Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibration through steering wheel

Thoughts and suggestions please.

I have an NS 3.2D. After a recent trip to the Cape, I busted a front drive shaft which has now been repaired. Also had new tyres fitted and a wheel alignment. However, noticed that there is a fair bit of vibration through the steering wheel. No so bad on smooth roads, but rougher roads brings it on. Certain speeds don't seem to be a factor. I am thinking that the recent Cape trip (with lots of corrugations) was hard work on the car!!!

Does anyone have any pointers on what to start looking at? The shocks are relatively new (less than 5000kms) and had their bushes changed after the trip.

Is there anything in the steering assembly I should check? I have had a quick look at the bushes but look OK. The sway bar has some lateral play but I don't no whether this is normal.

Kind regards, Paul

...surprised there have been no suggestions????

It may well be the case that I have damaged the shocks - certainly feels a bit softer and a bit more 'floaty' than before.

Would still welcome comments though.

Kind regards, Paul

Comment

Hi Paul (never ceases to be awkward writing that lol)

What pressures have they got in the tyres?
      They may have them up to high, increasing shock and inducing vibrations.

On mine, if have them to high (I do it on big trips) I get shudder like an out of balance wheel after I hit a rough bit of road. If the road goes smooth or I slow down etc to stop the vibration it doesn't usually come back.
      97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
      97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

...thanks Pauly - that is exactly what is happening. I will check the tyre pressures tonight when I get home. I had a good look at the steering and suspension components last night and nothing appears loose/damaged/bent/cracked etc. The only thing different is that the front left shockie feels a bit more bouncy than the rest and perhaps I have done some internal damage to it.

Kind regards, Paul

Comment

It's not nice when it happens, last time it happened to me I was doing 110km/hr and was quite violent.

Dropping the tyre pressure from max cures it for me, not saying it's purely just tyre pressure at fault though, could be a little play in the wheel bearings (normal wear over the years) and tyre pressure helps to exacerbate the problem.

Will crack down on mine soon enough, just the weather is shocking at the moment
          97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
          97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

Maybe a power steering rack end or even a buckled rim?
            NT 2010 GLX Police Pack, Auto 3.2 Diesel, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Winch and Rear Diff Lock. Cooper AT3s on Factoty Alloys, 45mm lift TJM XGS GOLD front & rear, S/D with Poly air bags Rear and HD Front , Bushskinz I/C guard, TJM T/F Case And G/Box guards, Duel Battery setup with Redarc Isolator and Redarc electric brake controller.

Comment

...thanks gents - I will rotate wheels to eliminate problem with rim. Steering rack and steering wheel have zero play so hopefully not the problem.

Will keep you posted.

Kind regards, Paul

Comment

While you at it check for bubble in tyre or anything wrong with your tyres regards john

Comment

i assume those new tyres got balanced?

Comment

...I think we have found the problem. Just been into TJM and the front left strut is knackered!!! Highly likely that this is the reason for the shackes!!! The struts have only done 6000kms (and a hard trip to the Cape!!) so they are being replaced under warranty.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Kind regards, Paul

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X