Ad below navbar

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using TC, or rear diff lock, or both together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by erad View Post

If you have the rear diff lock engaged and you get to the point where you lose traction on a rear wheel, all the power will go to the other rear wheel. My reading of this is that the Traction Control will not see either rear wheels as locking up. Now, if you lose traction on a front wheel and have the read diff lock engaged, then the traction control will sense this and lock up the spinning wheel, so at least you should have 3 wheel drive. The only time I can foresee problems is if both front wheels are slipping, but if the centre diff is locked at this stage, the front wheels should try to spin at the same speed as the rears. Is a puzzlement...
    I'm not quite sure if I've read you correctly. To summarise my understanding:

With rear diff lock engaged, centre diff lock engaged and TC on front wheels activated (requires Vladguan's mod):

1. Both rear wheels on ground and no slippage; one front wheel grounded, one in air: TC won't operate as the the grounded front wheel will be rotating as fast as the rears so the other front wheel will also, but because one wheel is in the air, there'll be no driving from front wheels => 2 wheel drive
    2. Both rear wheels on ground, both slipping, one front wheel grounded not slipping, one in air: The grounded front wheel will want to rotate slower than the one in the air, so TC will operate => 3 wheel drive.
    3. One rear wheel on ground not slipping, one in air, one front wheel on ground, one in air: Similar to 1. except only 1 wheel drive.
    4. One rear wheel on ground, slipping, one in air, one front wheel on ground, one in air: Similar to 2. except only 2 wheel drive.

However, for rear diff lock not engaged, centre diff lock engaged and TC on front wheels activated (standard arrangement):
    1. Same as 1. above
    2. Same as 2 above
    3. Scenario 3.and 4. above are effectively the same but both 2 wheel drive.

Thus for me, I wondered why bother with a rear diff lock if the TC works effectively? It seems to me if you are going up a slope and everything is slipping but not necessarily any wheel ungrounded, having the rear wheels locked means there's no reactive lag with TC. Further, for any slipping wheel which activates the TC, part of the braking action of TC on that wheel is also transmitted to the the other wheels, (not its axle companion), because the centre diff is locked, which is why if you feel the TC come on, a little more right foot is required to overcome the braking effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Mundy55 View Post

With rear diff lock engaged, centre diff lock engaged and TC on front wheels activated (requires Vladguan's mod):
      Another mob has popped up now selling this mod, i've been waiting on Vlads since July 2020.
      Vlads mod is almost null & void ?

I have no idea whom this mob are , contact details sketchy

https://www.cronos4x4.com/

Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X