Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFS too firm. Suggestions?

Howdy.
    I have a 99 NL which is running 265/75 BFG AT's and has the torsion bars wound up. One of my standard shocks was stuffed and it was riding very harsh so I took it to a local 4WD mechanic and they fitted EFS Elite shocks all round. I was hoping to see a big improvement in ride but it still rides very firm and is uncomfortable on long trips/rough roads and as a daily driver (60km return trip to work). I don't tow anything and it rarely has more than 2 people in it.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should do? Different brand of shocks? Change the torsion bars maybe? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

I used Old Man Emu Nitrochargers on my NH and NC to good effect.
    Cheers, John.
    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

Hi J.M.W
      My 99 NL with std shocks also has a harsh ride. The original are made by KYB. I tried aftermarket KYB shocks. It made the ride even harsher. So I'm interested in your progress.

Comment

I take it you have trimmed the bump stops?

I had wounded up my Torsions to 2 inch and suspected that the Shocks were gone when I got a hard ride. Changed the front shocks, and still no difference to ride quality. So I'm guessing that the only option is to replace the torsion bars but i will stick out the ride until i contemplate is $500 worth the trouble when I can spend it on much better things.
        NJ Shortie 3ltr
        ARB Bullbar, ARB Front and Rear Air Locca, polyair bag suspension, Airtek snorkel, Dual Battery setup, Exhaust setup, Big Doof Doof Stereo

Comment

JMW,

I had an NL and replaced the OE shocks with Old Man Emu shocks (at100,000kms) and the ride was noticeably better and body roll was also reduced.

I was impressed with the change.
          Dennis.

Comment

Hopperoo
            What was it like on Old Man Emu over potholes? Did it soak them up better than originals? Or was it just as harsh?
            1999 3.5 NL Exceed Auto, Adelaide, South Australia

Comment

Originally posted by MITSIR View Post
              I take it you have trimmed the bump stops?

I had wounded up my Torsions to 2 inch and suspected that the Shocks were gone when I got a hard ride. Changed the front shocks, and still no difference to ride quality. So I'm guessing that the only option is to replace the torsion bars but i will stick out the ride until i contemplate is $500 worth the trouble when I can spend it on much better things.
              Mitsir, sounds like you are in the exact same position as me. I haven't trimmed the bumpstops though. How would I go about doing that?

I am seriously considering getting the whole suspension replaced with OME even though I'm not keen to spend that much. I just want it to ride smoother.

Comment

You Would Only need to Trim the top 2 bump stops.You don't have to touch the big bottom one. There is 2 10mm bolts that hold each Bump stop that need to be taken off so you can shave them. Note: It takes abit of patience to put them back on as space is very minimum, but i noticed if you get someone to push the bottom of the forby down, this will help you abit.

the bump stop trimming will help abit of the ride but still not as smooth as what your after. The only option that i think is best for you is new torsion bars. But as i said It isn't worth the trouble for me to spend $500 on new ones.

Good luck
                NJ Shortie 3ltr
                ARB Bullbar, ARB Front and Rear Air Locca, polyair bag suspension, Airtek snorkel, Dual Battery setup, Exhaust setup, Big Doof Doof Stereo

Comment

JMW
                  I'm curious what the height measurement is at the front of your NL? Measured from the lowest part of the wheel rim to the wheel arch.

Comment

Originally posted by keith h View Post
                    JMW
                    I'm curious what the height measurement is at the front of your NL? Measured from the lowest part of the wheel rim to the wheel arch.
                    From the bottom of the rim to the wheel ach it is 77cm.

From the centre of the hub to the arch it is 55.5cm

Does that sound about right?

Comment

Originally posted by J.M.White View Post
                      From the bottom of the rim to the wheel Arch it is 77cm.

From the centre of the hub to the arch it is 55.5cm

Does that sound about right?
                      I've just ran the tape over mine. From the very edge of the rim, so the edge of the tape clips on it - to the underside of the wheel arch
                      Right 75.5 cm
                      Left 75.8 cm

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X