Reasonabley priced 18" muds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasonabley priced 18" muds?

So after calling around a number of tyre shops and getting quotes on 275/65r18 and even slightly larger sizes of various makes, I am yet to find a mud/heavy AT tyre for an 18" rim under $515 per tyre (fitted and balanced).

I don't Particularly feel like paying over $2500 for new tyres, so my question is; has anyone managed to find a tyre/tyre shop close to Brisbane in the range of 275/65r18 that doesn't break the bank? Or am I just going to have to bite the bullet?
    2010 NT Pajero VRX Pearl White

- 2" Dobinsons Lift - Xrox Bar - Electronic brakes - Rhino Pioneer Rack - Roo Systems awning - TJM Airtech Snorkel - K&N Air Filter - 82ah Dual Battery system - Waeco CFX-65DZ - Custom rear drawer - 3" Xforce Turbo back Exhaust System - Bushskinz Bashplate - Redarc EGT and Boost Gauge - 285/65/r18 Nitto Trail Grapplers -18x8 CSA Raptors - 1000mm Korr XD500 LED Bar -

You will get Maxxis Bighorns for well under that. I have a set for my NS and they are great off road. A little noisey on the road tho.

Gareth
    Silver 2008 NS VRX 3.2 DiD
    Ironman / Lovell 50mm lift, 275/65R18 Maxxis Big Horn's, Custom Rear bar protection, Bush Skinz intercooler guard, 4mm oil pan guard (self made), Bush Skinz Trans and Transfer guards, Bush Skinz Rock sliders, ARB Deluxe colour coded bull bar, ORU 12,000LB winch, Light force 240 Spot Lights, Custom dual battery carrier / Red Arc Isolator, UHF, Custom Tuned Uni-Chip.

Comment

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/tea-t...zes/1032670951
      Bighorns for $370

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/coope...ne-/1032409927
      Summit Mud-Hog - $260

Comment

Originally posted by Gareth View Post
        You will get Maxxis Bighorns for well under that. I have a set for my NS and they are great off road. A little noisey on the road tho.

Gareth
        Awesome, thanks! Sounds like the tyre shops have been trying to take me for abit.of a ride...was quoted $515 for bighorns

Gareth, do you use them as your daily drivers? I will only have the one set, I could Tolerate a bit of noise, as long as it wasn't excessive...how do they perform on road and in the wet?

- 2" Dobinsons Lift - Xrox Bar - Electronic brakes - Rhino Pioneer Rack - Roo Systems awning - TJM Airtech Snorkel - K&N Air Filter - 82ah Dual Battery system - Waeco CFX-65DZ - Custom rear drawer - 3" Xforce Turbo back Exhaust System - Bushskinz Bashplate - Redarc EGT and Boost Gauge - 285/65/r18 Nitto Trail Grapplers -18x8 CSA Raptors - 1000mm Korr XD500 LED Bar -

Comment

buy 17" Steel rims and Mud tyres and they will still be under $500 a corner...
          2011 NT RX 3.2DiD.ARB Winch Bar,Avenger 9500lb Winch,ARB Lockers,OME 2' Lifted Suspension,Poly Airs,58lt LRA Tank, Redarc Dual Battery Kit,Snorkel,Rock Sliders,GME UHF TX3340,265/70R17 MTZ's,Full Under Body Protection,48lt S/S Water Tank,HID Spot Lights,LED Light Bar,Custom Made Rear Draws,Diff Breathers,Diesel Smart Module,B&M Tranny Cooler,Dual Wheel Carrier,Rear,Camp Light,In Dash GPS,Coupler Tech,Tyre Monitors,Scan Gauge,3' Manta Exh,HPD InterCooler,RhinoRack etc

Comment

Originally posted by samrenny View Post
            Gareth, do you use them as your daily drivers? I will only have the one set, I could Tolerate a bit of noise, as long as it wasn't excessive...how do they perform on road and in the wet?
            I have done 35,000km on them in the past 12 months. Ill be honest they are not getting quieter with age. They handle well in the wet or dry.
            Silver 2008 NS VRX 3.2 DiD
            Ironman / Lovell 50mm lift, 275/65R18 Maxxis Big Horn's, Custom Rear bar protection, Bush Skinz intercooler guard, 4mm oil pan guard (self made), Bush Skinz Trans and Transfer guards, Bush Skinz Rock sliders, ARB Deluxe colour coded bull bar, ORU 12,000LB winch, Light force 240 Spot Lights, Custom dual battery carrier / Red Arc Isolator, UHF, Custom Tuned Uni-Chip.

Comment

Managed to get Cooper STT's for $300 each plus shipping and fitting,
              Ended up with about $360 a corner fitted, balanced an delivered.
              If you can wait bargains come along.
              .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
              NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

I have the Mud Hogs as my second set of tyres, handle really well on road as well as off road. They do hum, but they are a mud tyre so for me it comes with them. I have also had Bighorns, and I prefer the Mud hogs.
                Cheers,
                Andrew.
                Cheers,
                Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
                Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                  Managed to get Cooper STT's for $300 each plus shipping and fitting,
                  Ended up with about $360 a corner fitted, balanced an delivered.
                  If you can wait bargains come along.
                  Sounds like you got a bargain! I've been doing a fair bit of calling around and the cheapest I've managed to find are General Grabber AT2 for $369 each, they're not quite as aggressive as I'd like though.

Originally posted by Herman4x4 View Post
                  I have the Mud Hogs as my second set of tyres, handle really well on road as well as off road. They do hum, but they are a mud tyre so for me it comes with them. I have also had Bighorns, and I prefer the Mud hogs.
                  Cheers,
                  Andrew.
                  Thanks for the response Andrew, I will have a better look in to the mud hogs then. My main concern is lack of traction in the wet on road, I've heard some muddies can
                  Be pretty bad. Not too concerned for myself, more for when the missus is driving

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X