No announcement yet.

Suspension Help Please - Front is sitting too heigh and I also need new Struts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension Help Please - Front is sitting too heigh and I also need new Struts

Hello,

I was hoping to get some advice on the best option moving forward.

I currently have Lovell EHD springs at the front (recommended by Lovells due to the steel ARB bull bar, winch, bash plates and being a disel) this was fitted approxiamtely 2 years ago. The shocks are TJM gold shocks which now need to be replaced as they are leaking (they were on the vehicle when I bought it, age of them unknown). While changing out the struts I would also like to lower the front ride height.

Measured from the centre of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel arch is approximately 580mm L+R.

The weight of the front axel measured at my last service was 1228kg.

I'm unsure why the lift is so out of spec from what was recommended by Lovell's, could there have been an issue with installation that could attribute to the increased height or do the current shocks have anything to do with this? There doesn't appear to be a spacer but the rubber on the upper spring seat does seem quite thick. In terms of ride comfort my wife and I do not have any issues with harshness or shuddering and would otherwise be happy sticking with the EHD springs if the front sat lower.

I was thinking either fitting the dobinson IMS adjustable struts with the current EHD springs and adjusting the spring seat down (though I am unsure if there is enough downward adjustment to achieve the proper spec of 540mm).

Alternatively I could also change the spring if needed as well, Ideally I would like to stick with a Lovell spring so it matches the rear in which case dropping down to a HD spring, would this provide the appropriate lift given the front axel weight? If not, what spring would be the most recommended to achieve approximately 545/550mm (assuming it will settle down to 540mm).

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Hi Dreamimg,

The thick rubber pad under the top mount is normal.
    580mm front EBH is way too high, and illegal, I am surprised you are not getting unwanted activations of ABS, TC and ASC systems, 540mm to 545mm is s more sensible, safe and legal ride height.

Lovells make a CFR-90, CFR-90HD and CFR-90EHD, unfortunately I do not have the spring free lengths and spring rates on file so I cannot do a calculation of expected ride heights at 1228kg front axle weight. I only have data for King and OME coils for the front coils for Gen 3/4 Pajero.

Fitting Dobinson IMS struts is unlikely to solve your problem as there is a minimum lower spring seat height that must be used. You have no choice but to change coils or shorten the free length of the existing coil.

You do not say what your rear ride heights are, rear axle weights, rear coils part numbers or rear shocker details.

Apart from aesthetics, there is no reason why the front and rear coils and or struts/shockers need to be from the same supplier.

If you contact Lovells and get the spring rates and free lengths for all the Lovells coils then I can do some calculations for you.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
      Hi Dreamimg,

The thick rubber pad under the top mount is normal.
      580mm front EBH is way too high, and illegal, I am surprised you are not getting unwanted activations of ABS, TC and ASC systems, 540mm to 545mm is s more sensible, safe and legal ride height.

Lovells make a CFR-90, CFR-90HD and CFR-90EHD, unfortunately I do not have the spring free lengths and spring rates on file so I cannot do a calculation of expected ride heights at 1228kg front axle weight. I only have data for King and OME coils for the front coils for Gen 3/4 Pajero.

Fitting Dobinson IMS struts is unlikely to solve your problem as there is a minimum lower spring seat height that must be used. You have no choice but to change coils or shorten the free length of the existing coil.

You do not say what your rear ride heights are, rear axle weights, rear coils part numbers or rear shocker details.

Apart from aesthetics, there is no reason why the front and rear coils and or struts/shockers need to be from the same supplier.

If you contact Lovells and get the spring rates and free lengths for all the Lovells coils then I can do some calculations for you.

OJ.
      Hi OJ,

Thank you for the information,

The rear axle weight is 1296kg with Lovells HD spring and same TJM gold shock. Ride height for the rear is 555mm.

I may just request they include the recommended Dobinson spring with the install. Alternatively I may look into a cheaper strut now that I no longer need the adjustability since I would be changing the spring as well. May I ask what king spring you would most recommend for the front?

Comment

Originally posted by Dreaming View Post

Hi OJ,

Thank you for the information,

The rear axle weight is 1296kg with Lovells HD spring and same TJM gold shock. Ride height for the rear is 555mm.

I may just request they include the recommended Dobinson spring with the install. Alternatively I may look into a cheaper strut now that I no longer need the adjustability since I would be changing the spring as well. May I ask what king spring you would most recommend for the front?
        My front axle weight is 120 and EBH with Kings HD is 535mm.
        MY15 NX Exceed, Auto Mate PRO, Paddle shift, dual batteries, Redarc BCDC, MM tow hitch, Teshonka brake controller, Provent catch can, GME 3350 UHF, Boo's bash set, Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/65R18, TPMS, Dobinson/Kings HD 45mm lift, Rhino bars, Drifta 270 awning, spare tyre lift, Ultraguage MX 1.4, Vlad TC mod, auxiliary PWR 23 row transmission cooler and radiator bypass, KAON barrier, MM nudgebar. Stockman allroada pod trailer with Drifta Stockton RTT.

Comment

Originally posted by redbruce View Post

My front axle weight is 120 and EBH with Kings HD is 535mm.
          Missing a digit or very light steering, Redbruce?

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X