Advice needed on muddies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed on muddies

Need some advice. Planning to buy a set of muddies for my steel rims. Here are what I think are my options to stay legal.
    1. BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM LT245/75R16 (or LT255/70) 3 ply sidewall
    2. Cooper STT Armor-Tek3 LT245/75R16 120Q, 3 ply sidewall
    3. Goodyear Wrangler MT/R LT245/75R16 120P, 3 ply sidewall
    I'd be interested in peoples opinions and advice. I'm probably leaning towards the Coopers at the moment.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Retired - 2001 NM Exceed V6, 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, Wildcat Headers and Custom 2.5" Lukey Ultra Flo System, Milford barrier, Cooper HTs and GY MT/Rs, TJM sump and transmission bashplates

Forget the others - use:

Goodyear Wrangler MT/R LT245/75R16 120P, 3 ply sidewall - just remember the speed rating when passing or in NT. (P=150kph max)

(I am looking at these too!)
    --
    Marquis
    SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

What will the tyre be mainly used for.

IMHO the MTR is the best allrounder tyre. They are good on the road, great on dirt and outback tracks and fantastic in the desert,on sand and on rocks.
      But they suck in mud. They are better than an A/T in mud but nowhere near as good as the other 2.
      The MT in the goodyear does not stand for Mud Terrain but "Maximum Traction"
      thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
      1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

Thanks guys.

I'm not planning on doing serious mud with them. Mainly dirt, sand and outback tracks. In fact might use the current set for sand stuff (Cooper HTs).
        Last edited by Endorphin; 10-09-07, 09:45 AM.
        Retired - 2001 NM Exceed V6, 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, Wildcat Headers and Custom 2.5" Lukey Ultra Flo System, Milford barrier, Cooper HTs and GY MT/Rs, TJM sump and transmission bashplates

Comment

Advice on Muddies

I have found the Cooper STT Armor Tech are very noisy on bitumen on my 2005 NP, particularly around 40 - 60 Kph. At highway speeds (100 -110Kph) their noise is similar to having a roof rack on the vehicle. However they have been very good on the dry shaley tracks above Omeo with no chipping evident on the tread blocks and seem to have good grip on bitumen. No worries with sand out in the little desert, however I must be honest, I have not really used them in the mud at this time.
          NX Pajero, Duel Batteries (under bonnet), Factory Nudge Bar, Kings Springs, Bilstein Shocks, TowPro Elite, Icom IC-450, Cooper ST-Maxx Tyres (off road), AutoMate, towing 2015 Vista Crossover XL.

Comment

Agree with Walker 100%. MTR's are fine for everything, except mud. If all you want to do is play in mud, (the attraction for the crap still confuses me ) dont get the MTR's. Personally wouldnt touch BFG muddies, sure they are ok in the mud, but if they are going to also be your everyday tyre, get used to many 'character building' situations on wet bitumen roads.
            NL Pajero,F&R airlockers, reduction gears, Ironman susp, ARB bullbar, Tigerz winch, Uniden UHF, roolite driving lights, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib &, BFG KM2' tyres

MUD SUCKS.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. Decided to go for the MTRs. Although despite ringing around today (in Sydney) I was unable to find anyone with stock. Appartently 3-4 weeks away

There were a few tyres scattered around the state but the courier costs would make it uneconomical.

Anyway thanks again.

Mike

Comment

I end up finding someone with 4 tyres in Sydney and had them fitted yesterday. Will let you know what I think of them after next weekend when I take the truck out for a spin.

First impressions on the road are that they are a bit noisy between 40-70 kph. Also there is a bit of sidewall movement if you push the tyre a bit. Bear in mind I'm coming from HT tyres so I expect there would be a bit of a difference.

Thanks again to all those who pointed me in the right direction.

Cheers,
                Mike

Comment

Got some pics side and front/rear?
                  --
                  Marquis

Comment

Here you go Marquis.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Cheers.

How much did they cost you? ($300/ea roughly)?
                      --
                      Marquis

Comment

Originally posted by marquis View Post
                        Cheers.

How much did they cost you? ($300/ea roughly)?
                        $289 ea fitted and balanced

Comment

Originally posted by Endorphin View Post
                          I end up finding someone with 4 tyres in Sydney and had them fitted yesterday. Will let you know what I think of them after next weekend when I take the truck out for a spin.

First impressions on the road are that they are a bit noisy between 40-70 kph. Also there is a bit of sidewall movement if you push the tyre a bit. Bear in mind I'm coming from HT tyres so I expect there would be a bit of a difference.

Thanks again to all those who pointed me in the right direction.

Cheers,
                          Mike
                          Spent the day in the blue mountains west of Sydney today. This was a good test for the new tyres. Most clubs would rate the tracks we were doing as medium difficulty. Plenty of large ruts and wombat holes to keep you focused.

Anyway gave the tyres a good run through sand, rocky tracks and bog holes. The tyres performed very well. I saw some cars with traction control and AT tyres having a few problems. However I seemed to have little trouble and I have open diffs and no traction control. I'm certainly no 4wd legend so the tyre must have a good deal to do with it.

Would recommend these tyres to anyone who was tossing up the STT or BFG MT equation.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by allanmac View Post
                            Agree with Walker 100%. MTR's are fine for everything, except mud. If all you want to do is play in mud, (the attraction for the crap still confuses me ) dont get the MTR's. Personally wouldnt touch BFG muddies, sure they are ok in the mud, but if they are going to also be your everyday tyre, get used to many 'character building' situations on wet bitumen roads.
                            This is a bit of a old thread but I have to ask why the BFG's are character building on wet roads. I have mine on my NL now for around 6 months and never once have they even thought about letting go on a wet bitumen road. They are no where near as noisy as I was made to believe, yes they do have road noise like any open tread tyre but it's a noise easy to live with. They are my everydy tyre and my wife drives the car every day and has never complained either.

I also have never been stuck yet with them.

I'd certainly buy them again, have absolutley no complaints. Although next time mudzilla's might get a go
                            Attached Files
                            NL 3.5, 2.5" Ironman suspension, 33" BF Muddies,

Comment

Endorphin, how are you finding the on-road noise? Is it bearable?
                              Any idea as to how it would compare to say, the Cooper ST?
                              Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X