Front lokka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front lokka

Im looking to lock up the front end as I here no locker is available for the rear (If im wrong about this correct me NOW!!).

I Would love to get an ARB air locker for the front but my money really cant go that far. So Im looking at lokka auto lockers. Just wondering if any of you wise chaps out there have had any experience with auto lockers and what you think of them. BTW I would never put an auto locker in the rear of my truck! I just figure at the front its only working when offroad and at about 1/3 of the cost of an air locker well....

Also worth noting that by the sound of it lokka auto lockers work a bit different to other brands of auto lockers, have a read..

http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/html/lokka.htm

Cheers Jack
    1993 NJ LWB: UHF, bull bar, 2" Iron man coils/T-bars, 30mm coil spacers, 35mm body lift, long travel RS5000s, Cranked T-bars, lokka, 35x12.5 GoodYear MTR, light force 170s, Duel battery with selectable volt meter, roof basket, 9.5" rear diff - more to come!

I had one on the front of my Surf. Worked real well. I think the biggest improvement was down hill on steep slope seemed to hold the car up really well. Did the steepest slopes in the Flinders no need for brakes with the auto. You do know its there with the steering but you get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1993 NJ LWB View Post
      Im looking to lock up the front end as I here no locker is available for the rear (If im wrong about this correct me NOW!!).
      Umm, which engine do you have? If you've got the 3.0 V6, then a rear ARB is available. If you have the 3.5 or 2.8, you're (currently) out of luck - although ARB (reportedly) has on on the way.

I have front locker / rear LSD, and am happy with the performance.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

OK sounds good I do have the 3.0 v6. So now I need to decide what is better.
        1) front locker rear lsd
        2) open front rear locker

Im not sure how well my lsd is working atm.... Also it made a crunchy sound last time i tested it (refer to my lsd thread)
        1993 NJ LWB: UHF, bull bar, 2" Iron man coils/T-bars, 30mm coil spacers, 35mm body lift, long travel RS5000s, Cranked T-bars, lokka, 35x12.5 GoodYear MTR, light force 170s, Duel battery with selectable volt meter, roof basket, 9.5" rear diff - more to come!

Comment

I have a Front and Rear ARB Loccka on mine. Works Great. Currently the Front Loccka Isn't working at the moment. (Must be a Air leak on the Hose) Mine is a 3.0L NJ SWB
          NJ Shortie 3ltr
          ARB Bullbar, ARB Front and Rear Air Locca, polyair bag suspension, Airtek snorkel, Dual Battery setup, Exhaust setup, Big Doof Doof Stereo

Comment

Well getting front and rear sounds costly and all... I mean good. But If you can only get 1 for now what would you get.

1) front locker rear lsd
            2) open front rear locker

Atm Im thinking front as with IFS theres always 1 of the front tyres off the ground and lsd still counts for something(though not a lot).

Comment

Jack, you will get varied opinions on whether to go front or rear, but what it is worth;

Some say 'lokkas' are good others say terrible. Mate had one in the front of his Middy & continually broke CV's; everytime when reversing.

If you can hang out, save money & get an air locker.

Front or Rear?. IMO front everytime, especially as you have an lsd rear.
              NL Pajero,F&R airlockers, reduction gears, Ironman susp, ARB bullbar, Tigerz winch, Uniden UHF, roolite driving lights, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib &, BFG KM2' tyres

MUD SUCKS.

Comment

Originally posted by allanmac View Post
                Jack, you will get varied opinions on whether to go front or rear, but what it is worth;

Some say 'lokkas' are good others say terrible. Mate had one in the front of his Middy & continually broke CV's; everytime when reversing.

If you can hang out, save money & get an air locker.

Front or Rear?. IMO front everytime, especially as you have an lsd rear.
                I agree.

I like the rear LSD because it's "always on" - no need to worry about whether or not I might need it.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Originally posted by allanmac View Post
                  Mate had one in the front of his Middy & continually broke CV's; everytime when reversing.
                  Well that pretty much has scared me off!

Comment

Jack, you should also be aware that you will lose the ability to shift into 4H on the fly if you fit an auto locker (e.g. Lokka) to the front. This is due to the way the front axle disconnect works on the Super Select system.
                    2003 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB A/T (with rear diff lock)
                    1999 Patrol 4.5 GRX LWB M/T

Comment

Originally posted by pampaskat View Post
                      Jack, you should also be aware that you will lose the ability to shift into 4H on the fly if you fit an auto locker (e.g. Lokka) to the front. This is due to the way the front axle disconnect works on the Super Select system.
                      This does not apply to manual lockers though. Eg ARB air locker etc. Correct?
                      Retired - 2001 NM Exceed V6, 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, Wildcat Headers and Custom 2.5" Lukey Ultra Flo System, Milford barrier, Cooper HTs and GY MT/Rs, TJM sump and transmission bashplates

Comment

I have manual hubs anyway so I have to stop and get out for any sort of 4wd action.

Comment

Originally posted by Endorphin View Post
                          This does not apply to manual lockers though. Eg ARB air locker etc. Correct?
                          Correct. A manual locker is unlocked (a standard open differential) until somebody hits the switch to unlock it.

An auto-locker may be more accurately described as an auto-unlocker, which remains locked until there is enough "wind up" (to use a common concept) to trigger one wheel to unlock (at the diff centre.)

If you don't fit free-wheeling hubs your front prop-shaft will always turn with the front left wheel, increasing your fuel consumption.

Many Paj owners with front auto-unlockers have had nasty experiences in 4H on wet bitument - when one wheel decides to unlock in a bend the vehicle can decide to change lanes.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X