Spare tyre size different to others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare tyre size different to others

Hi there. I have just realised that the spare tyre on my Challenger is a different size to the others:

4 are 245/70/R16 111S
    Spare is 265/70/R15 110S

So if I get stuck with a flat somewhere, how far can I sensibly drive before the flat must be fixed?

Cheers
    July 2000 PA Challenger Manual Petrol
    New to Off-roading on 4 wheels

The overall difference in nominal tyre diameter (once calculated out) is a few mm. In reality, two tyres of the same nominal size from different manufacturers could have this much difference in diameter, so the size difference is not worth worrying about - from a purely mechanical perspective. In an emergency, drive as far as you want.

You haven't specified which model of Challenger - but if you have a 15" spare I'll guess it's a PA. Many forum members have experienced issues with flashing lights on the dash if they drive with mis-matched tyres on one axle - from memory, it's the Super Select system that gets upset, but I don't believe it actually causes a limp mode or prevents driving. If you have a PA Challenger with Easy Select I don't think you'll have a problem.

Then there is the legislative question. I believe each state has a requirement about matching tyres on any one axle i.e. it's illegal to have two different size and/or type of tyre on one axle. In your situation, using it as a spare to get to a repair place, I doubt you'll have a problem - look at all the vehicles that come ex-factory with "space saver" spares.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 Toyo MT, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Probably no big deal.
      If you have to drive an extended distance I'd be putting the spare on the front and make sure you are in 2WD.
      This would avoid the rear diff having to contend with the difference in circumference.

Really only may be an issue if you are travelling hundreds of kilometres 'though...
      2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
      MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Matrid View Post
        Hi there. I have just realised that the spare tyre on my Challenger is a different size to the others:

4 are 245/70/R16 111S
        Spare is 265/70/R15 110S

So if I get stuck with a flat somewhere, how far can I sensibly drive before the flat must be fixed?

Cheers
        The PB never came with 15” rims so first thing is to check you have posted the correct information.
        If it is a 15” rim then chances are the offset will be wrong and the wheel will not fit on the front axle.
        If the spare is a 265/70R16 then this is a standard diameter tyre at 776mm.
        If the 4 tyres fitted to the car are really 245/70R16 then this tyre is 750mm in diameter so 26mm smaller than factory specs. This tyre size was fitted o the 2wd version of the PB Challenger.
        If the 4 tyres fitted to the car are 245/75R16 these tyres have a diameter of 774mm so it is ok to run the 2 different tyres in an emergency despite the tyres being 20mm different in width. I would only fit it to the rear axle though.

So time to double check all the information on all the tyres.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Bear in mind also that the handling characteristics will be quite different, and so I would drive very cautiously on bends.

Comment

Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate the education I am getting!

So, to clarify I have a July 2000 PA Manual Petrol Challenger. I note "July" as my research shows from August onwards there were some changes, but I am unsure what.
            I assume I must have Easy Select as I only have 3 modes..... 2 & 4H and 4L

So I have double checked the info I posted and it is correct -

4 are 245/70/R16 111S
            Spare is 265/70/R15 110S

I checked the manual and it is the "spare" size that is listed there.

Thanks again everyone

Comment

So as Njswb stated the tyres you have fitted have the same diameter so no problems mechanically with fitting these in an emergency.

I doubt if you would pass a roadworthy inspection though with a mixture of different tyre widths though.

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Great, thanks OJ

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X