Steel Rims and tyres to suit NS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel Rims and tyres to suit NS

Hi there. I own a VRX and intend to keep the 18 inch HTs on for around town and get a second set on 17 inch steel wheels with either Pirelli ATRs or Cooper STs for offroading/touring. I have two questions:

1) Are the wheel stud patterns for the NM/NP the same as the NS?

2) I have heard of problems with torque converter lockup with taller tyres. How large could you go and still prevent this? I wanted to go for either 265/75R17 or 265/70R17 as opposed to the factory specced 265/65R17.
    Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Hi Schniff,
    I'm not sure of the stud patterns but as you can see in my signature i've got the 17'' rims and 265/70/17' tyres. They are overall only slightly larger than the standard 18" wheels so shouldn't create a problem. The 265/75/17" tyres i would suggest would be to large and could come back and bite you on the bum.
    With kind regards, Col.
    NS TD Exceed, Long Range Fuel Tank (115 lts), 50mm lift, HD King Springs Bilstein Shockers, ARB Deluxe Bullbar colour coded with Winch, HD Towbar, ROH RTX 17" Rims, Cooper S/T Maxx 265/70/17, Dual Batteries, Safari Snorkle and Diff breathers, Tyre Dog monitoring system, Magellan XL Explorist GPS, GME Personal Locating Beacon with GPS, Uniden UHF, Prodigy Break Controller, Reversing Camera, Updated Security Alarm System. Scangauge + Chipit Chip etc and no DPF!.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Col. So I take it you have no problems with the Torque Converter locking up then?

Love the description of your paj - sounds like an animal! Got any pictures you could email me?
      Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

G'day Schniff,
        No problems with the torque converter at this stage but as i'm only 12mm higher in diametre should be ok. I had 270/75 16" on my last pajero and did start to have some probs with the automatic starting to, not to be able to hold the gears at certain revs, (not sure whether that was the cause of it )but thats all history, now rapt with my NS.
        Sorry i don't have pictures yet but you have reminded me to pull the finger out in regards to photo's.
        And yes the car looks great, at my age it probably want help pull the chicks, but hopefully it does everything else.
        Regards from Col.
        NS TD Exceed, Long Range Fuel Tank (115 lts), 50mm lift, HD King Springs Bilstein Shockers, ARB Deluxe Bullbar colour coded with Winch, HD Towbar, ROH RTX 17" Rims, Cooper S/T Maxx 265/70/17, Dual Batteries, Safari Snorkle and Diff breathers, Tyre Dog monitoring system, Magellan XL Explorist GPS, GME Personal Locating Beacon with GPS, Uniden UHF, Prodigy Break Controller, Reversing Camera, Updated Security Alarm System. Scangauge + Chipit Chip etc and no DPF!.

Comment

I'm also thinking the same. Keep the 18" for the road and get a set of smaller rims and bigger tyres that work out about the same size.

There's some 15's available that work out almost exactly the circumference with Cooper STT's on.

Anyone see any problems with going to 15's? I'm sure that MM wouldn't approve seeing they probably recommend putting 17's or 18's on them.

Do other 6 stud rims fit the NS, which I assume is the same as the NM/NP. What about 6 studs of an 80 series or a Patrol?

It not Big Cols 17" ROH RTX's running Cooper ATR's sound great.
          Cheers,
          Rob

2007 NS VRX DID Auto - ARB Bullbar, Dual Deep Cycle Batteries, Nightstalker HID's, Family Pack, Tow Bar & Lift, Illuminated Side-Steps, Bluetooth, Neoprene Seat Covers, Mio Digiwalker C520 GPS.
          1989 NG EXE Tdi Manual - Cooper ATR's on 16x8 Sunraysia's, Tough Dog 2" Lift

Comment

The Stud pattern is common between NM/NP and NS. I have tried and succeeded in fitting a 16X6 NM Steel Wheel to my NS shorty. The SWB didnt pick up the big brake package the LWB did, so any 17" NP wheel would fit an NS LWB and any 16 or 17" NM/NP wheel would fit a SWB NS, if you can find them.
            NM GL Diesel (Tourer)
            NS Pajero (Tar Baby)

Comment

I just spoke to a guy at Wombat Offroad (Ringwood) who said they will have new steel wheels to fit the NS (LWB & SWB) in about a month or so...
              -------------
              2002 100 Series to suit the growing family

SOLD: 2007 NS DiD SWB - great little car

Comment

Gold!! That will save me heaps of money.

Comment

NS ROB will the 15's fit around the breaks on the NS? I thinks thats why they are a minimum 17 inch's now.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X