Pirelli Scorpion ATR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pirelli Scorpion ATR

Has anyone had any experience with Pirelli Scorpion ATR's? I was thinking of getting them to replace my OE H/T's. 265/65/17.

They have a very good write up in 4wd monthly. See link

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/tips_tyres.php

Only problem is they don't come in LT construction in that size and I don't think I can go up to 265/70/17 in Victoria.

Any thoughts?
    -------------
    2002 100 Series to suit the growing family

SOLD: 2007 NS DiD SWB - great little car

Does anyone know where I can find information on the maximum increase in diameter from standard for Victoria? I've had a bit of a look through the VicRoads website but can't see anyting at this stage
    -------------
    2002 100 Series to suit the growing family

SOLD: 2007 NS DiD SWB - great little car

Comment

I've never owned a set but I've driven a hired pathfinder with them o/s. They had great grip (wet and dry but they didn't like snow), the vehicle was quiet and the handling was responsive. From reviews it seems that comes at the cost of a very short lifespan. If they were cheaper I would give them a go.
      Last edited by Eastie; 06-02-08, 01:10 PM.
      NS oil burner shorty

Comment

I work with a guy that has them on his Holden Rodeo, he's pretty happy with them, he's got no complaints.
        NJ LWB GLS with sunroof, 3.0, Dual fuel, custom built alloy bullbar, Hayman Reese tow bar, tinted windows

Comment

Re tyre sizes in Victoria - I bet I'm wrong but here I go - As long as they stay inside the guards and can still meet vic roads braking test minimum standards - everthing is sweet - until you consider your insurer.
          I changed over from 15 to 16" rims and 28 to 32" tyres - which I cleared with my car insurer before hand - they didnt have a problem with it (surprised me) and I have it recorded by them on my insurance paperwork. thier main concern was that the tyre met or exceeded the original speed and load rating (without sticking outside the guard)

If the real world is different - re Vic Roads - arggggggg - I dont want to know!!

See the following link to compare the size of different tyres
          http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit

Your option of the 265/70 17 is only 26mm bigger diameter than the OE which equates to a meesly 13mm in radius - or about the same difference between a brand new tyre and one thats due for replacement - Id be very surprised if it would cause any sort of problem - but dont take my word for it!!
          Lambie
          NJ 1996 ITD GLX (poverty pack) with a couple of extras, ARB bar, dual batteries plus redarc, Glind shower, some roo spotties, running 235 85 R16 AT's for the road and MT's for the tracks, tweeked torsion bars, Free wheeling front hubs, Poly airs and prodegy electric brakes for the camper, GME radio thingy, Long range tank, cargo barrier, have I really spent all this on my bus??

Comment

i have a full set of the pirelli scorpions 265 / 70 /16 and i must say they are a very very good tyre. my previous tyres were yokohama that are factory standard tyres and they did last me around 100 k,s but not the best in slippery stuff compared to the pirelli,s that seem to handle all conditions plus last the time of well over 100,000 k,s also there a cheaper price than those yokos.
            NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

got 2 on the back of my Paj. Havnt really given the car a proper drive but im quite happy with them- but am looking at upsizing due to some new 16" wheels in something like a Kumho or Bridgestone.

The scorpions have got some good writeups, i dont notice any real noise from them rolling along the road. One of mine did pick up a screw some time ago [have been away, was like that when i got home] but a plug fixed that.
              They do seem to wear faster than the STR's which are on my front though.

As for Vic tyre sizes, just call VicRoads... im having that same dilemma now whilst trying to upsize [along with the finances!]
              '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
              Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex86 View Post
                got 2 on the back of my Paj. Havnt really given the car a proper drive but im quite happy with them- but am looking at upsizing due to some new 16" wheels in something like a Kumho or Bridgestone.

The scorpions have got some good writeups, i dont notice any real noise from them rolling along the road. One of mine did pick up a screw some time ago [have been away, was like that when i got home] but a plug fixed that.
                They do seem to wear faster than the STR's which are on my front though.

As for Vic tyre sizes, just call VicRoads... im having that same dilemma now whilst trying to upsize [along with the finances!]
                Great set of tyres as i have had them on my paj 4 about 12 months they have performed absolutely fine and been to fraser 3 times ..i put 31's on as they were heaps cheaper than the metric equivalent .My mates always coment on how quiet they are compared to yokos and kumos and bridgestones.They wear perfectly flat front to rear and clocked up 40k and seem to of only lost 3 mm compared to spare which was new aswell..
                GLS MQ Triton 2016 5 Speed Auto , Canopy , Nudge Bar ,UHF , LED Spoties.

Comment

re the vic tyre size changes etc.

I rang vic roads yesterday and was told 25mm wider then the widest on your tyre placard and 50mm bigger diameter than the biggest on your tyre placard was all thats legal. After that apparently you need a VASS engineers certificate which lasts 3 months and no longer. I thought this was rubbish and quite possibly isn't true but thats what i was told.
                  1989 NG Turbo Diesel, ARB Bullbar, IPF 900XS Lights, 31" Cooper S/T or 33" Simex Centipedes , 2" lift front and 3" back

Comment

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...340/0/VSI8.pdf (Specifically Section 8)

In a nutshell, rims up to 25 mm wider OK, tyre diameter up to 15 mm greater OK - all over the widest/largest diameter specified by the manufacturer for your type of vehicle.

Beyond that it is an Engineer's exercise to get approval, my insurance company said (quote) if it satisfies VicRoads than it satisfies us without requiring specific insurance company approval (unquote). My guess is that there are an awful lot of vehicles with larger rims/tyres that don't comply with the regulations and could therefore be compromising the terms of their insurance.

Comment

The insurance company still has to prove that the larger tyres caused the accident (in the event you have one). If you take them to court you will win.
                      Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

Had them myself... never again... woeful tyre life... have yoko's now.. wearing well

Comment

I'm afraid I don't quite know what the point was of the post about insurance 'still has to prove the larger tyre was the cause of the accident'.

No they don't. You need to prove they didn't. Shouldn't be like that, but in reality is.

Do you really want to put yourself in the position of having to sue an insurance company to get your car replaced or repaired?
                          Would you have the time?
                          The money?
                          Wouldn't you want to have your car replaced/repaired as soon as possible?

I'd rather be fishing.
                          Cheers, John
                          Auto Electrician 35+ years
                          NM but with tricky electrical setups of course.
                          And that's the wank wank wank and more wank factor out of the way.

Comment

Bringing the topic back to the largest upsize you can go, its interesting to see that Greg has been told a different figure over the phone by Vicroads

"I rang vic roads yesterday and was told 25mm wider then the widest on your tyre placard and 50mm bigger diameter than the biggest on your tyre placard was all thats legal. "

and arrow posted the link to the vicroads pdf file which basically says

"rims up to 25 mm wider OK, tyre diameter up to 15 mm greater OK - all over the widest/largest diameter specified by the manufacturer for your type of vehicle"

So, which is correct?
                            '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                            Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

have had the scorpians on my previous truck (99 bravo d/cab) & loved them. good in the wet, nice & quiet on road & suited my off road driving to a t. only put about 30k on them b4 getting the paj. they are on my list once the yoko h/ts wear out. have also had bfg a/ts on another bravo & found the tread & sidewalls damaged very easily otherwise a good tyre also. had 33inch bfg muddies on my commo v6 hilux, awesome tyre offroad, suprisingly good on road but for some reason they smoked when you fed it the fatjust my 2c worth.
                              The story so far.....03 NP with fruit -Sold.
                              My15 NX. ARB Steel Bar. LED spots. Dobinson MRR lift. Outback Exhaust Fat Pipe. Intervolt DC Pro Dual Battery setup. Provent. SPi module. MM4X4 Lockup Mate, Paddle Mate & Paddle Shift. Mako 12,000 winch with Dyneema.

I'm the boss of my marriage.....my wife said i could say that!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X