Tyre Wear Rear NP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre Wear Rear NP

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem.

Just taken a look at my rear tyres and have worn the inside edges through to the belts. They have cut out seriously on the inside 20 mm or so.

Towed a caravan (2100kg) with a weight distribution hitch about 2500 kms and the tyres looked fine before the trip. Just noticed them about 1500 kms after the trip a lucky seems to have caught them before a blow out.

The car was a little lower at the rear but could not put much more into the WDH - already had 5 links wound on and it was getting hard to lift over. I checked the total loads and was well within the total limits.

Anyone else experienced similar. About to change Tyres now from the Stock Factory Yokohama Geolanders - any ideas if a better tyre will help.

Cheers
    JC12456
    NP Pajero DiD Auto - 2004

Sounds like you need a wheel alignment. (yes on the rear)

If it's straight wear on inside then you need to adjust the camber.

If it's feathering towards the inside then you need to adjust the toe-in.

See info here - sections 31 and 34.

Suggest you obtain +150kg (or more) springs OR air bag springs for the rear - $200-$300 well spent.
    Last edited by marquis; 06-11-07, 10:53 PM.
    --
    Marquis
    SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

I have the same set up np + 2.1 caravan no problems with rear tyres
      The weight must be evenly distributed using the WDH, is the rig level through to to the van, if you are having problems lifting the bars on the WDH you can use the jockey wheel jack to lift the weight and it will be easier to lift the bars. Also the WDH bars should be of thickness to hadle the weight of the van.
      I use around 4 links but it depends the way your rig is set up.
      If you have had no problems on normal running before I would suggest it's the balance of the van and vehicle. A lot of people don't make sure the van and vehicle are level. But getting a wheel alignment would be a good idea.

PS I recently travelled 7500 km to the west no prolems

regards Garfield

Comment

Many thanks

Thanks for all the advice - tyres were scalloped which points to rear end alignment and loading changing tyre contact angles.

Have landed it was a combination of heavy loads, tyres getting to end of their life - got 89 000 kms out of a 5 tyre rotation on the factory G039 Yokohama's, the rear end has sagged a little with old age and hence camber out, probably needed a little more load on the WDH and a set of Firestone Air Bags or Polyairs as a helping hand.

Anyway 4 new Yoko G051's on their way with a front and rear end wheel alignment so let's see how things pan out.

The sister car an identical Pajero with 30 000 kms that has towed the van about the same distance is not showing the tyre wear so hoping it was the hgiher kms that was the cause.

Thanks for all the advice and comments

Comment

Hi JC

Get Kings HD springs in the rear and get a great rear alignment. If you are in melb try Centreline in Thomastown. They fixed up my NM after a series of stuff-ups by others.

You won't regret it.

Comment

Alignment is the underlying issue. Certainly with towing loads. It really pays to have it done regularly, as others have suggested, regardless of suspension upgrades or anything else, and it's not that expensive.
            NT Platinum DiD, 2" lift, Koni 88 + 90s, King Springs, X-Ray driving lights, ARB Bullbar & Snorkel, GME 4300, AT3 Coopers, GPS, Pioneer Onyx camper

Comment

[QUOTE=jc12456;4707

'Anyway 4 new Yoko G051's on their way with a front and rear end wheel alignment so let's see how things pan out.'

[/QUOTE]

How are you finding the GO51's? I'm just about to start looking at replacing the second set of GO39's (70K 1st set 86K 2nd set) and was considering the GO51's as an in between H/T - A/T option. I do 85-90% road & 10-15% off road so thought htese may be a 1/2 decent option!
              ChrisS 2015 NX, Steel MM Bull Bar, 22" Stedi STK4 Light Bar, MM H/D Hitch

Comment

Put some heavier springs under it to stop it sagging under load. You'll be amazed at how much better it rides.
                Cheers, John.
                LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

Yup...as everyone else has said ......get and alignment and then look for some heavier springs or the air bags. I just got my yearly alignment and the rear was out more than the front they said, which surprised me but its good to get one at least once a year sometimes twice if you offroad quite a bit.
                  03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Originally posted by jc12456 View Post
                    Thanks for all the advice - tyres were scalloped which points to rear end alignment and loading changing tyre contact angles.

Have landed it was a combination of heavy loads, tyres getting to end of their life - got 89 000 kms out of a 5 tyre rotation on the factory G039
                    I think you have done pretty well out of the OEM tyres. Considering the rear independant suspension will always tend to kick the bottom of the tyres outwards and wear the insides. Last time i went for a rotation the guy pointed out the scalloping on mine(inside rear). My own silly fault instead of the usual 5000km rotation (free at Bridgestone well included in the price of the tyres) i was too busy (slack) and left it to 20000. Now the damage is done. i don't think it is ever possible to wear a tyre totally even but rotation certainly can even the wear out...

cheers

Comment

I have had my rears chew out badly also, had several 4 wheel allignments, only to find eventually that (Due to beach work) the adjustment bolts and bits can sieze up a lot , and most alligners cant be bothered stugelling over them so just adjust to where they can ..leaving you well out in some cases. I have put it into a better mob who are going to replace some of the siezed bits and then allign it properly again. I suggest asking about this and make they give you a proper answer and allignment .. after all we are paying for a good job. most of us just assume it has been done well I got 58K out of my 1st set (even wear dist over the tyres) and at 107K the insides of my rear are shot to the canvas, but still plenty of tread left on the rest. So I wont be using the mob who did the last several allignments.
                      02 Exceed, Petrol, 2" Lift, Spotties, Extractors, New Diff. scratches, Sand, kids vommit, and over 7 years of magnificent memories, thats what its all about

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X