Bilstein Fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bilstein Fail

So I'm hearing a few reports now of the boots on Bilsteins failing eventually leading to shock failure due to chopping out the rod seal. I see some are coming out with a sleeve rather than a corrugated boot. I would love to hear your reports if you have had a fail.

To date, mine (about 50K old) have been superb. Recently I note the front boots are starting to split. That is a pita....

I have had no issues high speed driving, heavily laden over some of the crappiest dirt roads. Then I do some low speed, high flex work and the boots fail.

The shocks have got so hot, the boot has melted to the shock body. How does that happen?

Left:

Right:

The melted boot and shock body:

Love to hear of any negative experiences of your billies.

MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. My14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

Love from the dime a dozen, lonely army type/weekend warrior dude with a dual cab and all the same shit as everyone else who doesn't know any better. Thanks for the tip Bru.

NX buildhttps://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ive%5B1%5D.gif

My Journeys

mate even my el cheapo monroes don't do that, must be design fault?
    NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Sharpe View Post
      mate even my el cheapo monroes don't do that, must be design fault?
      Yes, in that Bilstein chose the wrong plastic - not necessarily that the dampers did the wrong thing.

When a damper is working correctly, they generate heat. A quick google suggested 170 degrees C isn't unusual, and the Bilstein's monotube design means the outside of the tube can reach that temperature. Not too many plastics can handle temperatures like that.

At a guess, I'd say that damper did its job properly, but somebody in Bilstein didn't when they chose whatever material for the boot.

At the very least, the boots should be replaced, as I'd say they clearly weren't fit for purpose - the new "sleeve" design is evidence that Bilstein came to the same conclusion.

Arguably, the failure of the boot has exposed the shaft seal to wear, which could lead to premature failure. Jump up and down, and demand replacement damper(s) - not just new sleeves.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Was it your trip across the desert that killled the boots Shane?
        2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

sadly my Bils on the rear of the paj failed. 130k 3.5 years.

replaced in a hurry with way less efficient shocks, no where near as good as the bis were, bils going back on soon.

Michael.
          2016 NX,GLS,DID,Auto. Rear DL, ARB deluxe BB, Warn winch, Safari Snorkle, Tow bar, Redarc tow pro, Front door windows tinted, Traxide SC80 dual battery system, Rino roof bars, Icom IC440 UHF, Lovells HD + 50mm springs all round, ????? shocks and struts, Proclip & Strike phone mount.

Comment

I've had Bilsteins on 3 of my 5 Pajeros as well as my Twin Turbo Cressida - None of them had any problems whatsoever.

Current Pajero has done about 110,000km on them - still going strong
            Previous Pajero had done about 145,000km
            Previous to that did about 90,000km on them before I sold it
            The Cressida did about 75,000 before I sold it 4 years ago, two subsequent owners have done about 60,000 more since then...

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie_Dan View Post
              Was it your trip across the desert that killled the boots Shane?
              No, they survived those rigors splendidly. As I mentioned, they have taken the punishment of lots of high speed, corrugated gravel with lots of load placed on them.

The boots failed last weekend. A pissant couple of hill climbs, virtually unladen.
              MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. My14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

Love from the dime a dozen, lonely army type/weekend warrior dude with a dual cab and all the same shit as everyone else who doesn't know any better. Thanks for the tip Bru.

My Journeys

Comment

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                Arguably, the failure of the boot has exposed the shaft seal to wear, which could lead to premature failure. Jump up and down, and demand replacement damper(s) - not just new sleeves.
                I highly doubt that'll happen. But I know where you are coming from.

The new sleeve design leaves the rod seal exposed, just like standard metal shroud covers. Where you get into strife is on the sealed corrugated boot. Once dirt gets in, it cant get out. That is what will test the integrity of the rod seal.

My Journeys

Comment

Now that's shocking (pun intended) could be a combination of Aussie temps slowly degrading the rubber then the high temps from off roading the rubber just fails wonder if there's a recall with an upgrade to fix?
                  2007 NS VRX Cool Siver, Mitsu Alloy BB with spotties, MM towbar, Family Pack, ARB Awning, Duel battery with Optima yellow top starter, Bushskinz intercooler and sump combo, 2" lift with Bilstein shocks and HD Lovels, Ultragauge (Sold 2014)

Comment

That's very surprising, as I can't think of any section of our trip last weekend that could have been considered remotely testing on the shocks for any length of time. Yes they were obviously being used, but hardly any torture test.
                    SOLD: 2013 DiD VRX, MM locker, Dueller 697s, ARB bull bar, Runva EWX9500-Q winch, full Bushskinz plates and sliders, Lovells/Bilsteins with PolyAirs, Airtec snorkel, Jonny Tig Front Mount Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" exhaust, RalliArt ECU, FuelManager diesel pre-filter, EGR block & catch can, BRC breathers, Hella 4000 HIDs, LED Light Bar, BCDC dual battery system, Tow Pro Elite brake controller, Couplertec, spare tyre lift, Whispbar roof racks.

Comment

Prior to this last trip where this occurred, were they in perfect condition prior, ie, had you inspected them before you left ??

Comment

Originally posted by MSF View Post
                        Prior to this last trip where this occurred, were they in perfect condition prior, ie, had you inspected them before you left ??
                        I had inspected them a few weeks prior when I had returned from the desert as I knew the fronts were split before I left, so I have been watching them closely. In the mean time, it had done very little road work. It had to occur on that weekend.

I agree, they got a workout, but only for such a short duration. I was staggered when I looked underneath Sunday arvo.

My Journeys

Comment

I'd definitely be sending them a few photos and description etc - They shouldn't do that (yeah yeah, Captain Obvious I know). in such a short persiod of time..
                          They may want to have a look at them internally to find out what happened...

Comment

G'day shane,

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ht=boot&page=2

Experienced the same problem and posted it on here abut a year ago. Notified Bushskinz, who said they were not aware of the problem at that time.

Performance is good, but the boots are a let down. They split, then let water in onto the seal. They also grab the shaft seal cover on compression, and then pull it up off the seal on extension, eventually "walking" it to the top of the boot. Both back ones failed, not sure of fronts yet, as they are much harder to inspect.

Wouldn't buy or recommend until they change their boot design.

Comment

Originally posted by MSF View Post
                              I'd definitely be sending them a few photos and description etc - They shouldn't do that (yeah yeah, Captain Obvious I know). in such a short persiod of time..
                              They may want to have a look at them internally to find out what happened...
                              Did that too, but to no avail.

Comment

Working...
                              X