Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HT tyres and sand

Hey all,

I currently have a set of 50% worn Geolanders HT 265/70/16 and am looking to do some sand driving. WHat are your expieriences with tyre tyres on sand, i've heard HT patterns are ok on sand, but have never tried.....

cheers

HTs work fine on sand just stay away from mud
    1993 NJ LWB: UHF, bull bar, 2" Iron man coils/T-bars, 30mm coil spacers, 35mm body lift, long travel RS5000s, Cranked T-bars, lokka, 35x12.5 GoodYear MTR, light force 170s, Duel battery with selectable volt meter, roof basket, 9.5" rear diff - more to come!

Comment

Originally posted by snarley View Post
      Hey all,

I currently have a set of 50% worn Geolanders HT 265/70/16 and am looking to do some sand driving. WHat are your expieriences with tyre tyres on sand, i've heard HT patterns are ok on sand, but have never tried.....

cheers
      HT's are great - I played in Robe on 50% worn Goodyear's. Got as stuck as any others. Drop the pressur and you'll drive most places - had to drop mine to 8 psi to get out of 1 spot but no issue - aired them back to 16 and had no issues. Drove as well if not better than some with AT's on. The bloke with MT's did surprise me but with a 4.8 petrol you have the response.
      "Never Underestimate a childs ability to get into trouble "

Comment

I have Cooper HT's and find they are fine on sand. Just air down and you'll be okay.
        Retired - 2001 NM Exceed V6, 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, Wildcat Headers and Custom 2.5" Lukey Ultra Flo System, Milford barrier, Cooper HTs and GY MT/Rs, TJM sump and transmission bashplates

Comment

For that size tyre, HT are basically best suited to sand, nice soft sidewalls, non agressive tread to minimise the tyre from digging etc. - AT's sidewalls are to hard and dont balloon enough, you end up digging more then anythign, a well ballooned MT of the same size may be comparible but thats about it...

Comment

A couple in a bog stock auto NP DID crossed the Simpson with us on the factory Geolander HT's. No Flats, No Punctures and No boggings attributable to the tyres (just ground clearance issues once or twice). Not exactly recomended in terms of puncture resistance but as those above say, perhaps the HT's are actually the better sand tyre.
            16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
            10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

Sand Tyres

Thanks guys for the responses. I'm off to Fraser Island in October so i was toying with the idea and expense of a set of AT's but if i can save the bucks and spend it on something else all the better...

cheers

Comment

Snarley, we went to Frasier on the original tyres {Geolanders} in the boggest of sand, Tyres let down to 18Psi, didn't even look like getting bogged. A suspension
                lift would be good as the front may push a bit sand, but we had no mods done & had no probs. What a great place.
                Cheers Gary
                Dual Battery
                80Ltr Waeco
                91Ltr Longrange Tank
                3" Lovells/Bilstein
                3” Exhaust
                Winch
                NP 05 DID

Comment

thanks mate

Comment

I can also vouch for HT tyres on Fraser. When I bought my NL a year ago now it had the standard Geolander HT's worn about 50%. A week later we went on a 2 week trip to Fraser Island and Cooloola NP. I let the tyres down to around 22psi where they bagged nicely and it didn't even look like getting bogged. The centre of the vehicle bottomed out here and there on tracks carved out by vehicles with more ground clearance, but that still didn't stop the Paj.

Comment

thankyou all

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X