265/70 or 265/75???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 265/70 or 265/75???

Getting some new Maxxis 980 on Monday, getting a 2" lift at the same time. Was all set to get the 265/70/16 but in the last few days have almost decided on 265/75/16.

Car is an 04 NP DiD auto.

Every 4x4 I have owned has always had tyres 1 or 2 sizes bigger than standard. Didn't really notice much difference in drivability or power (84 V8 hilux, 98 Patrol petrol auto, 99 Patrol petrol manual). Mainly went bigger size due to type of 4x4ing I was doing.

Going bigger:
    - poofteenth more ground clearance
    - tyre load range is higher 117 vs 123 (not that I really need the extra strength)
    - look better with the lift
    - probably higher fuel consumption
    - possible converter issues at higher speeds (that big a deal really?)

Going smaller:
    - Drivability and fuel consumption stay the same (would I really notice it?)
    - $5 a tyre cheaper haha
    - may look too small with lift

The missus uses it daily and I don't do any extreme 4x4ing anymore. Tow the camper a few times a year.

My head says 265/70 without a doubt, heart says the 265/75 would be much better choice. Don't need the bigger size but would look better IMHO.

I did a search and found all the above issues/advice, still can't bloody decide!

What to do? Not a big deal really but once I buy them I can't take them back...
    SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
    NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Originally posted by Nab View Post
    Getting some new Maxxis 980 on Monday, getting a 2" lift at the same time. Was all set to get the 265/70/16 but in the last few days have almost decided on 265/75/16.

Every 4x4 I have owned has always had tyres 1 or 2 sizes bigger than standard. Didn't really notice much difference in drivability or power (84 V8 hilux, 98 Patrol petrol auto, 99 Patrol petrol manual). Mainly went bigger size due to type of 4x4ing I was doing.

Going bigger:
    - tyre load range is higher 117 vs 123 (not that I really need the extra strength)

Going smaller:
    - $5 a tyre cheaper haha

The missus uses it daily and I don't do any extreme 4x4ing anymore. Tow the camper a few times a year.

My head says 265/70 without a doubt, heart says the 265/75 would be much better choice. Don't need the bigger size but would look better IMHO.

I did a search and found all the above issues/advice, still can't bloody decide!

I know what way I'd want to go with the driving I do on the weekends and how it looks but unless you are dragging the belly offroad I'd stick to 265/70's. I know it's not as exciting but if the main job of the car is a daily driver in traffic and towing a camper I think that's the most responsible.

Then again the 265/75's will look wicked and give you a little extra height to try climb in so you can easily clear all the speed humps down the local shops
    2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

Originally posted by grhyso View Post
      I know what way I'd want to go with the driving I do on the weekends and how it looks but unless you are dragging the belly offroad I'd stick to 265/70's. I know it's not as exciting but if the main job of the car is a daily driver in traffic and towing a camper I think that's the most responsible.

Then again the 265/75's will look wicked and give you a little extra height to try climb in so you can easily clear all the speed humps down the local shops
      haha you're not helping
      SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
      NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

Dont people have troubles with the auto's torque converter NOT locking up when increasing tyre size?
        Something to research and consider anyway....
        2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

285/75s look eve more wickeder!
          NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers

Comment

If you are ever in the middle of nowhere and do a tyre in... whats the most common size that you'd be able to get anywhere and quickly??

Thats what i would look at...
            | 2010 NT Pajero GLS Manual DiD |

| ARB Deluxe Bullbar Colourcoded | Bushskinz Intercooler & Sump Guards | Bilstein & Lovells HD Lift |
            | Bridgestone D697's LT | Airtec Snorkel | Lightforce 170 Spotlights | Rhino Bars & Darche Awning |
            | Milford Cargo Barrier | ARB Dual Battery Tray | Redarc Battery Isolator | LRA 58L Long Range Tank |
            | GME TX3510 | Polyair Bags | Runva EWX12000 Winch | SPVi EGR | Challenge Offroad Camper Trailer |

Purchased But Still To Fit - | MMA Spare Wheel Lift |

Comment

Originally posted by MoreliaMatt View Post
              If you are ever in the middle of nowhere and do a tyre in... whats the most common size that you'd be able to get anywhere and quickly??

Thats what i would look at...
              You'd just use your spare , wouldnt you. Thats if you only do 1 tyre in that is!.
              NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Sharpe View Post
                You'd just use your spare , wouldnt you. Thats if you only do 1 tyre in that is!.
                Nice one Ian!
                | 2010 NT Pajero GLS Manual DiD |

| ARB Deluxe Bullbar Colourcoded | Bushskinz Intercooler & Sump Guards | Bilstein & Lovells HD Lift |
                | Bridgestone D697's LT | Airtec Snorkel | Lightforce 170 Spotlights | Rhino Bars & Darche Awning |
                | Milford Cargo Barrier | ARB Dual Battery Tray | Redarc Battery Isolator | LRA 58L Long Range Tank |
                | GME TX3510 | Polyair Bags | Runva EWX12000 Winch | SPVi EGR | Challenge Offroad Camper Trailer |

Purchased But Still To Fit - | MMA Spare Wheel Lift |

Comment

Go the 265/75, I got 285/75 and 2" lift and they tend to rub on full lock so going back a size 265/75, I don't think fuel econ changes to much I am getting average 9-9.5l/100km maybe a fraction slower off the lights but will you notice,I doubt it.
                  It gives you about an extra 10-15mm, so the old saying might be relevant "size does matter" depends on where you go.
                  Agree what sizes are available if you go bush or to some smaller towns, some do not carry a large stock so get the most popular size at least you can get a spare /replacement.
                  NX 2016 GLS, Graphite, Nudge Bar, Pirelli Scorpion Plus.

Comment

I'd stick to 265/70's. I know it's not as exciting but if the main job of the car is a daily driver in traffic and towing a camper I think that's the most responsible.
                    On that note and being an auto (TC unlock), I couldn't agree more. At the end of the day, there's bugger all ground clearance between the two, and if you dont need it, then why muck around with the cons of a 75?
                    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. My14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

Love from the dime a dozen, lonely army type/weekend warrior dude with a dual cab and all the same shit as everyone else who doesn't know any better. Thanks for the tip Bru.

NX buildhttps://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ive%5B1%5D.gif

My Journeys

Comment

Going bigger:

Going smaller:
                      - $5 a tyre cheaper haha

I am exactly in the same position just having put a 2 inch lift. Current have 245/75/16R

Thinking of going to 265/70/16 vs 265/75/16.

Issues are Converter not locking or something as in this forum. Since I am running 245/75 does it make difference moving to 265/75 apart from height ie 245 to 265

Any help or tips would be handy.

Cheers - ratu

Comment

Originally posted by MoreliaMatt View Post
                        Honestly don't see myself in that position in the next 5 years, if it was urgent or I was desperate I would chuck on anything or even drive on the rim if need be haha!

As a matter of interest, which is more common in the bush? How would someone find this out?

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                        On that note and being an auto (TC unlock), I couldn't agree more. At the end of the day, there's bugger all ground clearance between the two, and if you dont need it, then why muck around with the cons of a 75?
                        They suit the lifted Pajeros much better than 265/70s, fill the guards well and look "right". But looks aren't that important. Or are they?

Originally posted by Aussie_Dan View Post
                        Dont people have troubles with the auto's torque converter NOT locking up when increasing tyre size?
                        Correct, but I tow in 4th so no issue towing, not sure if it will be noticeable.
                        SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                        NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

As a matter of interest, which is more common in the bush? How would someone find this out?
                          It was a few years ago now, on another forum, I asked a bloke who worked for a major tyre importer. He made some inquiries about what was shipping to the bush, and 265/75 was by far the most common 16" tyre.

I can't imagine this would change in a hurry.
                          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Originally posted by Ratu Pajero View Post
                            I am exactly in the same position just having put a 2 inch lift. Current have 245/75/16R

Thinking of going to 265/70/16 vs 265/75/16.

Issues are Converter not locking or something as in this forum. Since I am running 245/75 does it make difference moving to 265/75 apart from height ie 245 to 265

Any help or tips would be handy.

Cheers - ratu
                            Ratu, The 245/75 and the 265/70 both have the same overall diameter (within a few mm) so moving from the 245/75 to the 265/70 will not give you any increase in lift, or have any effect on the standard gearing / torque convertor.
                            The 245 however, is generally a stronger carcass - 10 ply. Most of the 265/70's are passenger construction, with a few 8 ply LT's and a couple of 10 ply options.
                            Cheers, Dan.
                            2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

So we all know that a 265/75/16 will give about 10 - 15mm of extra clearance over a 265/70/16....

BUT.. That is at highway pressures.

Has anyone ever checked to see if this height difference remains when we lower the pressures for offroad work as different pressures will reduce overall tyre diameter by different amounts???

Maybe at lower pressures there is no "REAL" difference except the piece of mind that we are running larger tyres with a perceived height advantage..

Can of worms has just been opened...

Cheers Lenny
                              2001 NM 3.5ltr manual, 2"Lovells lift, D694 LT265/70/16, ECB alloy bar, Hella lights, Uniden UHF, Rhino track mount and basket, Cargo barrier, awning, Home made drawers.

Comment

Working...
                              X