Road Noise / Quietest HT Tyre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Noise / Quietest HT Tyre

Cabin noise at highway speeds in my MY16 NX is driving me absolutely insane. Engine/Wind Noise aside, if I can reduce tyre noise, especially on coarse bitumen I may stop myself from wanting to drive the thing directly to a Toyota dealer after a day on the highway.

The current Cooper AT3LT are around 25.000km old and have been rotated regularly. While it would be convenient to run just one set of tyres I do have a spare set of 17” alloys sitting in the shed and am thinking of fitting a set of HTs for highway use.

As an aside, the TJM Suspension is also quite stiff, which I feel may be a contributing factor to noise transmission to the body, exacerbating the issue. It’s fitted with 770FRHD52P Front Springs, and 770RRHD52P Rears.

Performance on corrugations or little short sharp bumps in the road is average at best. The front I would consider to feel over sprung, and while the TJM application guide suggests this is the correct fitment for a steel bullbar, it also states LBA 60kg+, more suited to a heavier aftermarket bar and accessories than a plain factory steel bar.

The heavier LT/AT will stay for towing/camping etc, but I think a passenger construction HT may suit for the highway, and without the stiffer sidewall may make up for some of the other shortcomings.

Does anyone have any insight into the quietest option for HT tyres in 265/55/17?

'16 NX GLX5

MM Bullbar, DRL/Fog Retrofit, Safari Snorkel, TJM HD Suspension, Rhino Rack Cross Bars, GME UHF, LRA 81L Aux Fuel Tank, Lightforce 170 Lights, Dr Air ProFlow Compressor, 23 Zero Awning, Companion 45L Fridge Half a tank of Diesel.

Tyre wise you could look at something like the Hankook HP2 or the Cooper SRX they are very much a highway tyre design I am sure there are other brands out there also. Just make sure the load index is the same or higher than that specified on the tyre placard.
    https://www.hankooktire.com/au/passe...-hp2-ra33.html
    https://www.coopertires.com.au/our-range/4x4-tyres/srx

You really need to be doing about 15,000km a year on each set of tyres for it to be cost effective to run 2 sets of tyres.

You have typo in your tyre size I think, factory size is 265/65R17.

In regards to the suspension, ride hardness gets down to spring rates and strut/shocker valving so unless you change your suspension there is not a lot you can do.
    Are your rear oil lower insulators in good condition?
    Is there a rubber insulator between the bottom of the front coils and the strut coil perch?
    You can expect noise to slightly increase when you have stiffer coils, and struts/shockers and their mounts because of the change in the way the vibrations are transmitted, it may not even be noisier but if the frequency has changed it could sound noisier.
    Changing the vehicle ride height also effects the way the air travels under the vehicle so this may also influence the noise.
    But I suspect apart from the tyres the Rhino Roof Bars could be also contributing, have you tried removing these?
    If you are willing to strip out the seats, carpets, rear quarter, door trims, etc and fit extra sound deadening material like Dynamat and this will make a big difference.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

I recently put Cooper AT3LT (265/65R18) tyres on my MY16NX and, so far, I have been very pleased with the relatively low noise in cabin. I previously ran BFGKO2s from new, which I changed over at 105k km, despite there being another 10k in them. They became very noisy over the last 10k km. To date I've only done 3500km on the AT3s but they have been much much quieter. I do a 5 tyre rotation every 5k, don't run with high tyre pressure unless towing, run in 4H all the time and have Dobinson springs and shocks. I expect that as the tyres approach the latter quarter of their lives at, say, 5 years old, the hardening compound and smaller tyre blocks will again see noise increase but, hopefully, not as badly as the KO2s.

Country Cruiser, it seems to me you could have done worse in your tyre choice. However, if you want an AT or MT tyre which is LT, they aren't going to be as quiet as a benign road tyre. Current solutions? Turn up the music or wear ear plugs.

Comment

Better all round to put a heap of sound deadening in all the doors etc. Would be the best few hundred dollars you’ll spend. My NW I don’t recall being that bad but it’s way quieter now. I still need to do the rear around the wheel arches, very noisy in the wet still.
        2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
        MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights.

Comment

The noise that pisses me is the wind noise over about 85k's per hour, yet to work out the villain!
          Stock car., it bugs me, i live with it.

One thought, what is the date stamp on your tyres? Can't be that old i imagine, so shouldn't be a problem, unless 5 year old when you brought them of course?

Tyre noise is all good out of my ears is fine, but i do listen to music i guess

Tyres though is interesting, i guess it depends on your tolerance levels & it just goes to show & opinion of noise is different for everyone.

I have NX MY16, it came fitted with in good condition, not real old set of Dueler 697 agressive low profile 265/60R18 road tyres basically, yeah i know there LT AT's.
          Rubber is in good condition.

But looking at them i fail to see how they would be a quite tyre, they don't bother me, maybe its because there only a light construction, bit above highway?

https://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres...rimdiameter=18

There almost a "Claytons" version of these as far as pattern on the road surface, these would weigh fair bit more don't get me wrong, these i'm sure are not known for being quite, but would they bother me rotated regular, probably not

Sounds like they would drive you round the twist though

https://www.coopertires.com.au/our-r...4-tyres/stmaxx

I've seen people & yourself say these are bad, real noisey, yet Mundy finds them quite good.

https://www.coopertires.com.au/our-r...x4-tyres/at3lt

This tyre comes in same construction as the Dueler 697's or light highway construction which might be quieter

https://www.coopertires.com.au/our-range/4x4-tyres/srx

My suggestion is download Spotify, make yourself a playlist & turn your apple car play up
          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16

Comment

My BFG's have just clocked over 20k and I'm sure they are a lot noisier than when they were new. Wind in the Rhino tray doesn't help either and I the last suspension change has lifted the rear more than the front so it may be a little nose down. That could effect the harmonics maybe ?
            2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.

Comment

Hey, I owned box-style Land Rovers before these Pajeros: a car you can talk with the other occupants is quiet. I am not joking when I say I used to keep ear protectors in one, useful any time you travelled over 60km/hr, and many times you didn't.

Any HT tyre should be fine. They are all built for quiet water-shedding on smooth hard roads. But anything with off-road tread ups the noise, the larger the tread the louder the noise. And you don't need strong sidewalls on-road so with softer, lighter tyres you will have less chop in the ride. Remember, these will also be fine on sand, where coarse tread is no advantage.

I can't help with the suspension, sorry. Others may be able to. I would think the shock absorbers would be worth considering. You may prefer less damping.
              =-( Sadly bought back: 99 NL Shortie. In a-peeling blue
              =-) Happily replaced by: 98 NL LWB Diesel

Comment

Back in 2012 I was working on a project outside Port Hedland. Project vehicles were mainly 120 Prados, NW Pajeros and 75 Series utes.

Driving from site into town, mainly 80km/h bitumen, the Prados were significantly quieter than the Pajeros - unmistakable. Swapping back & forwards, I believe the Prado's Lexus heritage is unmistakable. Both models were mine-spec from a local hire company, running the same HTs - we destroyed a few.

In the 75 Series utes, particularly the 8 cylinder versions, I would be in 6th gear by 60km/h, and looking to change up again - they sounded so busy!
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Has anyone used these Continentals (AX6) they look like a quiet highway tyre, simillar the the Pirelli ATR.
                  Available in 265/65/17(112H) & 265/60/18 (114H)

Comment

Originally posted by Scrambler View Post
                    Hey, I owned box-style Land Rovers before these Pajeros: a car you can talk with the other occupants is quiet. I am not joking when I say I used to keep ear protectors in one, useful any time you travelled over 60km/hr, and many times you didn't.
                    Pretty much my background lol, it was years & years ago, but the heat from the old Cruiser gearboxes & the rattle of the transfer case stick, never mattered which tyre as you had to yell at the passenger anyhow over the rattles

Anyhow as NJSWB has stated, Prado will be quieter, if it's driving you nuts, buy a Prado, should be rubber iso-mounted Cab on Chassis.

Pajero is Monocoque, although it doesn't seem to be a problem for myself or wife & my wives daily is 2017 Mazda 3 Astina, with low k's.

There is road noise for sure, just not a bother for me, kids rather Pajero than Mazda, wife doesn't complain

Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16

Comment

Thanks All for the responses! Certainly plenty of food for thought.

Given the experience I now have with the Pajero, I quite possibly should have purchased a Prado, however, there are a number of reasons I didn’t at the time and bar the NVH differences I prefer the Paj in many ways.

Mundy, I remember these current AT3 feeling refreshingly quiet when new. I’ve followed a 4 tyre diagonal rotation roughly every 5000km and seem to have landed in the 36-38 psi vicinity on the highway.

They are the current updated model AT3 LT and replaced a set of the previous iteration. As an aside, three of that set had suffered from flow cracking on the sidewalls. When I had it checked out at a tyre place Cooper said it was cosmetic and not a structural/safety problem but then offered me 75% off if I replaced them. They were maybe 50% worn so slightly better than pro rata I suppose. They were on the car when I purchased it at 34,000 km so definitely cannot complain about their service.

OJ, I have thought of the Cooper SRX, also Dueler in HT form after reading here of them being quiet, even Continental. Of course they’re all a bit of a gamble.

I should update my signature, I’ve since swapped the Rhino Vortex Bars for a Pioneer Platform. To date, I haven’t been concerned by any additional wind noise but when I have some time (rarely). I should try taking it off and doing some back to back testing for science sake.

Wind wise, more noticeable to me is the noise from around the snorkel and weather shield on the drivers door.

After COVID-19 decimated the industry I had been working in for 24 years literally overnight, I have spent a lot of time since behind the wheel of Kenworths with many wind noise inducing bits hanging off them. Generally speaking it doesn’t bother me, it’s the continuous drone in the Paj that gets me. I also find poorly executed exhaust systems on the highway horrible!! At least Pajero wind and engine noise comes and goes.

Re Suspension it’s also a bit of a work in progress. I’ve had some annoying suspension like rattle/knock noises I’ve been trying to track down for a while now that present themselves at low speed on gravel driveways/yards etc. Very annoying and yet to be located!

Do you by chance have any info on spring rates for the TJM suspension offering?

'16 NX GLX5

MM Bullbar, DRL/Fog Retrofit, Safari Snorkel, TJM HD Suspension, Rhino Rack Cross Bars, GME UHF, LRA 81L Aux Fuel Tank, Lightforce 170 Lights, Dr Air ProFlow Compressor, 23 Zero Awning, Companion 45L Fridge Half a tank of Diesel.

Comment

Sorry CC, I only have spring specifications for factory, Kings, OME, Lovells and Dobinson, most rear suspension but some front also.

OJ.
                        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

I have also been annoyed with the NVH of the NX and it’s worse as my BFG KO2 wear. Now done 70k and tyre noise is unreal and infiltrates the cabin. Tyres will do another 30k so decided to try and address the problem. I attacked the wheel arches first by brushing on SCA sound deadener to the arches. What a difference. Could not believe how much difference that made. Much quieter.
                          Also put some deadener on the inner side of the plastic splash guards.
                          Next step I’m stripping down the interior and adding Car Builders sound deadner / acoustic mat (similar but cheaper to Dynamat with good reviews) to the rear wheel arches and floor . Will post results in due course but first easy and cost effective solution would be to apply deadener to the wheel arches.

Comment

FWIW, I've just been through the noise insulation thing in our NT. I've only done the rear cargo area so not the whole Paj yet so bear that in mind.
                            After much googling and youtubing I decided to use the auto underlay offered by Clark Rubber. I went this way as I was still on the fence if there would be any real significant improvement and I didn't want to drop a fair wad of cash on the car builders stuff and be disappointed.
                            To date I've lined the rear seat tub/underfloor storage (under the plastic liner), the rear wheel arches, a little bit here and there on the side panels and as much as I can on the lower interior trim pieces. I've also made up a piece for under the rear most piece of carpet but haven't fitted it yet as I'm still deciding if I want to remove the factory insulation or keep it.
                            With all that I've done, the road noise it a shed load less, significantly so. Me and the mrs can have a normal convo while driving at 100kph along what was previously a pretty noisy road due to the surface.
                            I think the biggest improvement came from the 3rd row seat tub/underfloor storage and wheel arches so with the good reviews etc of the car builders stuff, I reckon if you do at least those areas you'll get a significant reduction in road noise.
                            2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                            2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

Thanks Dhula, I've removed the rear seats in my NT, putting in a 95lt water bladder and fridge/drawer unit. Want to sound deaden the back area while I've got everything out so this is good info!
                              2009 NT VRX DiD Auto

Mods: Smartbar, UHF TX 3340, Kenwood 7340 Nav, Milford Barrier, HR Towbar, Wind Cheater rack, Bilstein & Lovell 2inch lift + Polyairs, BushSkinz Rocksliders and Full Bashplates, Dual Battery System, Billet Racing Quad Breather Kit, Engine Guardian Temperature Alert, Bridgestone D694 AT's, Orange TPMS

Nice rack that!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X