Seasons Greetings to all forum members

Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tyre Dealers - Do you trust their advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post

I wouldn't buy them

But that's because i want a tougher sidewall & I don't think they too tough.
    Fair enough.

I am on my second set of the same tyres and i find they work well for my usage which is predominantly road use, and then mainly beach and some trails (which most consider easy). I use the LT rated ATs and never had any punctures or sidewall damage in the last 6 years i have had them (Second set). Arguably most here do a whole lot more aggressive 4WDing than i do, so i understand why requirements are different. No rock climbing for me, so lesser chance of damage in my case.

Bridgestone Select also offer a free 6 month wheel rotation and tyre check which works for me, as they are conveniently close to my workplace as well. Been going to the same place for the last 6 years, so they know my car too and service levels have been good in my experience.

My only reason at the moment to keep my eyes open are because i wanted to see if there were more quieter options available, as i find the NVH levels on my car (2010 NT) is not as good as it used to be, and in addition to other factors, i would think tyre noise plays a large part too.

Mitsubishi Pajero NT Platinum 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
      Interesting the different tread depths offered on Falken tyres.

Personally i'm leaning towards these in 265/70R17's, i've got 7 x rims for the job, when the time comes

14mm tread depth, heavy tyre, don't hear much bad press about them either, full depth sipes & grooves apparently.

https://www.falken.com.au/product/wildpeak-at3w/
      I'm extremely happy with my Wildpeaks but wish I had have thought more about the consequences of PXL construction (only option in 265.65r18) for my intended use (primarily outback touring) at the time but like you have acquired some factory 17" for some LT tyres. Probably only considering either Falken AT3w or Maxxis AT811 given families experiences so far with both.

Sons Maxxis do seem to be wearing quicker than my Falkens but his ute is heavy and he tows a 2500kg scissor lift many times a week.

The Maxxis MT on his Pajero dont seem any worse than other MT's with regards wear however.
      MY15 NX Exceed, Auto Mate PRO, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries, Redarc BCDC, MM tow hitch, Teshonka brake controller, Provent catch can, GME 3350 UHF, Boo's bash set, Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/65R18, TPMS, Dobinson/Kings HD 45mm lift, Rhino bars, Drifta 270 awning, spare tyre lift, Ultraguage MX 1.4, TC mod, auxiliary PWR 23 row transmission cooler and radiator cooler bypass, KAON barrier, MM nudgebar, Fyrlyt Luxsis 5000. Stockman allroada pod trailer with ARB Simpson 3 RTT.

Comment

Originally posted by bennyb29 View Post

Fair enough.

I am on my second set of the same tyres and i find they work well for my usage which is predominantly road use, and then mainly beach and some trails (which most consider easy). I use the LT rated ATs and never had any punctures or sidewall damage in the last 6 years i have had them (Second set). Arguably most here do a whole lot more aggressive 4WDing than i do, so i understand why requirements are different.
        I find them fine on road/ dirt & they went quite well on beach.

On the beach 265/60R18's @ 16PSI they worked well & i mucked around on beaches with pressures as i do worry about rims & tree roots on island tracks.

16psi soon became 20psi when i stopped & checked pressures when in use.

A stiffer sidewall probably need 14psi or even 12psi to work the same just theory

Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Originally posted by redbruce View Post

I'm extremely happy with my Wildpeaks but wish I had have thought more about the consequences of PXL construction (only option in 265.65r18) for my intended use (primarily outback touring) at the time but like you have acquired some factory 17" for some LT tyres.
          Thanks for feedback, appreciated, maybe you can help me with the below?

Where do they measure diameter?

Just by specs

265/65R18 114T Rolling circumferance, 2385mm, Diameter 801mm

Has similar rolling circumferance as

265/65R17's Rolling circumferance 2353mm, Diameter 776mm

Then this tyre

265/70R17's Rolling Circumferance 2463mm Diameter 810mm

To me the 265/65R18 & 265/65R17 would achieve similar heights although differing diameters from ground if they roll similar distances???

I understand One has 13.5mm rubber & one has 10.3mm Rubber which must be part of the reason ?

The 265/65R17 sits bewteen 265/60R18 & 265/65R18 as far as rolling distances.

Falken 265/60R18, Rolling Circ 2320mm Diameter 776mm

265/70R17 is quite large Rolling circ 2463mm?

Last edited by Jasonmc73; 1 week ago.
          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Below is info from the Falken USA website in regard to the Wildpeak AT3W as you can see these tyres are available in light duty passenger construction SL (standard load) 4 ply rating and also in heavy duty Light Truck LT construction 10 ply rating.
            Note the difference in approved rim sizes, overall diameter, tread depth and tyre weight between the light duty passenger construction tyre and the heavy duty light truck tyre.

When manufacturers use the same branding on 2 completely different tyres you can easily see why you could get mixed reviews if the wrong tyre was used.

OJ.
            Tire Size Load
            ID
            Ply
            Rating
            Service
            Desc.
            Approved
            Rim Width
            (in)
            Measuring
            Rim
            (in)
            Overall
            Diameter
            (in)
            Overall
            Width
            (in)
            Revs
            Per
            Mile
            Tread
            Depth
            (/32in)
            Tire
            Weight
            (lbs)
            Max Load
            Single / Dual
            (lbs)
            Max
            Pressure
            (psi cold
            265/70R17 SL 4 115T 7.0 - 9.0 8.0 31.7 10.8 668 13 46.5 2679 51
            LT265/70R17 E 10 121/118S 7.0 - 8.5 8.0 31.9 10.7 653 17 52.9 3195 / 2910 80
            265/65R18 SL 4 114T 7.5 - 9.5 8.0 31.5 10.6 675 13 46.1 2601 51
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

I ran coopers AT's for many years driving to and from the NT & on the beaches down here in SA and was always happy with their performance both on and off the black top, my local tyre independent won't sell Mickeys as they are just a jacked up price gouge on the identical Coopers he reckons, he's sponsored by Micky's on his enduro car so figure that out...

Just another opinion, his tyre fitter I've known for over ten years says buy what you can afford, they're all very much the same these days & the local Beaurepairs pushes their biggest profit tyre, usually Wranglers or BFG's which most of the young ones run on their jacked up cruisers, the bigger the better they say so they don't need to air down while they tear the track to pieces.

Personally wouldn't touch duellers with a barge pole, they came as factory fit on my Ssangyong & the pi$$in Ni$$san D22 and neither lasted more than 50,000k's mostly highway, they were just too soft.. in comparison I've got an average of 80 - 90,000 out of a set of the last three sets of Coopers ATII's all of which have proven pretty resilient both on the highway in 40 odd degree heat and on the beaches aired down to 15psi, the NX came with a set of Coopers 265/65/18's and a road tyre that is dated 2014 on the spare so will be doing all 5 this time round. Have always found the coopers to be fairly puncture resistant too while easy enough to fix with a plug on the side of the road when needed.

Again that's my personal opinion, but value for my hard earned $$$ is my aim this time around so will likely be looking at around the $280 but no more then $350 a piece fitted & balanced if possible, still got a few thousand left on the shoes fitted now so I have time to shop around, Tyroola is offering some pretty good prices at present.

Cheers
              Grumpmiester
              All the gear and some idea.....
              MY15 NX GLX, AutoMate Pro, UltraGauge Mx1.4, Kaon Itercooler & sump bashplates, Boos Rear bumper plate, KAON cargo barrier & shelf, Munji EGR delete cable, Provent catch can, Redarc BCDC 2020, 105a/Hr AGM 2nd battery, Snapshades (rear doors) ........
              Leave only footsteps & take only photographs

Leave the tracks & camps in better condition then you found them

Comment

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

When manufacturers use the same branding on 2 completely different tyres you can easily see why you could get mixed reviews if the wrong tyre was used.

OJ.
                Yes i sure can, I get it construction difference,

Compared to std wheel equipment, passenger tyre which would be around 775mmish

I thought a 265/65R18 & a 265/70R17 would be the same diameter or close enough regardless of construction.

9mm difference on Falkens website
                Passenger 265/65R18 is 25mmish up Diameter
                LT 265/70R17 is 34mmish Up diameter

The StMaxx & The Falken LT are a big tyre, albeit one size up in theory.

Comment

Seems like the Cooper ATT's have won by a neck for me, going to have a set fitted this arvo. My Paj is 90% daily driver in freeways, 8% tow tug for the boat on wekends, and 2% off road - and by offroad I mean nothing that could possibly bend or brake the Paj. So after running the numbers the Cooper ATT's and the Toyo AT2's looked like meeting my needs with the Cooper having the edge with the higher weight rating (110 vs 114), and the 60K warranty. The Falken Wildtrack was a little too aggressive and a fair bit heavier, as well as nearly $60 per tyre more and not as road based as I need. The Coopers seem to have a slightly less aggressive / more road based tread that should help it on the black top, but enough to help me through the rougher terrain.

PS MyCar.com.au has a 50% off Pirellis for Black Friday Sales, but must be ordered/paid for on Friday the 26th and fitted before end Jan 22. The savings for me mean I need to wait too long for new rubber so I am going to pass...

Comment

Originally posted by Mark RSA2AU View Post
                    Seems like the Cooper ATT's have won by a neck for me, going to have a set fitted this arvo. My Paj is 90% daily driver in freeways, 8% tow tug for the boat on wekends, and 2% off road - and by offroad I mean nothing that could possibly bend or brake the Paj. .
                    Sounds to me like a solid choice for your intended use.

Hats off for matching the tyre to the need

Comment

Do I trust them?
                      I do trust them to perform quality work but I don't believe they will give me unbiased information. That they will push the brand which gives them the most profit.

Comment

Yes good on you OP for getting what you need rather than whatever else.

Maybe for reference if you ever require the wild peaks

I went with the Wildpeak LTs, 265-70-17. Maybe 4000 on them so not many Ks but to date I'm happy. Have found then great on gravel and corrugated surfaces, and stoney roads of golf ball size. Thought with all the rain around I'd try some emergency braking at 60. Been to scabby in the dry.

Typical lumpy bumpy shitty Tamborine Mtn Rd pooling water under trees with fairly course surface.

I see google suggest 25m to stop doing 60 in the dry. No idea of cars weigh or its braking system they used, just thought there is a rough starting block. I didn't have a measuring tape but I'm pretty good with distance as I've been estimating distance for quoting most my life.

I hit the marker and smashed the pedal to light up the ABS. It skid and grabbed then skid and grabbed again doing its thing but I pulled up well under 25m. I'm thinking 20.
                        I did the same again but with controlled strong braking on my behalf. I locked it up just as it stopped. But 23m by my crude efforts. Perhaps I could reduce that if I practice a bit?

Then the ol corner test,
                        There is a corner heading down the mountain's Nth side where as soon as it rains a car goes off. Its a given and often 1 a day during a rain event. First one down Wednesday, and another bloody Stat for post code 4272 vehicle insurance premiums to be what they are.

So empty car, H4, third gear on the roll at 60 around we go. The tyres hang on nicely with not one inch of slip. I was a bit tense though and ready to go into correction mode.

I guess all this is at legal speed, which one would hope tyres do what they are meant to. I'm driving legally but perhaps not to the conditions so found comfort in that I would usually drive slower.

If braking distance is reduced due to increased tyre size I have never noticed in the Pajero. Even when they first went on there was no obvious increase or difference in feel. This is quite the opposite to the 4 disc'd brake defender I cam from, increased braking was quite noticeable with larger tyres till one got accustomed to it.

As for these tyres they are an aggressive AT, but I have found are superior in every way compared to the original Dunlop ?20's which are a more highway suited AT. I'm glad you didn't go there.
                        Last edited by jaffles; 1 week ago.

Comment

Kaa-Pow!! and down 2 more go. This ones a bit more serious. A head on between a defender and a echo. Hard to say but the defender either drifted on the sweep out of the blind corner, or he was lazy and just crossed the double lines. Can't imaging you would cross the double lines with an approaching car unless you had no choice. His car was 3/4 on the wrong side of the road and the echo whats left of it was over the embankment.

Chatting to the fire lady killongtime in line she was saying she lost it around the same corner with new tyres, so went the local tyre shop up here and asked for tyres that can deal with the mountain. That shop sells Maxxis only. I can confess the wife's car got 75k from her set and I never heard any reports of the car sliding.

While I was talking to the fire lady some guy in a nissan twin cab towing an empty duel axel box trailer was on the cusp of loosing traction hard on the brakes. You could hear his tyres giving everything they had to pull up in time before rear ending the growing que of people waiting for the accident to be cleared. He did with about 1 foots grace.

So I guess the lesson lads is do you homework, buy the best you can afford, and buy for wet weather grip in the top one or two requirements.

Comment

Or don't drive like an idiot and only drive to the conditions not the sign posted limits

Comment

Originally posted by greybeard View Post
                              Or don't drive like an idiot and only drive to the conditions not the sign posted limits
                              I wish we could drive to the conditions and not the sign posted limits but with the number of speed "safety" cameras around make that an expensive exercise.
                              2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 BFG A/T, dual batteries, 35mm lift TJM suspension, to do list that is more expensive than the truck

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X