Extra low ratio gears & sand driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra low ratio gears & sand driving

I have NL with extra low ratio gears in transfer case (from Marks Adaptors)
    I have not had them installed for very long and I'm after advise on driving on soft sand towing a camper trailer. Should I use low range or high range??? (Vehicle is auto)
    The gearing is so low that I wonder if I might be better attemping a long, soft sand, hill climb in high/first to gather momention, or is low/drive to go let the auto box do its thing.
    I'm new to sand driving so any advise will be great.
    Regards Loughma

After my experience on Fraser Island the best advice to prevent getting bogged was to drive the vehicle like you don't own it through the bad sections. This was generally in Low Range second gear.

Comment

Let all tyres down (including trailer) to about 14psi is a good start. I would use high range unlocked centre.
      --
      Marquis
      SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

Trial and error, you'll soon find out wat works best for you. For me i find low range to be the way to go, the less strain the better.

Comment

I work in a sand mine on North Stradbroke Island. We drive all the vehicles in high range centre locked. Tyres around 18 psi, as these vehicles also see the bitumen between mine sites.

We will let the tyres down lower if its a particularly nasty day (windy dry sand) and as I'm a surveyor in the exploration I have to sometimes use low range massaging the revs to get started in steep sections.

With the trailer I would recommend low range, not sure if Pajeros have a lockout of first gear like Toyota, but I would do this in your situation (extra low range gearing) The auto box loves sand, and as long as you are gentle on the start offs you will be fine.

Take notice to drop trailer pressures, have fun and don't wait until your bogged to drop your pressures, do it before you hit the beach.
          ML triton with some accessories
          National E Trek Libary
          Getting Out There

Comment

I have a 99 NL 3.5l - Sand driving in Fraser not pulling anything in High Range 4wd withut the centre diff locked using first and second. Easy . Tyre pressure 25psi. Locked the centre diff when the going got a bit softer. The petrol NL does it easy.

cheers

Comment

hi, just got back from fraser (well asked to leave due to weater conditions over xmas) and with my nl 3.5L standard gearing I use manly high 4 locked / tyres at 20psi even with my camper (850 loaded ). just use my auto manualy. I think momentum on sand is the key.

Comment

On sand anything above 16psi hot - you will be putting alot of extra strain on the vehicle for no good reason.

I too once drove at 20psi 18psi thinking speed and low range are the way to go - but it isn't.

I have driven stockton to the simpson - and have no problems driving on very soft sand in high unlocked centre with tyre pressure lower the better - try it you will be very surprised with the difference 20 to 18 to 16 to 14 to 12psi.

I found there is even a massive difference between 16 and 14psi - it does not sound like much but the ease of crossing soft sand is massive. (I am talking about hot pressures - sand heats tyres up quickly so you must check them after 5-15min and let them down again).

Example - running at 18psi low 4 centre locked - crossing simpson dunes the traction system would operate on most dunes I crossed and often a second attempt was required (small dunes on the french line western end). Dropped the pressure to 14psi high centre unlocked or low and the traction system never operated, even on the large QAA line dunes.

It's all about the amount of tyre surface area touching the ground - sand or mud.
                Last edited by marquis; 13-01-08, 09:59 PM.
                --
                Marquis
                SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X