Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorway Retreads

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone had any experience (good, bad or other) with the Motorway retread 4wd tyres? Im a student on a budget and would like some 'play' tyres. I have some Cooper ST's for on road and lighter off road, but after having a few clearance issues I'm thinking i might get some 33" Motorway Mongrels (simex centipede rip offs)

The only concern i have is that they are Monoform retreads, has anyone heard anything about them?

Cheers,
    Greg
    1989 NG Turbo Diesel, ARB Bullbar, IPF 900XS Lights, 31" Cooper S/T or 33" Simex Centipedes , 2" lift front and 3" back

Hey I dont know anything about them but I am very interested to here feed back(im also a student). Hey how much are they btw?
    1993 NJ LWB: UHF, bull bar, 2" Iron man coils/T-bars, 30mm coil spacers, 35mm body lift, long travel RS5000s, Cranked T-bars, lokka, 35x12.5 GoodYear MTR, light force 170s, Duel battery with selectable volt meter, roof basket, 9.5" rear diff - more to come!

Comment

My mate has had the 32" ones on his paj for about a year no with no dramas execpt you cant drop the preasures below 20 to 22 psi.
      Performance wise they are not too bad and they are not as loud as my simexs driving on the road.

Simon

Comment

whats the deal with the preasure thing are retreads like that?
        1993 NJ LWB: UHF, bull bar, 2" Iron man coils/T-bars, 30mm coil spacers, 35mm body lift, long travel RS5000s, Cranked T-bars, lokka, 35x12.5 GoodYear MTR, light force 170s, Duel battery with selectable volt meter, roof basket, 9.5" rear diff - more to come!

Comment

He was told not to go too low because if you do the rubber of the re tread and the oringal tyre start to flex and move differently causing the retread to start peeling off the oringal tyre.

Simon

Comment

i have looked into a set of these recently 31x10.5x15 from widetread with rims for $760 the 33" are monoform witch they tell me that they are not retread but fully remolded hope this helps

Comment

I personally wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole unless they were explicitly used offroad, such as an offroad buggy.

Other bias and radial 'hardcore' 4x4 tyres are designed to be let down to low pressures to ensure maximum traction. The mongrels can't be let down to the same pressures without running the risk of delaminating the outer tread.

Driving with them onroad... well lets just say I'm prepared to spend a couple of hundred extra to ensure all 4 wheels are in contact with the road and I get home safely after driving on the highway.

Cheers,
              Jayden
              NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

AFAIK the company has gone bust/under a while ago.. but unless you are getting the Mongrels as a play set, i would say stay away even though they are cheap. My Paj came with the monoform all terains and it didn't take long for them to develop cracks all oven them. There are other cheap brands out there that would be a better option, such as Nankang, Kumho ETC.

<HIJACK>
                Does someone want to buy my Simexs?
                5 x 32x10.5r15 on Paj rims with heavy duty tubes $800?
                Still plenty of tread on them, 4 @ 80% / 1 @ 99.9% (Just worn off the (Mmm) nipples)
                </HIJACK>
                Last edited by m1s3ry; 11-11-07, 08:02 PM. Reason: Prosperity :)
                Steele Perkins (#1263)
                NP Pajero with added goodness..

Comment

I have to agree withall of the above comments .Ive not had mich experience with retreads on pajeros but on subarus and suzukis I have tried them and got rid of them very quickly.
                  There are cheaper alternatives in "real" tyres and their price versus retreads is bugger all really. We now run a set of Bob Janes Maxxis brand tyres on the suzuki and have so far been quite immpressed
                  .The price difference between these and a so called better retread we priced was nothing. The quality of ride ,handling and the ability to run deflated ,let alone the safety aspects,is far superior to the previous retreads let alone the working life of the tyre itself.

Comment

Ive been looking at a few of the cheaper mud tyres but none of them seem as aggressive as the mongrels. I already have Cooper S/T tyres on teh paj at the moment and these are my everyday tyres. I was just looking for something cheapish that will be good for when i know im going off road. Because of this, im not too fussed about tyre wear as they wont be used all that much. All i really want is a set of chunky tyres to take the paj places where the coopers cant.

Any ideas?
                    1989 NG Turbo Diesel, ARB Bullbar, IPF 900XS Lights, 31" Cooper S/T or 33" Simex Centipedes , 2" lift front and 3" back

Comment

Greg, the monoforms are better than the retreads, so if you go down that road, make sure you get monoforms. I had a set of muddies for a while & were quite good off road, but crap on the black stuff as they got out of 'round' very quickly. Know a few who run the mongrels & find them very good.

I would also have a look at what is around in the '2nd hand market'. Have a talk to Steele & try to crunch him on the price for the Simex..... Also if possible, do try to get 5 tyres instead of 4 as not good having to use a spare that is of a different size if you get a puncture etc.

Cheers
                      NL Pajero,F&R airlockers, reduction gears, Ironman susp, ARB bullbar, Tigerz winch, Uniden UHF, roolite driving lights, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib &, BFG KM2' tyres

MUD SUCKS.

Comment

Hahahah yeah, i Pm'd him about the simexs, they look good to me. With the 5 tyres, i may try and get 4 good ones and one cheapish second hand wheel for the spare just to get me out of trouble, thats what i have at the moment as i cant afford to have $400+ of tyre that i may not ever use.

The mongrels i was looking at were the 33" monoforms, so hopefully they'd give me more clearence and traction without costing me an arm and a leg.

Just rang Widetread in lilydale and the 33" mongrels aren't available at the moment as they have no casings to work with. As a rough price though, $230 a tyre. So probably around $300 a wheel with some 15 x 8 rims.

Cheers,
                        Greg
                        Last edited by Greg; 12-11-07, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X