Cactus Steering box...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cactus Steering box...

I've had the 'wanders' in my NK for some time now, but only realised just how bad it actually was this morning when I had to use it to get to work in Sydney from the Central Coast.

There is so much freeplay in the steering, that travelling along the freeway is almost scary, not to mention keeping it in one lane once hitting suburban hwy's (appologies to anyone I scared the %#*@ out of this morning )

I've checked the specs, and it allows 50mm freeplay which I'm sure there is.
    I've also tightened the steering box, but in order to remove any discernable freeplay, it merely tightens the box to the point of no return.....literally

I've also had a look at the box and with the missus turning the steering wheel from side to side within the limits of the freeplay, I can see the input shaft turning and nothing from the arms coming from the box, so I can only assume that the box is the main suspect here

Having 'assumed' this, I'm now looking at whether to undertake the task of replacement or repair myself or whether it's a job for the local mech

Q1 - Are these units easily enough to remove ?
    Q2 - Can they be overhauled, or is it better to exchanage ?
    Q3 - Anyone recomend a source for the Steering Box at a fair price ?

Input much appreciated.

Steve
    "Percussive Maintenance : The fine art of whacking the crap out of something to get it to work again"

Old post, sorry although Mr Gumble, did you ever fix your steering box, and did it fix the wandering at all?

Comment

If I remember correctly we were quoted $700 to have our box reco'd. Haven't done it yet, did a few things to the front suspension first, but a new box would surely make it better.

Comment

Originally posted by genebaby View Post
        If I remember correctly we were quoted $700 to have our box reco'd. Haven't done it yet, did a few things to the front suspension first, but a new box would surely make it better.
        I got quoted $330 for a exchange unit (fitting myself).

It doesnt seem too hard to remove the steering box so I think I'll have a stab at it and save myself a couple of hundred in labour costs.

Comment

I have no idea how to do something like that so all fitting is the only option. There is not a lot on here I read about that I think I could tackle.

Comment

Got the steering box out today, its not that hard. The hardest part was probably seperating the pitman arm from the relay rod. Now just to drop it in to be reconditioned.

Comment

Let us know how much ?
              "Percussive Maintenance : The fine art of whacking the crap out of something to get it to work again"

Comment

I got the box back today. It cost me $380 and was pciked up one afternoon and delivered back the next morning, great service.

Now I need to fit it in this weekend. The reconditioner said there was a bit of wear in the gearing although its expected for a car of this age. I'll hopefully fit it on this weekend along with a new pitman arm (if it arrives in the post!) and hopefully it helps my wandering issue Ive been having.

Comment

Keep us informed of how it goes.
                  Might look at doing the same myself

Comment

Got the front end all togehter today and took it down for a wheel alignment.

I ended up replacing the following items:

- reconditioned steering box
                    - new inner and outer tie rods
                    - new idler arm
                    - new pitman arm

The steering seems much tighter now and less prone to the "wandering". the car is not a chore to drive. Other items which I plan on replacing are the upper and lower ball joints and the shocks and springs.

The steering is never going to be as good as a rack and pinion steering rack and due to the number of tie rods, ball joints and arms, some "wandering" feel is always going to be present.

Comment

let us know about the ball joints, the labour we were going to be charged to do that was intense, due to the front suspension setup, how I wished it had springs!!!

Comment

Originally posted by genebaby View Post
                        let us know about the ball joints, the labour we were going to be charged to do that was intense, due to the front suspension setup, how I wished it had springs!!!
                        Do you have a NH? As far as I know, the upper ball joints are easy. The lower ball joints give a bit of trouble, although the Gregory's manual seems to make it out as easy to remove as the upper one.

Comment

Mine is an NG Superwagon. Releasing the front suspension to do the ball joints was said to be a bit of a job.

Comment

Hi is there a name for the place you got the steering box done as mine needs doing and I`m in Sydney

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X