Tyre Topic: Toyo Open Country M/T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre Topic: Toyo Open Country M/T

This Tyre Topic is for members to post about Toyo Open Country M/T. Post your thoughts on grip, noise, wear, airing down, or anything else you consider of interest to other members.

Toyo Open Country M/T.

Rules for Tyre Topics:
    • Tyre Topics are intended to be information sources. Both positive and negative reports are encouraged.
    • Tyre Topics are NOT for slanging matches. Any posts which don't contain useful information may be deleted.
    • Please post first hand accounts only - "my tyres" or "I saw" reports. Any "mate said" or "I heard" stories may be deleted.
    • Comparisons with other tyres are acceptable, if they contain first hand accounts (see above.) "Buy XXX instead" opinions (without first hand stories to back them up) are not.

An index of Tyre Topics can be found in the Tyre Topics Index.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

I'm currently running these on my NT, and (for how I'm currently using it) I wouldn't get them again.

I bought these to replace a set of Kumho MT51, because I'd always liked the look of them (very similar in appearance to a previous version of the Cooper STT that I had) and I was offered a set at a price that I thought was good value.

Off road performance is everything I expected, but they're definitely a heavier and stiffer tyre on road. When they were new, I could feel every tread block hit the road, and playing with tyre pressures didn't really help.

At highway speeds they seem to come up 7 psi regardless of the starting pressure, and they also get quite hot - I've seen 70 degrees more often than I like. Comparing fuel economy with regular travelling companions, I believe I'm also using more fuel with these tyres than I did with the S/T Maxx or MT51s.

If I lived in Victoria near the High Country I think I'd like them much more, but for the long bitumen distances we're forever doing in SA, I'll look for something different next time.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

I posted an update on my M/T's elsewhere - figured I should also post it here...

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
      Yesterday was another tyre rotation of the Toyo M/Ts. That's the third rotation in a little over 30k km, and they've got between 8 & 10mm tread left (to the bottom, not the bars), so say about half worn. I won't keep them until they hit the treadwear bars, but I'd say they're on track for a nominal 60k - 70k km life - I think that's OK for the style of tyre, and the work they've done.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

I run a set of 265/70r17 as my second set.

Road Noise - much louder then ATs but not so much so that you can't have a conversation.

Black top - use about 1.5-2L more per hundred. Your feel the tyres role over the blocks. I've run at 40psi and 48psi. The higher pressure help but not a huge amount.

Sand - i run these down around 15psi as the side walls are so stiff they need to be low to get the uber stiff side walls to bag.

Mud/rocks/clay - they go everywhere. I've done some pretty steep, rocky clay climbs at road pressures an they just grip. @20-25 psi never an issue.

As long as you know what you're in for they are a great tyre. I wouldn't have them as a daily driver but as a second set, for the price I got them they are are to beat.

Comment

After 39k km I've retired these tyres. They were about 50% worn, so plenty of road-legal life in them, but I bought them to be chunky, aggressive, off-road tyres with plenty of rubber to keep the rocks away from the air inside - with so much rubber gone, they were more heavy, noisy & thirsty, and less protection. A tread depth gauge indicated I had been running them mildly underinflated, despite running them above Toyo's recommended pressures for my load - on highway runs, temperatures and pressures always came up more than I really liked, but I was also very reluctant to start with pressures any higher. Perhaps I should've?

For replacements, I took a punt on some second-hand ST Maxx - I've liked ST Maxx in the past, but the jury is out on how successful (financially) this gamble may be.

I have no real regrets about having bought them, but I doubt I'd ever buy them again.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X