Cooper Tyres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooper Tyres

Im in the process of replacing the HT Bridgestone Tyres on my ML triton and I have for sometime now considered the Cooper ST tyres, however the guy I normally take my car to for tyre issues says the Bridgestone D694's are a better tyre. I have in the past had the D694 and found them to be great on road but offroad they lacked in grip. What are your thoughts on the Cooper ST tyres, I have also considered the MT's as well but I think thats a little to excessive.
    I mainly drive on road but I do alot of offroad work and will be fitting a suspension lift to my baby with a bullbar and winch. Any advice or experiences people can give me would be great. P.S if you are going to recommend BFGOODRICH take a hike, not interested in a crappy tyre. Sorry no offence to people with them.

Running Cooper ST's on the NP at the moment in 265/70/16 (not LT). Previously have had Yoko GOII's and Pirelli Scorpians. The ST's are good off-road - perhaps the best in terms of traction of all the tyres I have had. But they seem prone to a fair bit of chipping and lug tearing. They are very noisy compared to the others too but treadwear rate seems reasonable. The Pirelli's were perhaps the best tyre we had in terms of on road vs off road compromise but wore very fast (30,000km).

Pat
    16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
    10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

ahhh the good old Triton's H/T's.... mine will be coming off next week . I would normally fit a set of Cooper ST's as I used to run them on a Holden Rodeo and was very happy with them...

However I've picked up a set of Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmors very cheaply so will give them a go... If they're no good, I'll definitely go back to Coopers. Excellent puncture resistance, good mileage, and good grip offroad - on-road characteristics ain't particularly stunning (kinda what you'd expect from a off-road oriented tyre) but that something I got used to, and on the old Rodeo that didn't really matter - could be a different story with mah new powahful Triton though

I too have noticed the chipping and tearing of some of the lugs on the Coopers, but it didn't seem to affect their wear or overall grip significantly.

Hope that helps!
      Andrew
      White 07 ML Triton GLX-R 3.2 Di-D, Ironman bullbar, TJM snorkel, GME TX3440, tinted and lined, Lightforce 240's, 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler SA's
      Got a new Triton?? Click here!!

Comment

Hi, I am looking at the Copper ATR (for a Pajero SWB), is there any reason you haven't considered these (rather than the Cooper ST?)

I got a quote for the D694 fitted are $299 each (seemed expensive), I am waiting to hear what the ATR's are.
        MY09 NT Pajero X SWB DiD White
        Mods - MM towbar, Yokohama A/T-s 265/60r18 tyres, ARB Deluxe Bar

Comment

I have been doing some research and the coopers website says the new ST's are 2.5 times more resistant to tear and chipping, was this the case with your tyres?

Comment

Coopers are overrated IMO and there are far better options out there. I've had D694s on my Paj and am happy with them. Traction on both tar, sand and dirt are very good provided you change pressures to accommodate. My next tyres may not be Bridgies but they certainly won't be Coopers.

Australian 4WD monthly did a tyre comparison last year that produced some surprising results. I can't seem to access it at the moment as the site seems to have some problems but from what I can remember the Pirelli Scorpions came out on top and the D694s were in the top four. BFG, Cooper and other notables were even further down the list.

When I find the article I'll post it but you might like to check it out on

Comment

Originally posted by Wal View Post
              When I find the article I'll post it but you might like to check it out on

Is Gripping Stuff the article you were looking for Wal?

Peter
              2012 NW Platinum DiD, 2" Lift, Bar & Winch, Driving Lights, Dual Battery, Snorkel.

Soon to be Ex- 2002 NM Exceed 3.2DiD, Lifted, PSI Powerbox, Bullbar, HID Driving Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie03 View Post
                I have been doing some research and the coopers website says the new ST's are 2.5 times more resistant to tear and chipping, was this the case with your tyres?
                not sure if you're talking to me Aussie, do you know how long the "new" ST's have been out? Last set I bought were late last year

Cheers
                Andrew
                White 07 ML Triton GLX-R 3.2 Di-D, Ironman bullbar, TJM snorkel, GME TX3440, tinted and lined, Lightforce 240's, 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler SA's
                Got a new Triton?? Click here!!

Comment

The ST's less prone to chipping are known as ST-C and are a different compund to the original ST which is still available. Unless you're driving in very rocky stuff all the time and ripping lugs off then there is no need for the C version, they wear quicker than the originals. With normal dirt and mud and tar the ST's should be fine. I've done over 60K on mine now and no sign of any chipping but I don't do a lot of sharp rocky stuff.
                  The ST-C's have been out for at least 3 years

Comment

Just got the Bridgestone catalogue in the mail and they are advertising D694's in 265/70R16 for $239 + a $5 cash back if you present your NRMA, RCV etc card.

I am currently running them on my NP Pajero and have not had any problems to speak of. I was considering the Pirelli Scorpian A/T's due to the $wwd Monthly report but have seen some comflicting info on the Tyre Rack tyre survey which rated the Scorpian ATR as a better tyre and the AT way down the list.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT

Comment

Originally posted by Wal View Post
                      Australian 4WD monthly did a tyre comparison last year that produced some surprising results. I can't seem to access it at the moment as the site seems to have some problems but from what I can remember the Pirelli Scorpions came out on top and the D694s were in the top four. BFG, Cooper and other notables were even further down the list.
                      Originally posted by pjchris View Post
                      Is Gripping Stuff the article you were looking for Wal?

Peter
                      Can't be. Cooper S/Ts came second, despite dreadful on-road performance. Must be another comparison where they finished outside the top four.

I've had S/Ts and STTs, and think they're great offroad. I have NFI how they really handle on-road, because I drive a lifted 4wd - I don't try to drive it like a sports car. When I had the Paj engineered (with the STTs) it passed with flying colours - the engineer was impressed with braking and handling.

FWIW, I was bush two weeks ago, with an 80 Series on Desert Duellers and a 90 Series Prado on D694s (both with decent suspension, too.) Without using my diff lock, my Paj was the only vehicle which drove everything first go. Of course, a decent LSD probably helped, too.

YMMV,

Scott

(PS I wouldn't buy Cooper ATRs - I've read a few too many bad reports about wet bitumen performance.)
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Just put the Cooper ST's on mine yesterday.
                        First impressions a bit more noise on the road but not unbearable. Running standard size 265/70 16's previously i had Nankangs Super Tripa (cant remember the exact name) 275/70 16's thats what was on it initially when i bought the vehicle with those it used to bounce everytime i hit a bump on the road and jolt everyone and everything in the vehicle. These new coopers absorb the bumps better and it is a smoother ride. Cornering feels different to previous tyres not sure if its better or worse at this stage need to put some more kms on them. The tread on them is huge i hope to get a good mileage out of them.
                        Dont think they will have much trouble in the mud.

Regards

Comment

As I probably mentioned earlier in the thread I have Cooper ST's in 265/70/16's on the NP (non LT version but the right size). I was disapointed in the on-road handling after having had the Pirelli Scorpian AT's, but following a decent wheel allignment I am actually fairly happy (we are running greater camber on the front than factory due to scrubbing the outside of tyres). They are nearly as good as the Scorpian on road, and IMHO a bit better off-road. Tyre wear looks to be better, chipping is our only complaint.

Pat
                          16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX

Comment

Oh - and per NJ SWB - another negative for the Cooper ATR: Two friends with Prado 120's and ATR's are now looking to alternatives to these after chopping them to bits in the bush.
                            16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX

Comment

Another negative for the ATR's. I have run them on my Challenger for about 20k now, and are very slippery in the wet, and make more noise than the old muds did. And have been rotated and aligned each 5k.

As we are doing Cape york next year, and because i want to im moving to Mickey Thompson MTZ's. Tried them in a mates hilux, and they were surprisingly quiet and responsive on road - and top notch off road!

Dave
                              00 Challenger - M/T MTZ's, Bullbar, UHF, 2"+ lift (EFS & ironman), OnBoard Air (Boss 3/4hp + tank + air tools ).
                              My Other Toys - 1970 Valiant Pacer Hardtop, 1973 Valiant Charger

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X