Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brands of suspension for a SWB

Hi All,

Have seen a few comments around shocks that are fine on a LWB valved too hard for a SWB (NS). Is there a list of brands anywhere that are suitable? Tried searching with no luck...

I am also looking for cheap lift kits, any suggestion in mind?
    Last edited by Shawnto; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Cee View Post
      Hi All,

Have seen a few comments around shocks that are fine on a LWB valved too hard for a SWB (NS). Is there a list of brands anywhere that are suitable? Tried searching with no luck...
      What exactly are you looking to do? will it be 90% daily use as then it wont really matter the valving.
      07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Currently rolling around Africa

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/

Comment

Originally posted by cruisn06 View Post
        will it be 90% daily use as then it wont really matter the valving.
        To all intents and purposes - yes. Theoretically - valving is a critical, and you'll never be happy until the valving is perfect.

If you subscribe to the theory, you'll never be happy - so we'll wish you luck.

Speaking more broadly, you're talking about a mass - spring - damper system. The Shorty has a lower mass over the rear wheels, and needs a spring - damper combination to suit.

If the Shorty is lightly loaded, good luck. This will be a section of the market that very few (no?) suppliers will have adequately addressed.

If the Shorty is more heavily loaded, then some standard suspension from a LWB might be suitable - it's likely to provide a lift, but a well designed combo should also provide decent control.

So, to the OP - what exactly are you looking to do? How much weight to you need to carry / control?
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Originally posted by nj swb View Post

To all intents and purposes - yes. Theoretically - valving is a critical, and you'll never be happy until the valving is perfect.

If you subscribe to the theory, you'll never be happy - so we'll wish you luck.

Speaking more broadly, you're talking about a mass - spring - damper system. The Shorty has a lower mass over the rear wheels, and needs a spring - damper combination to suit.

If the Shorty is lightly loaded, good luck. This will be a section of the market that very few (no?) suppliers will have adequately addressed.

If the Shorty is more heavily loaded, then some standard suspension from a LWB might be suitable - it's likely to provide a lift, but a well designed combo should also provide decent control.

So, to the OP - what exactly are you looking to do? How much weight to you need to carry / control?
          True, I will add though, with the springs if the shorty lift springs sag or basically are to light, because of the shorty design you will need to move to some heavy LWB springs. The weight is distributed so poorly, all over or behind the axle. so stock lwb on the light 100kg load springs will be of no help.

I matched my rear springs with tough dog 41mm foam cells. I have a soft spot for them since I am offroad most of the time and the valving under a full load is spot on which provided a nice smooth drive over the whoops.

The fronts I used the dobinsons springs and dobinsons struts, the ride is okay. although on some bumps I get the double bounce (80kmh+ and a decent bump/tiny smooth washout), our van at work we put a lift in with the same stuff did the same to so I have no idea on the valving but its close enough I never have an issue.

Just some food for though for the OP to consider, suspension shocks still alive after Australian outback, African roads and now currently Turkish mountain passes.
          07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Currently rolling around Africa

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/

Comment

Thanks all. Oztec in Brisbane have done a lot of testing with shorties and fixed me up with a set up which is as comfortable as stock. Very happy.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X