Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LT Construction on Automatic NP DID Paj.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LT Construction on Automatic NP DID Paj.

G'day, I'm new to this forum. Been lurking a while and here is my first post.

I own a 2005 DID Auto Pajero still with the original Geolanders. I'm looking to get a new set of "boots" and am considering a number of brands. Coopers, Bridgestone, Pirelli (probably an AT pattern) but the thing that is bugging me is whether it's OK to put LT tyres on my vehicle.

I'm sure I saw an older thread about a torque converter lockup problem with the slightly higher profile 75 tyres.

I'm keen to get a robust, puncture resistant tyre but don't want to screw up the transmission.

Any advice will be gratefully accepted.

Cheers.
    NP DiD Auto GLX, Front - Lovells HD Springs/Bilstein Struts, Back - Lovells SD Springs/Lovells Shocks, Polyairs, Alloy bull bar, Sidesteps, Tow bar, Rhino roof rack.

Hi Renth

I have a NP and recently replaced my tyres. In the end i stayed with 265/70/16 and went for the MAXXIS A/Ts.

So far have been happy, havent had them off road yet. I will be going off road in about 2 to 3 weeks.

Comment

Hi I have Maxxis bravos 751 on the front of my Pajero and just ordered 3 more for the back and the spare. They seem to be good, only used them once off road and no chipping and @ $179 each there also rated as M&S which i think is mud and sand.
      NP 03 Exceed. 3.5l petrol. Injected LPG. 2in lift, Poly air at rear, custom rear storage, 10 wheeels, 5 tyres looking for some new tyres,

Comment

You can place 265/75/16's on your vehicle (I have them) but you will have to drive in 4th not 5th otherwise you will burn your auto trans fuild (ATF). Expect a major increase in fuel use (ie 700km out of a tank instead of a 1000km). I use GY Silent Armour due to the 123 load rating (1500kg?) and they were $70/tire cheaper than BFG or Cooper (Newcastle), however they sway abit and not real good on loose dirt roads (particularly on corners). I would be looking at the 245/75 or 265/70 next time.

Another option is 245/75R16 - they are about 2mm dia smaller than 265/70.

Another option is BFG 265/70/16 LT A/T but they are loosely called an LT.
        --
        Marquis
        SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

Hi Renth,

I have Cooper ST's in LT construction on a second set of wheels in 245/75 16 size, my Paj runs on petrol / lpg. I have not had a problem with the torque converter locking up, other than it locks a little later, I think due to the increased rolling resistance of the tyres.
          Pajero MY05 Exceed, DVD / (infamous) Sat Nav, Petrol / Injected LPG, alloy bull bar, Blue Tongue compressor, Pirahna dual battery system, Cibie Oscar SC driving lights, UHF, Next G car kit, Waeco FF40, set Cooper ST's, cargo barrier and polyairs.

Comment

Originally posted by sinbad View Post
            Hi I have Maxxis bravos 751 on the front of my Pajero and just ordered 3 more for the back and the spare. They seem to be good, only used them once off road and no chipping and @ $179 each there also rated as M&S which i think is mud and sand.
            M&S is mud and snow
            pathy
            1st month 2004 GLS Pajero 3.2 diesel, auto, ecb bullbar, compact ralley 4000's, towbar,Kings Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Pirelli ATR's,Homemade Bash Plates, Homemade Diff breathers.

Comment

Originally posted by Pathy View Post
              M&S is mud and snow
              pathy
              Thanks pathey I don't think they will get much snow use,
              NP 03 Exceed. 3.5l petrol. Injected LPG. 2in lift, Poly air at rear, custom rear storage, 10 wheeels, 5 tyres looking for some new tyres,

Comment

Originally posted by linou View Post
                Hi Renth,
                I have Cooper ST's in LT construction on a second set of wheels in 245/75 16 size, my Paj runs on petrol / lpg. I have not had a problem with the torque converter locking up, other than it locks a little later, I think due to the increased rolling resistance of the tyres.
                The Torque converter lockup problem seems to only affect the DiD...not the petrol....

Peter
                2012 NW Platinum DiD, 2" Lift, Bar & Winch, Driving Lights, Dual Battery, Snorkel.

Soon to be Ex- 2002 NM Exceed 3.2DiD, Lifted, PSI Powerbox, Bullbar, HID Driving Lights.

Comment

The other issue being the legality. Depending on your state rules, >15mm increase in OD will technically be illegal. 70 to 75 series is around 25mm difference.

Pat
                  16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
                  10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far.

I'm thinking about sticking with the placarded 265/70 R16 size and maybe taking an extra spare plus the obligatory repair kit when I go bush.
                    NP DiD Auto GLX, Front - Lovells HD Springs/Bilstein Struts, Back - Lovells SD Springs/Lovells Shocks, Polyairs, Alloy bull bar, Sidesteps, Tow bar, Rhino roof rack.

Comment

We have run several sets of non-LT AT's and I cant say that we have had any more or any less punctures than the rest of the group we have travelled with.
                      16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
                      10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

tyres

Why the fuss ? Just stick to the original sizes... the difference you'll get out of a 75 versus a 70 is 3/4 off fu##all. There's plenty of options around in 70 anyway.

cheers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X