noel

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X