Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tow bar - which one

Hi All,

Finally trying to get a bit more serious with 4WDing, I'd like to put the hitch and receiver style towbar - mainly for recovery from the rear, not so much for towing things. What I am not sure is which one.

I got a quote on Hayman Reese and ARB Tow Master from 2 separate vendors.
    The H.Reese I was told to be rated to 2.5 tons only, which to me sounds like not strong enough for recovery. The Tow Master was claimed to be "heavy duty" but I didn't clarify what that exactly means.

So, could anybody please share with me which one they chose, why and whether they end up finding their choice to be good? The weight of the unit is also a question, the lighter the better I suppose although then it might not be as strong?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Jonathan

Paj towbars generally come in 2 flavours. 1200KG is the light duty version and 2500KG is the heavy duty one. 2500KG is the max tow capacity of the Paj so that's the heaviest bar you can get.
    The rating is for towing a gross mass of 2500KG. When actually towing, ie in cornering and braking situations, there's a lot more than 2500KG's of force acting on the bar.

Get the heavy duty bar and you'll be fine.

Hayman Reece have a very good reputation and make excellent bars but are also a tad expensive. For occaisional recovery use any 2500KG rated bar will be good.
    Cheers, John.
    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
    Working...
    X