tyre pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tyre pressure

Can someone help please. I recently changed from Highway tyres to BGT A/T. Yeah. As a novice with a basic vehicle I was running the highways on 29 psi which was on the door sticker. When I picked up my new tyres from the retailer he had them at 45psi and said that is what I should be running them around town on the black top. This seems too high. Can anyone give me an indication what ideally it should be as I have no extra weight in the back of the vehicle.

regards
    JOn

What model Paj Jon?
    Dave
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

Hi Dave. Model is NP. I know it is a basic question but I didnt know where else to ask the question

Comment

Jon, I was having the same issue. I've been told to run 41 psi for the H/T's on my NM.

Apparently the placard pressure is too low and is aimed at providing a comfy ride. It is not uncommon for dealers and tyre shops to suggest you run them higher.
        Retired - 2001 NM Exceed V6, 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, Wildcat Headers and Custom 2.5" Lukey Ultra Flo System, Milford barrier, Cooper HTs and GY MT/Rs, TJM sump and transmission bashplates

Comment

I run mine at 32-35psi front to rear. Usually because I have cargo in the back at all times. I never go below 32 though, and have occasionally gone up to 40psi. Its a matter of personal preference I think. The higher the tire pressure the less rolling resistance there is. But on the other hand, your tires will wear more in the middle of the tread cause they are rounded more with the higher pise. Its all in finding a happy medium with comfort and even wear I think.
          03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. Looks like it is a personal thing but might try 35's. 45psi appears too high for my liking
            JOn

Comment

I have only gone above the 30's in psi to the 40s when I am towing or hauling a good size load.
              03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Originally posted by icysyrup View Post
                I have only gone above the 30's in psi to the 40s when I am towing or hauling a good size load.
                The Bridgestone man said run my AT 694's at 36psi so i do

Comment

Hmm... perhaps I should rethink the 41 psi then... perhaps lower it a bit...
                  Retired - 2001 NM Exceed V6, 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, Wildcat Headers and Custom 2.5" Lukey Ultra Flo System, Milford barrier, Cooper HTs and GY MT/Rs, TJM sump and transmission bashplates

Comment

I changed my tyres in Perth 6 weeks ago at Bob Janes. When I talked to the service guy he mentioned that the middle of the tread had more wear than the outsides and suggested that my tyre pressures might have been a little bit high. He also recommended that my D694s be run between 35 and 38 psi depending on the load when driving on the bitumen.

Comment

Just make sure you look at the maximum pressure on the side wall of the tyre be less than that pressure.

eg on the black top:
                      Passenger Construction - 28 to 32psi (typically 35psi maximum)
                      Light Truck Construction - 32 to 40psi (typically 60 to 80psi maximum)
                      --
                      Marquis
                      SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

Originally posted by Wal View Post
                        I changed my tyres in Perth 6 weeks ago at Bob Janes. When I talked to the service guy he mentioned that the middle of the tread had more wear than the outsides and suggested that my tyre pressures might have been a little bit high.
                        Classic sign of high pressure.

Originally posted by Wal View Post
                        He also recommended that my D694s be run between 35 and 38 psi depending on the load when driving on the bitumen.
                        I use the 4 psi rule; check/set pressures first thing in the morning, when the tyres are cold. After an hour or so of cruising, check pressures again while "hot." A 4 psi increase indicates the cold pressures are about right for the combination of tyre/load/road conditions/speed. More than 4psi indicates you should increase your COLD pressure, or drop your speed a little. Less than 4 psi means your pressures are higher than you need, or you could drive a little faster. I'd go with the lower tyre pressures, just personally.

FWIW, in a shorty loaded to about 2400kg for a trip, I'm running 38psi for 100km/h on bitumen, low 30s for 80km/h on good dirt, down to mid 20s for 60km/h or less on really crappy roads. Very rough guess, I'd expect a similarly loaded NP to run approximately 4 psi more at higher speeds; lower speeds, I guess it would depend on the tyres.

Cheers,

Scott
                        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

While claiming the coopers wear warranty the coopers rep confirmed I had been running 40 psi in the coopers AT tyres.

Currently I'm running ATR tyres with about 38 psi as instructed by the coopers rep.
                          2010 NT D-ID

Comment

What would be a good pressure for an NG Superwagon with the original 15" wheels? Standard road usage tyres.

Comment

I just got some new MAXXIS 751 265/70/16 on my NP, the plate said 29psi but was told to run 38psi front and rear. Checked max psi on side wall and it says 41psi, I have been running around on the black stuff and all seems fine.
                              NP 03 Exceed. 3.5l petrol. Injected LPG. 2in lift, Poly air at rear, custom rear storage, 10 wheeels, 5 tyres looking for some new tyres,

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X